Which Viper to buy?

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Viper Nation,
Will be in the market for my next Viper in late Spring. Have owned two previous 2002 FE coupes. Looking for SRT-C this time, up to mid $60s for low mile (under 3,000) stock car. I put 800 miles/year on my previous cars: local MCVO events, date night with wife, autocross and taking sons for rides (5/9 yrs old). I'm looking for a unique viper, maybe special edition or low color-combo unit.

The only GTS model I would consider is an extremely low mile ACR, but really want to jump into a Gen 3/4 this time. I realize 2006 had less HP but I LOVED the VCA edition red/white - almost traded my GTS for one. I also love the VOI9 white/blue car. I think mid 60's should easily buy a low mile 2006 coupe, but not sure if I can find a low mile 08 in that price range. 3 questions:

1. Have any of you regretted going from a Gen 2 to Gen 3/4? I assume not many...
2. Based on above plans, would you pay more for an 08-10 coupe 600hp vs the '06 510hp? I realize having the one model year with less HP can be less desirable but 510 is enough for my use and the three 2006 special editions (VCA red/white, VOI9 white/blue and 1st edition blue/white) would be pretty unique. Do you agree or should I just go with an '08 non-special edition with more HP?
3. Brakes, suspension/handling are going to be the same right? Just HP and hood are different?

Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate and value Viper owner's opinions/experience and look forward to being back in a snake for the Summer.

John

Last edited:

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a current 08 owner, (never owned but did cross shop 06 coupes) Everything I have read here people who have stepped up to a Gen IV from Gen III have nothing but great things to say in the improvements. It's not just HP and hood. Rear end, oiling of the engine, exhaust, the ride, transmission, clutch etc. I guess from my point if you want a stock/relatively stock car 08+ is the way to go. If you want 700+ HP, slap a supercharger on or tune the PCM etc Gen III is the way to go. I have always been a tuner, I like to upgrade, but I figured cost of a low mileage 06 + upgrades to improve to 08 territory I would have spent thousands more than buying the 08 from the get go and I didn't see myself needing 1000+ hp (however I do dream of it LOL)

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello! Great to hear there may be another MCVO memeber!

Mid 60's should get you a lot mile 06 coupe easy. Dipping into a 08 at that price range but you would be looking at a car with probably 10k+ miles.

1-I went from my 99 GTS to my 08. No going back for me. The GTS was amazing, but a world of difference. GTS styling is still the best.
2-If you have intentions of heavily modding (I'm guessing you don't) spring for the 08. There is more then HP difference as you will find if you search threads. Hood, rear end, computer etc.
3-If miles are your concern look at it this way. The 08 would most likely have a warranty still. Usually anyone that purchased the MaxCare would still be valid for a little while even.

GL with your search!

-Tim

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly, since you aren't going to mod the car, get an 08. I've had 3 Gen IIIs and assumed the Gen IV was just a faster Gen III...that what a terrible mistake. It's sooo much more than that after a few hundred miles in one!

At your price point, you'll still end up with a sub 10k car, either 06 or 08. With that low mileage, it won't show wear anyways. Good luck!

ZZ SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my private party 2008 coupe for $64,500. It had 2,000 miles and was one owner, not a scratch or mod on the car, nav system, etc.

So it's possible to find one in your price range with low mileage.

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've owned 2 gen 2 coupes (ACR and FE/Daytona24), a gen 3 coupe (VOI 9), and a gen 4 (09). The gen 4 was by far the best car. I sold it back in October for $65k w only 3k miles. Deals are out there.

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No regrets whatsoever going from a 02 FE to an 08 Vert. Like others have said, if you are patient, you will find a low mile 08 for mid 60s. I've driven both the gen 3 and 4 and the 4 wins hands down, unless you are going to mod heavily!

cashcorn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
newer - always - better? i'm currently debating between gen4 or gen5. i'm leaning towards a 2010 gen4 vert. love the fat stripes, better transmission gearing and limited #'s.. too each his own.:)

1bad540

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just recently purchased a sub 4k mile gen 3. If your looking in the 60's def try for the 08. If you want to save 10k the gen 3 is just as cool.

purplesnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As a current 08 owner, (never owned but did cross shop 06 coupes) Everything I have read here people who have stepped up to a Gen IV from Gen III have nothing but great things to say in the improvements. It's not just HP and hood. Rear end, oiling of the engine, exhaust, the ride, transmission, clutch etc. I guess from my point if you want a stock/relatively stock car 08+ is the way to go. If you want 700+ HP, slap a supercharger on or tune the PCM etc Gen III is the way to go. I have always been a tuner, I like to upgrade, but I figured cost of a low mileage 06 + upgrades to improve to 08 territory I would have spent thousands more than buying the 08 from the get go and I didn't see myself needing 1000+ hp (however I do dream of it LOL)

ACR nailed this and there are several threads on the subject. There is much more than just HP and hood. I struggled with getting rid of my 05, but when I got my 08, I was struck by how different 2 cars could drive that basically looked the same. So unless you have the mod bug, go with the gen 4. Good luck.:drive:

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're not going to do major mods, go with a Gen 4. If you really like to tinker and mod the car, go with an 2006.

Here is what I have found in my experince:

The Gen 4 has more HP, but less torque down low than a Gen 3. It needs to rev and above 5k rpm, watch out it is a blast. A stock Gen 3 feels like it starts to run out of breath above 5k rpm to me.

The drive by wire on the Gen 4 absolutely *****, it is an embarrassment and nobody has a fix for it. (compare it to a Gen 3, Ford GT or even a Mustang and you'll see what I mean).

The clutch has some issues on a Gen 4, ever wonder why just about every ACR-X racecar has the aftermarket BBG upgraded clutch? I replaced mine and with the lighter weight it really makes the car snappy and shifts much more predictably than the stock system.

I've changed out to the close ratio 6 speed, built to the hilt and it's awesome. Stock trans on either Gen 3 or 4 have a useless 5th and 6th gear. Mileage concerns be damned. I want useable gears. I turn around 2k rpm at 70ish mph in 6th gear with 3.55's.

The 3.07 rear gear ***** on both cars in my opinion. The Gen 3 posi *****, the Gen 4 posi is excellent. I upgraded to 3.55's with an OS Giken diff. The car is driveable in all 6 gears now, very fun to drive on a road couse or stop and go driving.

I put an ACR-X header and exhaust system on my car. Stock the Gen 4 exhaust is fine for 90% of the people. The Gen 3 system is heavy and a little strange in its design compared to the simplicity of the Gen 4.

You can tune, supercharge, turbo charge and modify the hell out of a Gen 3 motor.

You can't do much to a Gen 4. The Gen 4 computer is locked. Did I mention the Gen 4 computer is locked? :mad:

Good luck with your decisions,

George

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen 4 has more HP, but less torque down low than a Gen 3. It needs to rev and above 5k rpm, watch out it is a blast. A stock Gen 3 feels like it starts to run out of breath above 5k rpm to me.

The drive by wire on the Gen 4 absolutely *****, it is an embarrassment and nobody has a fix for it. (compare it to a Gen 3, Ford GT or even a Mustang and you'll see what I mean).

I totally agree. The Mopar controller didn't seem to help the drive by wire much. Also replaced the exhaust with a Belanger setup. The stock was a little too tame, although I have some drone at certain revs (solution, change gears or go faster :D)

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've owned Gen III and GenIV. The III is fast, the IV is hyper fast.
If you're going to mod, go III. If not, go IV.
Also if you plan on tracking, go IV.
Just my $0.02

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen a few 09 VIO 10s in the low 70s asking price, I bet you could get them down to 60s.

RD

nate1121

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been on the hunt recently myself and while my price range is lower (GenIII vert most likely) I've seen plenty of GenIII coupes for less than 65. I know there is at least one on Ebay for 64,*** w/ under 5k on it. While you might be able to find an 08, I don't know if you'd be able to get one with such low mileage without somebody needing a very quick sell. Seems they are more in the 70k range. This is just what I've been seeing recently though. Best of luck on the purchase.

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are only planning to drive 800 miles a year it won't matter much which one you get. If you think you will do more, then definitely get the Gen 4. I would not discount buying cars with more than 3000 miles on them to get into your budgeted price range. Have 15k on my 08 and it has been perfect thus far.

BlackOutBoxing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had 10 different gen 1 and 2's. Then i went to a gen 3. Sold it in a month and went back to a gen 2. Got tired of people saying nice vette. It does drive nicer, break better etc.....,but the gen 2 put a bigger smile on my face! The styling is unmatched to this day:)

BlackOutBoxing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had 10 different gen 1 and 2's. Then i went to a gen 3. Sold it in a month and went back to a gen 2. Got tired of people saying nice vette. It does drive nicer, break better etc.....,but the gen 2 put a bigger smile on my face! The styling is unmatched to this day:)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950