Gen 4 Race Controller Queston

CaptainDavid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in a Georgia region which does emission testing. Looking for information if the (2008 - 2010 Viper Race Engine Controller - P5155254AB) will pass emissions in Georgia. I know it will fail California testing, but Ga rules are less strengent. any wisdom out there,
once again thanks guys
There are several of us looking for this answer.

:drive:

F

FrgMstr

The Mopar PCM is not street legal and when the inspection station plugs into the OBDII controller, they will get no readout therefore they cannot pass the car legally, IF that is how they do it in GA. I registered my Viper in a county in East Texas that I own property in which does not require the OBDII check. In Texas there is not a sniff test any more for newer cars. They just want to see if the car is throwing any CEL codes.

OP
OP
C

CaptainDavid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, they ( the inspection stations) do plug into the OBDII controller. Seems when you take a Viper in they pay special attention. This all started when I;m trying to eliminate the skip shift feature in a 2010 ( which is diffrent than previous models). One of the features of the controller is that it eliminates the skip shift, as well as other desirable results.

Reaction score

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought I recall the skip shift eliminators do not officially "work" on the 08-10, something about setting a CEL eventually.

Reaction score
Something to check with SRT, as the biggest change in the 2008 transmission was going to the TR6060 vs. the previous T-56. The Challenger also used the TR6060 6-speed starting in 2009 and there are several skip-shift eliminators built for them all the way up to 2012, presumably without throwing a CEL. We will report back what we find.

viper450

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does Georgia test every year? Here in PA they test once and if you do not exceed 5,000 miles a year your are exempt in future years. You may want to check your law as you could have the testing done once and be exempt in the future. I would get it tested then make all your mods if thats the case.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does Georgia test every year? Here in PA they test once and if you do not exceed 5,000 miles a year your are exempt in future years. You may want to check your law as you could have the testing done once and be exempt in the future. I would get it tested then make all your mods if thats the case.

But here in PA, you have to pass the FIRST time, before you become exempt. And with the race PCM, it's uh...well, don't ask me how I know!

Reaction score
Okay, here is what we learned: Starting in 2009, CARB/EPA required that the Viper skip shift diagnostic not only performed a simple circuit check (as it had in previous years), but also include a rationality check to determine if the skip shift actually took place. This means that you could no longer install a simple load device that looks like the solenoid electrically such as used in previous generations. Simply said, the rationality check looks for the correct rpm drop when the skip shift is enabled and the vehicle shift occurs in that window and if, after six consecutive samples the rpm drop is not correct, it will throw a CEL as it interprets it as a malfunctioning system. The Mopar controller eliminates that of course.

Going back to your Georgia emissions, we have a customer in Atlanta who uses the Mopar controller with various other mods. We believe that he simply swaps out his original controller as needed, making sure to get in a few drive cycles beforehand so that the system relearns for any potential testing. We haven't heard of any issues.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So we are good to go, on a 09 or 10 model?

Good to go as far as what?

For 2009-2010 Vipers, the plug and play skip shift resistor trick will not work due to the added checks in the PCM for functionality. 2008s should still be able to use the standard aftermarket plug and play skip shift trickers.

As for emissions with the Mopar Race Controller, they'll never pass a plug and play emissions test.

F

FrgMstr

Which is why you should always keep your original controller available. :2tu:

And that is all fine and dandy IF and only IF you are using the Mopar controller for the skip shift elimination. Yes it is easily swapped out and a 50 to 100 mile run will set the computer back up to pass OBDII checks for inspection in most states. However if you have changed headers and cats, you will likely get CELs with the stock controller, which puts you back in the no-pass category at inspection. Just something to think about when you are making mods to the GenIV Viper.

I do have to give kudos to VPA being much more active and responsive to VCA members needs in the last year! Good job.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave