CarAndDriver - Gen 5 vs Gen 2 Viper

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That video will only help Gen 2 people decide to keep their cars longer. Just more fun.

mgeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was a great video....sssse ya, very nice car and that must have been a great opportunity. Did they let you keep the yellow Gen V as a souvenir from the comparison?

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That video will only help Gen 2 people decide to keep their cars longer. Just more fun.

This ^^^^^

Plus, I'm too cheap to step up. The reality is that I have always thought that I can not have any more fun with a car than with the one I have. I don't need to get there 2 seconds quicker, or whatever the measure might be. The visceral inputs are all there with the Gen 2 GTS.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont EVER drive a Gen IV and prob a Gen V if you want to keep that view of the Gen II. The Gen II is all about the looks...gorgeous no doubt (yes, I have both) but not nearly as nice or fun to drive as the Gen IV motor, esp with 720 bhp like mine ;) Has anyone seen any comparos btwn the Gen V and the Gen IV ACR on the track??

Do I see PS tires on that Gen II? SSSSe Ya, its time to upgrade! You prob lost 2 sec with those tires!

Last edited:

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pictured side by side like that makes the newer one look like a Vette.

I don't see that. Gen2 and 5 to me look like twins with different hair cuts. I can kind of, barely, understand a gen3 being mistaken for a vette under head to head at speed passing. But the Gen5 from 20 yds away and moving, looks exactly like a gen2. In that pic it looks like a gen2 with an aftermarket hood and front bumper. Saying it looks vette like, is like saying a gen2 is vette like, I don't see it.

As far difference, maybe too long since I had my gen2, but I don't remember it being that bad compared to the 3/4. The 4 is stupid smooth, but some like that, some don't. But then, I was blinded by love with my gen2 so I still remeber it as a perfect car.

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was a great video....sssse ya, very nice car and that must have been a great opportunity. Did they let you keep the yellow Gen V as a souvenir from the comparison?

I wish , but the Wife and I had the opportunity to drive the Gen 5 around Willow Springs (streets). It is an amazing car. :drive:

1HOTV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish , but the Wife and I had the opportunity to drive the Gen 5 around Willow Springs (streets). It is an amazing car. :drive:
Wow Rob...Amazing that Cathy turned a 1.12 lap.
You need to post the Video on the So Cal site.

Cheers. Glenn

Last edited:

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont EVER drive a Gen IV and prob a Gen V if you want to keep that view of the Gen II.

Funny, I drove Kelly Cobean's Gen IV ACR before he sold it and I preferred my Gen II. As I told him that day, the Gen IV felt like a car my wife could drive. Not what I want.

Gen IV is a nice car, but we all have different ideas of what we like.

WDW MKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great vid! That GEN2 is definitely a great representation of the breed. The narrator's voice made want to shove q-tips in my ears, though...

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice video. Beautiful Gen II.

Unfortunately, this Video highlights the problem with Gen V: too much like Gen II and not enough forward-looking advances. For Gen II owners looking to move up it is great. Hopefully all Gen II owners and other Viper and non-Viper owners decide to purchase a Gen V so SRT will have a BIG budget for the next iterations and generations of the Viper. Time will tell.