Refreshed 2015 Viper?

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This morning Sergio announced Chrysler's revised 5-year product plans which includes a number of number of new Fiat's and Alfa products coming to the US. In the brand review for SRT, it referenced Viper;

SRT: Chrysler Group's performance brand won't get another new vehicle in its lineup until 2016, but will get new refreshes of three existing vehicles in 2014. The Viper, released last year, will next be refreshed in 2015.

Is the refresh, the ACR?, a convertible version? Or?????

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOVE the cup holder comment LOL i bet 2014 convertible 2015 ACR but time will tell

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly... Chrysler's entire lineup needs a refresh. They need a few green cars to survive. The Chally is just not competitive in it's market segment any longer. The 300 and 200 aren't selling either. The Avenger, Caliber and Charger are outdated. Jeep is the glue holding Chrysler together at this point imo. I guess they sell some minivans and trucks too. The Viper is a halo car but a halo must sit atop something and they have their work cut out for them over the next several years.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's going to be an aluminum frame, convertible, seat massager/warmer, automatic transmission electric/methane hybrid.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately I too think that'll be the vert. Unfortunate in that I hate it's so far out. It may be the vert and the ACR, I'd hate to think that there's only one refrence to a refresh and we know the vert is coming, we already saw it, so if it's only the vert than no ACR?? Can't be, so maybe that's a reference to both models.

And I agree with V10, they need some type of refresh. It's like their cars are almost there, but just miss the mark IMO. At VOI I drove all the SRT cars and they were all super nice, but as I'm looing at a daily driver refresh myself in 2013, I find I try to look at the SRTs as an option because i want to support them, but I'm finding none of the models "hooks" me. I do wish they had a vert model of some kind in SRT. The Dodge commercials I think are pretty good but I've rented some Dodges (non SRT of course) on travel this past yr and they were disappointing in feel, fit, finish, etc., which surprised me, their marketing does a good job of making them look better than they are. Not beating on them, just my opinion while shopping Dodge & SRT products. (although the SRT Jeep is nuts, I drove that the most at VOI, but at $65K, for a Jeep, that just doesn't compute in my head, and I've had 3 Jeeps).

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps it will come with premier Nutria Rat matching luggage to appeal to the Ferrari crowd, budget style.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chrysler needs to decide what it wants to do.

Does it want to sell appliances like Toyota, or drivers cars like BMW - and choose the path.

To me, at this point, they are somewhere in the middle, possibly more towards appliances.

Honestly, if it weren't for the Viper there really isn't anything in their lineup I'd consider purchasing. We are SUV shopping for my wife and we haven't even considered stopping in an Chrysler (or child brand) dealership.

Last edited:

Ev0lv3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly... Chrysler's entire lineup needs a refresh. They need a few green cars to survive. The Chally is just not competitive in it's market segment any longer. The 300 and 200 aren't selling either. The Avenger, Caliber and Charger are outdated. Jeep is the glue holding Chrysler together at this point imo. I guess they sell some minivans and trucks too. The Viper is a halo car but a halo must sit atop something and they have their work cut out for them over the next several years.

I'd have to disagree with you.

http://www.ydr.com/business/ci_22479553/chrysler-2012-profit-jumps-higher-sales

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score

They have a Dart That's enough. Want more green they can refer them to a casket on wheels Fiat 500

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to say convertible for 2015, and hopefully ACR late 2014 (since its based on the coupe).

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Did you even look at the product plans? Chrysler's entire lineup is GETTING a refresh. Not only that, but fuel economy improvements are happening all across the board, they are right on target for the new CAFE standards. Also, with a 21% market growth over last year (compared to a 13% industry average), I don't think Chrysler/Fiat needs any tips on "surviving."

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Refresh means refresh. It does not mean new model. If there are no new Viper variants on the five year plan, it means that they have not yet been finally approved. That does not mean that they will not be approved. It just means that they have not yet been approved. We know by Ralph's December coments that both the convertible and ACR variants were, at that time, about two years away. That really is not very long from now considering that deliveries of the 2013 have not yet occurred.

As far as the refresh, I would exepect to see a somewhat more aggressive front fascia, different wheels, upgraded brakes ( at least as an option); different tires; and some interior equipment upgrades like a different screen and improved stereo, etc. They also may have a seat with more cushioning for us old guys with lower back issues. The Gen III and IV seats have far more cushioning than the Gen V seats I have sat in.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the real questions are as follows:

On the vert and the ACR will they be thier own platform or 2 versions of each based on the SRT and the GTS. That could be quite a few models on such a limited production car.

SRT Coupe
SRT Vert
SRT ACR

GTS Coupe
GTS Vert
GTS ACR

Bruce

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Chally is just not competitive in it's market segment any longer.
The Challenger SRT is its own segment. No one else makes a honking NA HEMI with the interior/trunk volume, mass, and great looks it has.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chrysler needs to decide what it wants to do.

Does it want to sell appliances like Toyota, or drivers cars like BMW - and choose the path.

To me, at this point, they are somewhere in the middle, possibly more towards appliances.

Honestly, if it weren't for the Viper there really isn't anything in their lineup I'd consider purchasing. We are SUV shopping for my wife and we haven't even considered stopping in an Chrysler (or child brand) dealership.

You mention SUV's and I've always wondered why Chrysler doesn't come out with a full size 3/4 ton SUV, the size of a Suburban but offer the Cummins diesel as an option. I know a lot of people settle for a 4 door 3/4 ton or bigger pickup when really they would prefer an SUV since it can be a soccer mom car during the week and haul the horse trailer, car trailer or RV on the weekend. I have no doubt that it would take a good chunk of sales away from the GM and Ford 4 door pickup crowd.

It amazes me how many women I see hauling horse trailers down the interestate with full size diesel trucks and not one item of cargo in the bed.

I really can't see how you could go wrong with 350 hp, 800 plus lbs of torque, the interior beauty of the new Ram and the ability to haul 8 people in style and comfort....did I mention you'd have no competition in this market segment? I guess I'll just keep my diesel Excursion until something better comes along.

Cheers,
George

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After getting handed down by the ZR1. I think we are gonna see some good changes here..

^^^This......I hope its not just a lot of exclusive limited paint options etc like with the gen IV.

Hopefully there will be an upgraded tire/brake combo along with a more compliant suspension tune for comfort and track for GTS and for the SRT. Basically a fully sorted setup. A redesigned front end with fogs might surface to go along with maybe a few more wheel choices. Either hood may be ordered on either model.

I think the ACR will come before the convertable per Ralph in an interview and is probably not included with that 2015 refresh reference. The refresh is most likely for the GTS/SRT models IMO.

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They have a Dart That's enough. Want more green they can refer them to a casket on wheels Fiat 500

This comment about Fiat doesn't help much. I would think we all want Fiat to be successful, or we'll be enthusiastic about a car and a company no longer in production or in business.

kickinasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no clue what V10 is talking about. The RAM is all new for 2013, while a MCR, it went way beyond that and has won Motor Trend Truck of the Year, TX Truck of the Year, and NAIAS Truck of the year, with more to come. It absolutely kills GM's new 2014 truck and while Ford is advertising best in class towing of 24,500... Ram is showing 30,000+. The 200 and Avenger are selling in record numbers. The plant is running 3 shifts around the clock. The Challenger is not in the same body class as the Mustang and Camaro, although it does compete there. It HAS a rear seat, is bigger and if you ever travel you would choose the Challenger over any of the other Pony cars. The 300 and Charger were new for 2011 and are selling good. The Charger is the only true sport E-Segment sedan of the big 3. Caliber has not been built since 2012, but Compass & Patriot are selling as fast as they can build them. Chrysler is the number one minivan producer and has been for years.

They just announced record sales of over 18% for last year, where industry average was 11%. While V10 might not have interest in Chrysler's products seems a lot of others do and are buying them.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sure there are items that SRT engineers wanted to put into the 2013 Viper, but ran out of time to develop. Believe these items will be integrated into the 2014. Over the years Viper has tended to add running improvements almost every year to make the car better. Between 96 and 97 they changed the stripes dashboards, wheels and other items. Small, but significant. Other years they added ABS or different pistons.

I do not expect SRT to stand still over the next few years either. Expect upgrades such as electronics, suspension, tires, interiors, the addition of convertibles and ACR models, and maybe some Mamba or other special editions. Also expect styling changes such as front and rear facias etc.

Nothing much different here other than what Viper has been doing all along.

(Now time to get back to the Supercharger discussion : >)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acmeinfolabs