Who is planning on upgrading parts right away?

Reaction score
The problem with this is that Mopar has a relationship with KW already hence the ACR shock setup, the downside is the ride. The MCS although a better option IMO would be hard pressed to get in the door at SRT supplier wise, and the production times for the shocks and parts supplies would probably be hard to satisfy SRT's inevitable demands for a relatively small company. That said we have replaced enough ACR shocks for the old Motons and new MCS versions that I think it will be very popular and competitively priced.

I get what you are saying and I too expect more options in the future.

However lets think about the profit on the paint job. How many are going for the Stryker Red paint option vs the other paints? Compare that with how many "likely" would go with a 10k suspension option that included the MCS and a Lift System. I'd wager that there would be MUCH more buyers ticking that 10k suspension box than the Stryker Red box. Therefore that 10k option would end up making SRT a lot more money than the fewer 20k paint jobs.

Id bet too that if someone has the money for the 20k paint job they would also tick the 10k suspension upgrade box too making SRT even more money. It just makes sense imho for SRT to offer such a package. Why let the aftermarket get 100% of those profits when they can get some percentage of that profit by getting a factory deal with Moton and whoever could engineer that Lift System?

Just my thoughts. Pure speculation of course but it would be interesting to see a poll on which option most would prefer....Maybe SRT would look into something like this in the future if the majority wanted it.

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I may do something in the future to the suspension. It would be ideal if someone came out with lowering springs that keep the same spring rate and work well with the stock GTS 2-mode dampers. Lower this bad boy just a little, maybe 1/2" or so. Enough to improve the stance, but not bounce off the bumpstops or scrape on speed bumps.

Maybe lower spring caps could do just that ? Just lower the stock set-up by 1/2" or so, same as for the Gen IV suspension.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem with this is that Mopar has a relationship with KW already hence the ACR shock setup, the downside is the ride. The MCS although a better option IMO would be hard pressed to get in the door at SRT supplier wise, and the production times for the shocks and parts supplies would probably be hard to satisfy SRT's inevitable demands for a relatively small company. That said we have replaced enough ACR shocks for the old Motons and new MCS versions that I think it will be very popular and competitively priced.

I see. Hmmm......Well they swapped the Michelin tires for the Pirelli's so Id imagine the same can be done with the KW's and MCS's and as you have said and many others agree, the MCS is the superior product. And its not that much more expensive than the KW system. I know the tire situation with Michelin/SRT was more complicated than just swapping but you get my drift.

Imo I think the KW is just fine for the previous Gens demeanor as none of them were marketed as "GT" cars. However the new GTS is marketed as such so it would behoove SRT to offer a suspension that can deliver on that premise. From what Ive read the MCS does this while so far it appears the stock Gen V suspension doesn't do that so much.

Of course, my line of thinking is for future 2014 models and up as I think ViperSmith is right on with them just wanting to "get things to market" and so forth while later years may just benefit from a much better and more practical option list. Hopefully the future options will include MCS, CCB's, Lift System etc aside from the usual options.

With SRT and Ralph clearly showing that they are listening to not just the Viper faithful but also those on the outside looking in, we may just get some of these things in the future if enough clamor for it especially of Fiat opens up the Viper budget.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe lower spring caps could do just that ? Just lower the stock set-up by 1/2" or so, same as for the Gen IV suspension.

Lower spring caps? You have my interest. Is this something that was done for the Gen IV? Please elaborate.

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lower spring caps? You have my interest. Is this something that was done for the Gen IV? Please elaborate.

Yes ! I had those on my Gen IV, it would lower the stock suspension by .65" to .75" as they say in this Parts catalogue.
All that's needed is to realign the car after install
A really cheap mod that does the job if you only want to lower a bit.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes ! I had those on my Gen IV, it would lower the stock suspension by .65" to .75" as they say in this Parts catalogue.
All that's needed is to realign the car after install
A really cheap mod that does the job if you only want to lower a bit.

Claude, thank you! That is exactly what I'm looking for. Hopefully it'll fit the Gen V.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had ordered similar lowering caps for my SRT-6

Are the stock Viper caps aluminum?

Kratos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will an aftermarket shop have to do the install and tuning, or can it be setup with the headers from the dealer and the altered pcm?

Reaction score
Depends on the dealer and your trust in them doing the work, especially if they never work on Vipers or other high end cars, so that they know how to treat you and your Viper.

Yes you can have all this and more done at Woodhouse, probably 75% of our new Viper sales receive some sort of goodies in the shop before they are shipped to their new homes.

Will an aftermarket shop have to do the install and tuning, or can it be setup with the headers from the dealer and the altered pcm?

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I plan on keeping the car stock for a while just to get used to the ride and sound. But first mod will be an exhaust upgrade

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I plan on keeping the car stock for a while just to get used to the ride and sound. But first mod will be an exhaust upgrade

I agree, I'll drive it for a while and see if I really want to do anything. I'll likely lower it a little, but since we haven't seen the production ride height, who knows, maybe it'll be fine. Ralph did say that they adjusted the ride height.

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, I'll drive it for a while and see if I really want to do anything. I'll likely lower it a little, but since we haven't seen the production ride height, who knows, maybe it'll be fine. Ralph did say that they adjusted the ride height.

Same here, no rush with mods.....after adjusting exhaust sound and ride height , of course !

Kratos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends on the dealer and your trust in them doing the work, especially if they never work on Vipers or other high end cars, so that they know how to treat you and your Viper.

Yes you can have all this and more done at Woodhouse, probably 75% of our new Viper sales receive some sort of goodies in the shop before they are shipped to their new homes.

You guys are in Kansas City? I wonder how far that is from south Mississippi......

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
No we are in Blair, Nebraska -- just north of Omaha about 20 miles . But we are super close to I-29, I-80 and we have 5 enclosed trailers that deliver vehicles around the Country, so Mississippi is closer than you might think,ha?

Thanks for asking.

OP
OP
V

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I finally got around to getting my VIN, 400058! No idea when it will be here though LOL.

Ordering this has been a test of my patience, I am such an impulsive person.

Reaction score
What is the status of the factory warranty after finishing this work?

All bets are off, actual problem encountered and the dealer/Rep will also matter, but with all the Gen4 Vipers running around with them and very little trouble it is not a huge gamble reliability wise. The power options for the Gen5's will lag behind their release so if there are any things that need to be sorted out they will be known well before anyone gets ready to upgrade, I'm sure the engine will be just as reliable though.

wirepaladin08

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All bets are off, actual problem encountered and the dealer/Rep will also matter, but with all the Gen4 Vipers running around with them and very little trouble it is not a huge gamble reliability wise. The power options for the Gen5's will lag behind their release so if there are any things that need to be sorted out they will be known well before anyone gets ready to upgrade, I'm sure the engine will be just as reliable though.

Thanks for the candid response. I realize that the chances of a major problem following a mod are slim. But then the chances of my house being destroyed are slim, too -- but I still have homeowners insurance. If I spend well north of $100K on a car, I really like to have a warranty the factory is not going to walk away from. But I also know that is an individual decision and many people will disagree with me.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the candid response. I realize that the chances of a major problem following a mod are slim. But then the chances of my house being destroyed are slim, too -- but I still have homeowners insurance. If I spend well north of $100K on a car, I really like to have a warranty the factory is not going to walk away from. But I also know that is an individual decision and many people will disagree with me.

Aftermarket parts installed do not automatically void your factory warranty. If you installed a Mopar PCM for example, the PCM is not covered under your factory warranty and if anything failed in the vehicle and it was tied to the Mopar PCM, the warranty on that item could not be covered. However the entire warranty on the car is not void.

Example. Install a Mopar PCM and your rear end fails. Chrysler would have to tie rear end failure to the PCM in order to not cover it under the manufacturers warranty. You install a Mopar PCM and the window regulator fails, again they would have to tie the window regulator failure to the Mopar PCM.

The manufacturer has to tie the failure to the aftermarket part, be it self installed, the shop down the street or the dealer that sold it to you. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for manufacturers to simply void your warranty because you chose to use an aftermarket part.

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aftermarket parts installed do not automatically void your factory warranty. If you installed a Mopar PCM for example, the PCM is not covered under your factory warranty and if anything failed in the vehicle and it was tied to the Mopar PCM, the warranty on that item could not be covered. However the entire warranty on the car is not void.

Example. Install a Mopar PCM and your rear end fails. Chrysler would have to tie rear end failure to the PCM in order to not cover it under the manufacturers warranty. You install a Mopar PCM and the window regulator fails, again they would have to tie the window regulator failure to the Mopar PCM.

The manufacturer has to tie the failure to the aftermarket part, be it self installed, the shop down the street or the dealer that sold it to you. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for manufacturers to simply void your warranty because you chose to use an aftermarket part.

Exactly. I was always told that if someone wants to void your warranty, they have to definitively prove your modification led to failure.

OP
OP
V

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly. I was always told that if someone wants to void your warranty, they have to definitively prove your modification led to failure.

Yeah - but it is easy for them to say they have "voided your warranty" if you have nothing to challenge it with, which is where most people fall into. eg: You don't have cash to hire a lawyer if they put up some fight.

I'd assume if you have the coin to buy a Viper, you have more means to say "Yeah, bull****, prove it"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave