Finally...

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally, I got to see the Gen V in person. I went to C&C this morning and I have to say that I am impressed.

I have been critical of the Gen V. I do like it and I have liked it all along. There are a few things about it that I didn't like and a few criticisms that made me feel like SRT went 90% of the way instead of all 100%. After seeing the car in person, which I knew I needed to do to make an honest assessment, I have decided to share the following.

First off, it was a Launch Edition. I'll start with the positives.

1) The Paint --- The paint was different than what I saw on Vipers previously. The flakes looked fantastic in the sun and the Viper tech was explaining how the paint is thicker and so is the clear coat. This is something you see on higher end cars. The washing he said he put the car through would have made previous Vipers need to get buffed, but this one didn't. The stripes look great as well being under the clear coat. I will say this though, the $5k to add them still seems stupid and I don't think I would ever have them painted at the factory. Too many reputable paintshops that do quality work that can accomplish the same thing for about half of what SRT wants.

2) Over all details --- I was not a fan of the headlights, but they didn't bother me either. After seeing them in person, I could tell lots of thought went into them. I actually think they compliment to flow of the hood as where previously I didn't. I guess it is one of those things I needed to see in person. The body lines of the car have a unique flow to them. Again, not something pictures do justice for. In pictures, we see a Gen 2 trying to be part of the 21st century, but in person the body lines seemed like endless flow. It is hard to put in words, but almost like a wave beginning to peak starting at the back of the car. Lastly for this category, The double-bubble roof. By far, the best roof line of all Vipers, maybe any car period. Just looks exotic and I have no other word to describe it.

3) The interior --- This was the most impressive part. Now, believe it or not, though I thought SRT did an excellent job on the interior, I really felt they were over selling it. I felt a good interior is not hard to do. I also felt like they didn't do anything revolutionary. They took a simple interior design and wrapped it with nice leather. Big deal, calm down. Now, that was how I felt up until this morning. Look, it is a simple interior, but I spent all morning looking at Ferrari's, Audi's. Lambo's, and this interior is truly up to par. I have to admit it. I have been in a DBS before and I was very impressed with it. I have to say I am absolutely impressed with the Viper interior. The steering wheel, the console, it really looks like a luxurious cockpit. The stitching, fit, and finish of the interior is what SRT was selling it as. I think it is the simplicity of it that makes it so nice. When you look at a 458, it has a gorgeous interior, but it is very simple and all business. The Viper is no different. I could use a little more carbon showing though. Some interior carbon trim that matches the under-hood and rear hatch would knock it out of the park for me.

Now that isn't to say I don't have some criticisms.

1) The front grille --- I will say this first. In person, it is much smaller than it looks in pictures and is much, much better than pictures show. However, you have this nice car all over and it feels interrupted at the grille. Partly because of the design doesn't flow with the car, but it is also because of the finish. It just looks cheap. However, I must stress, it isn't so bad in person.

2) Rear body panel --- Seeing this panel finished in a matte black looks just as cheap as the front grille and it seriously interrupts the flow of the stripes and the car. In carbon trim, I liked it. In the plain finish, it looks really bad.

3) Wheels --- I didn't like the Launch edition wheels in pictures and in person doesn't help either. SRT really, really missed the mark on this one. It would be safe to bet that if I bought a launch car, those would last only as long as it took for the replacements to get there.

Overall, I really like the car. Much, much more than I did yesterday. What I'm really excited to see now is the ACR version. For those that are lucky enough to be driving their own Gen V in the coming weeks, congratulations. I didn't see a ZR1 that could handle a candle to the presence that Viper had, let alone plenty of other exotics.

balance

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for this. If you had an opportunity to sit in the car can you describe the seats and headroom?

OP
OP
M

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't get to sit in it unfortunately. It is very obvious that it has more room than a Gen 3/4 just by looking at it. The seats are lower in the car, roof seems a smidge higher, and the seats are no where as thick as a Gen 3/4. You can tell there is more room than before.

TonyCool

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It was very entertaining to read through your opinion. I can't wait to see it in person my self. I have a feeling I'm going to love it too. I hope not too much as it's going to be out of my price range for a good while. Right now I'm convinced that looks wise I like my car and the 4th generation viper coupes better. But that might change when I see the gen V in person. There is no question that the interior, and the technology in the new car is much improved. I have no doubt that it provides the better driving experience between the two. I've always liked the second gen GTS vipers in person so there is a good chance I will love this car more than I can even imagine when I see it in person.

bcmarly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally, I got to see the Gen V in person.

1) The front grille --- I will say this first. In person, it is much smaller than it looks in pictures and is much, much better than pictures show. However, you have this nice car all over and it feels interrupted at the grille. Partly because of the design doesn't flow with the car, but it is also because of the finish. It just looks cheap. However, I must stress, it isn't so bad in person.

2) Rear body panel --- Seeing this panel finished in a matte black looks just as cheap as the front grille and it seriously interrupts the flow of the stripes and the car. In carbon trim, I liked it. In the plain finish, it looks really bad.

I agree with your assessment. The material of the front grill and rear under tray seem out of place with the rest of the car. The matte black rear, is this unique to the Launch Edition? All the other cars we've seen have (pictues, brochure) show a shiny rear section.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
u can get the rear brake bezel piece painted the exterior color of the car which looks a lot less cheap...in fact it looks great. unfortunately though only SRT models are candidates for it...i tried to order it that way in the GTS & couldn't. Still, black, gun metal or shadow blue colors blend better with it than the brighter ones so its not as bad. as for the front piece it interferes with the body more with striped cars with the break up in flow; not as bad with stripe delete. rest of the car profile, hood, roof, etc is great and needs no finagle n'

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All GTS cars have the black insert in the rear.

Finally, I got to see the Gen V in person.

I agree with your assessment. The material of the front grill and rear under tray seem out of place with the rest of the car. The matte black rear, is this unique to the Launch Edition? All the other cars we've seen have (pictues, brochure) show a shiny rear section.

Killer33

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Starting with February orders you can order the carbon fiber exterior option, that will help the look but it's very pricey. Wish it was available on the first batch and I'm hoping CF will be available aftermarket.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$136k...cash....in this economy...unseen.....undriven...and fingers crossed......hoping u guys are right in that the pics do it zero justice...gonna wait & see:eater:

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys who can order a car at this price... What real chance are you taking??? :dunno: Chance = None. Over drama = A lot.

If you hate it, sell it for a small loss and move on. (Small loss because anyone who can afford a $100+ play thing won't feel whatever loss you would have to take if you did not like it)

Congrats on being able to order such a great car. :2tu: But, don't over-dramatize the whole thing... LOL

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll clarify... We just bought a small (1500 sq ft) lake cottage for getaways, etc. I feel like it is taking a chance at $160K, but is it really? No... If we don't like it we put it on the market and get what we can and move on. Similar.

Oh, by the way... Thanks to the original poster for the preview comments. I may get one in 10 years. :drive: That means someone on this board please drive theirs nice--put a couple thousand on it a year--and take good care of it for me while I wait. :D