Vipers at COTA.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was a great weekend with my Viper at COTA. My best lap was a 2.34.88, on street tires. Video to come.
Saw some other cool Vipers as well. The raffel ACR-X, a Blue/White stripes GenIII, a couple of ACR's, White Gen II. What a facility!

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, it was a great weekend and a great facility.

Unfortunately, I had a few major "issues" with the car....:rolleyes:
I left Friday afternoon and had to drive 3 1/2 hours each way to get it fixed. The repairs took literally all night and I made it back to the track in time for my second session on Saturday. In addition, I had a "time out" in the ambulance late Saturday afternoon....
I still managed a 2:28....

My buddy with the Michelin car ran a 2:21.

Can't wait to go back. Hopefully without any problems and get a better lap time....:dunno:

OP
OP
G

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Treesnake, I saw you out there , met your buddy with the Michelin car, he told be about his clutch master cylinder, what problem did you encounter? ambulance?! *** happened? 2.28 and 2.21...way to go! :drive:Both of you guys had very very nice cars.
I can't wait to go back either. In fact, one of the guys I was with, (older 911 in Yellow group) is running a Boxster in the Grand Am at COTA, in March.

StoneP185, I thought you were the one who put the word on the VCA site about the event.:dunno: Sorry:(

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Treesnake, I saw you out there , met your buddy with the Michelin car, he told be about his clutch master cylinder, what problem did you encounter? ambulance?! *** happened? 2.28 and 2.21...way to go! :drive:Both of you guys had very very nice cars.
I can't wait to go back either. In fact, one of the guys I was with, (older 911 in Yellow group) is running a Boxster in the Grand Am at COTA, in March.

StoneP185, I thought you were the one who put the word on the VCA site about the event.:dunno: Sorry:(

I broke an axle. I found one near Dallas and took the car there to get replaced ASAP. When the car was on the lift we noticed about an
inch of play in the rear wheel. Lower rear tie rod was wasted. After some calls we found one about an hour away. This was around midnight. So the time it took to send someone after it, get back, install and re-align the car, plus the 3 1/2 hour drive back,
the sun was coming up..... :omg:
I had no choice but to finish with the repair. Especially with the rear wheel with an inch of play.
This was obviously changing the rear alignment according to the direction I was turning....

Then there was a minor incident with cold tires and turn 19...:smirk:

The ambulance.... Well, lets just say I over did it........:dunno:

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Treesnake, sorry to hear of your mechancial issues. I'm hoping that you didn't bang up your viper or get hurt! Looked at the Mike Skeen video, Track and facility looked real nice, but surprised how much 2nd gear is needed and maybe 10 seconds plus per lap in 4th. Gotta believe you can go through a set of hoosiers real quick at COTA. Mike

02viperacr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
gb66gth, i did not get a chance to speake with you. I had the grapite ACR with 2 red stripes. it was a lot of fun sorry i did not get a chance to come speak with you.

redtanrt10, you are correct that it does eat tires. I got 10 cycles before they were gone. The video Mike put up is my car.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great weather too....

You must be registered for see images attach

NOEXCUSES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GTS Dean
Who had the GTS-R?

Hi Dean, John Page here, been a long time..............
We used to run together at Skips Events back in the 90s
with SW, Tittle, etc........

Do you run anymore?
I plan on attending NARRA at TWS if I can get my tranny replaced in time.
The car is an old Archer GTS that we restored and built a new motor for which as always requires more & more $$

treesnake, it was good meeting you guys and your car is beautiful, hopefully we can run together in the near future.

Best Regards,
John Page

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Treesnake, did you run with a lap timer? What sort of times was Skeen doing? He really was turning in hard at the hairpin and running on the rev limiter and on gators, so I'm surprised your tires lasted ten cycles ... Looked like tons of fun though with a nice amount of clear track.

OP
OP
G

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
02viperacr, You were in a different run group so I got to watch you run (nice driving) but never did get a chance to talk

John Page, I met you and your wife very briefly in the hotel lobby. I was with Jeff Wiggins and Pat Heptig. ...love your car. treesnake is right, your car sounds nasty! I've never visited your facility I want to check it out.

treesnake, sorry to hear about your troubles. I think you deserve some kind of award for gutting it out. One of the guys I was with, in a white 911, had a wheel bearing go south on him, so he flew back to Dallas, got his street car (another 911), drove it back down and used it the rest of the weekend.

All in all, I hope we get to do it again!

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a high res version of this available? I sat right there at turn 1 on the grass for F1. Grass looks much more 'healed' than when I was there.

Yes, there will be. One of my buddies took all the photos and video. He is going to make a video similar to the RA video I post'd in the
SRT section. He has some great shots

Treesnake, did you run with a lap timer? What sort of times was Skeen doing? He really was turning in hard at the hairpin and running on the rev limiter and on gators, so I'm surprised your tires lasted ten cycles ... Looked like tons of fun though with a nice amount of clear track.

I was using my Racekeeper data logger. Skeen was in another group so I don't know what kind of times he was doing. My tires lasted a little longer because I didn't get to run a full day out of a the three we were there....:(

02viperacr, You were in a different run group so I got to watch you run (nice driving) but never did get a chance to talk

John Page, I met you and your wife very briefly in the hotel lobby. I was with Jeff Wiggins and Pat Heptig. ...love your car. treesnake is right, your car sounds nasty! I've never visited your facility I want to check it out.

treesnake, sorry to hear about your troubles. I think you deserve some kind of award for gutting it out. One of the guys I was with, in a white 911, had a wheel bearing go south on him, so he flew back to Dallas, got his street car (another 911), drove it back down and used it the rest of the weekend.

All in all, I hope we get to do it again!

After getting on that track, it would take a lot to keep me off of it. Much more than staying up all night to get car fixed.

It was worth the trouble and apparently your friend thought so too!!!!!...:headbang:

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey JP!

I haven't been on track in months, but that doesn't mean I'm completely out of the loop. I still have the GTS that used to run you pretty hard at TWS. I wish I could do NARRA, but I just have too many things on my plate right now. Hope to see you at the track one day before long! Let's take this offline, OK?

Dean

02viperacr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Boxer12, MIke was running my car he was runing 2:23 flat on worn out R6 he had a TBL of 2:22. I put a new set of tires on one run later and was able to drop 2 sec. i think Mike would have drop the same. in a stock street car running low 20s is a really good time. there was a lot of people saying they were running faster time BUT like most track days when you ask for the Data they seem to always have a issue and not able to provide real data.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave