New Viper Club member and first time viper owner

dru282

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Dru and I have just become a first time Viper owner. I have always been a Vette guy but I have never anticipated a car like this before. I am having the car shipped from Texas and am expecting the car this Sunday. I live in the Joppa Md. area and was just wondering if there was any other owners in the area who could tell me more about the car or to introduce me to other owners. I was always into the Vette community and look forward to doing the same with you all. Thanks again from a very excited and happy new Viper owner. P.S. It is a 99 GTS.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome! Many of were previously Corvette owners and amny still are. In just a few weeks, you have a perfect opportunity to learn more about your car. March 9'th is Oil Change Day at my shop in Delaware. Would be a nice ride and even if you don't want to do any service work, we could put your car on the lift and give you a tour of the underside. It is a FREE event and I buy Pizza! Just bring your own Oil, Filter and fluids.

OP
OP
D

dru282

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Steve . I would love to attend. Please let me know where its at in Delaware I am only about half an hour from the border. I Know about all there is to know on old and new vettes alike but i am like a fish out of water on Vipers. I just always thought it was the ultimate car. Thanks again and look forward to meeting you

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome Dru,

Why the change from Vette to Viper?

You'll have to hook up with our Delaware crew sometime. We'd be more than happy to look the car over for you.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol, while i was typing my response Steve beat me to it.

OP
OP
D

dru282

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still love the Vettes I just see to many of the new ones and I can't take the old ones out and enjoy them like I would like to. I always thought the viper was the best of both worlds exotic, American and not something that is a nightmare to maintain. I have owned many Vettes but I have never been this excited to get a car. I can't wait for Sunday. As I said Delaware is right around the corner and I have family that live in South Jersey so I am always in your state. I look forward to meeting you all and considering I don't know much about the upkeep on this car it wouldn't hurt to get an oil change when I come up on the 9Th. Thanks again

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome! Many of were previously Corvette owners and amny still are. In just a few weeks, you have a perfect opportunity to learn more about your car. March 9'th is Oil Change Day at my shop in Delaware. Would be a nice ride and even if you don't want to do any service work, we could put your car on the lift and give you a tour of the underside. It is a FREE event and I buy Pizza! Just bring your own Oil, Filter and fluids.

Steve let me know you address and may be directions. Dennis in NJ

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratz Dru. When it gets there tomorrow from Texas snapp a few pics and post them as somebody will eventually demand it. :D

I know what you mean about being more excited about this car than others. Can't really explain it but it happens... sounds like you've been bit. :1up:
Mike

OP
OP
D

dru282

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you all for the kind words. Tomorrow can't get here fast enough. I am also looking forward to seeing you all at events and the like. I enjoy the whole car experience and that was one reason I really enjoyed Corvettes was all of the shows and club offerings. Again though there is surely a different feeling on this car than I have had in the past. Thank you all again and I will let you know how it goes tomorrow.

OP
OP
D

dru282

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know one good way to describe it is when you tell someone you own a Vette the first thing they say is what year. When you say you have a Viper they just say wow.

OP
OP
D

dru282

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Stretch. I will really feel like it once I have it in my posession.

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes indeed. I would recommend putting a comfortable chair in the garage so you can go out there and stare at it :D

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the best club on earth! :yay:

Congrats as well ont he car! You will love it! Be sure to be mindful of the back end walk on wide open throttle. These cars are a lot more crude when the tires break loose. Vettes let you know. Vipers dont until its too late! Just be mindful! :)

Robert

OP
OP
D

dru282

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got the car today. Everything was as advertized. I couldn,t be happier. Really rides different than what i am used to but it takes you back to the more primitive which I really like. The car is silver with the black interior. When I figure out how to post picks I will. One question I was looking on some Viper web sites including the Viper store and I see the Last Vin # for 1999 is 503946 but mine is # 503947 does anyone know anything about this. I really enjoyed driving this car today it is a blast. I know I made the right move. Thank you all again for your kind responses.

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that most Vipers have not gone down the line in order of the VIN's... with the exeption of the 100 GT2's they built in 1998.

P i c t u r e s ! ! :D

OP
OP
D

dru282

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
I hope these pics work. The car is great. I am a very proud Viper owner I just don't know what took so long

OP
OP
D

dru282

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks I appreciate it. I couldn't be happier with the car.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
One question I was looking on some Viper web sites including the Viper
store and I see the Last Vin # for 1999 is 503946 but mine is # 503947
does anyone know anything about this.

Always loved that combo too, right behind Graphite/Silver and (of course)
White/Blue...

To answer your question: 99 vipers are not built in sequential order. Since
parts are assigned by VIN, availibility and special orders cause cars to be
built when possible as opposed to being.. "stamped out" as it were. One
thing to be sure though, yours was one of the last 99s built and possibly
the last Silver/Blue GTS. (Course, it would take a lot to prove it.)

Welcome to the addiction - hope to see you at Steve's!

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dru, Congrats on the car. I had a '98 Silver / Blue, and loved it. I would suggest calling your local Dodge dealer, give them your VIN, ask them for the paint code(s), on your car. If their computer comes back with two paint codes (one for silver, and one for blue stripes), that means your stripes are OEM, and you have a 1 of 22 car. One paint code means the stripes were after market, and that's Ok too, because it's still a beautiful car.

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking at the stripes on the hood it's not a true silver/blue striped gts. The OP probably already knows this, maybe he doesn't.

Wolfc2e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the group! Sounds like you've already been bitten and I can understand why. Looks excellent! Enjoy, and hope to see you at Steve's.

OP
OP
D

dru282

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I will be at Steves. I just removed those blue stipes. Not fun at all. They had some imperfections in them. Like most stripes there are some markings from where they were so I decided to order the carbon fiber ones to bring out the silver and black on the car. I am taking it Tuesday to the dealer to have him go over it and make sure all is good. I have already lost sleep and missed a day of work because I can't stop fiddling with the car. I have had a lot of cool cars but I have never had anything quite like this. Thanks again guys for all the info.

unreelviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dru, congratulations and welcome to the club! I too love your color combination. I, like Gus, had an 1998 GTS in the same color combination and I absolutely loved that color combo!!!! Again, "Welcome"!!!!

GTLaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I will be at Steves. I just removed those blue stipes. Not fun at all. They had some imperfections in them. Like most stripes there are some markings from where they were so I decided to order the carbon fiber ones to bring out the silver and black on the car. I am taking it Tuesday to the dealer to have him go over it and make sure all is good. I have already lost sleep and missed a day of work because I can't stop fiddling with the car. I have had a lot of cool cars but I have never had anything quite like this. Thanks again guys for all the info.

What dealer? Don't make the mistake of taking it anywhere other than Jeff @ Springfiled Dodge if your insisting on only having a dealer look over it? He's the only Viper tech left at a dealer that knows what he is doing and had a license when these cars came out. There are a few other very good techs around but not at a dealer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper