Who is planning on upgrading parts right away?

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If so, what?

Looking at the MOPAR goodie list, I have to say it will be hard not to replace headers/exhaust as soon as they are available.

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MCS coilovers for sure, maybe exhaust.

I hope they figure out a way to add the MCS suspension to the GTS model. I hope to get my hands on a GTS blue car which is only available in GTS trim. Oh well, I have a couple of years.

Nambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope they figure out a way to add the MCS suspension to the GTS model. I hope to get my hands on a GTS blue car which is only available in GTS trim. Oh well, I have a couple of years.

I feel your pain. I first intended to order a GTS blue GTS but ended up going with the SRT to skip the electronic suspension.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just ordered a set of SRT Venom wheels, polished face with hyper black pockets. This will be for my street tires, I'm going to save the Corsas and Sidewinder II's for track use. As for street tires, I'm waiting until the last minute before I buy mine. Santa, give us an early Christmas present- Michelin Pilot Super Sports in Gen V sizes! I know, I'm dreaming.

I may do something in the future to the suspension. It would be ideal if someone came out with lowering springs that keep the same spring rate and work well with the stock GTS 2-mode dampers. Lower this bad boy just a little, maybe 1/2" or so. Enough to improve the stance, but not bounce off the bumpstops or scrape on speed bumps.

OP
OP
V

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^^

LOL, god I'll be happy if it is high enough I don't seesaw getting into my garage (it is reported 5'' clearance, I have 4.5''...)

i may need to have the lip of my garage shaved down

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i suspect the exhaust might do well with a mopar upgrade but I'd like to experience the car stock before deciding. I remember the first time Jay Leno started the new snake he surprisingly asked the SRT people "is that factory??" and said "That's stock!!" sounded pleasantly surprised. :)

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It won't take Balenger to too long to give us a choice of headers. Penske or Moton double adjustable shocks will give you everything you need and they are ride height adjustable.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As the other guys pointed out, I'm a little worried about replacing the 2-mode GTS shocks with aftermarket, might be a hiccup with the computer with the sensors and all. Hopefully, that won't be an issue, but time will tell.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As the other guys pointed out, I'm a little worried about replacing the 2-mode GTS shocks with aftermarket, might be a hiccup with the computer with the sensors and all. Hopefully, that won't be an issue, but time will tell.

At the 2010 SEMA show, one of the learning seminars a buddy of mine went to was on stability controlled vehicles and the effects of different sized tires, lift kits and lowering kits. Some of the new vehicles coming out were supposed to be very sensitive to these changes. I haven't heard of any vehicles throwing codes, but it would be good to have SRT clarify if this might be an issue. I doubt it on the Viper since they seem to have a very lenient stability control when it's on plus it can be turned off completely.

Since so many do modify the size and weight of their tires/wheels and also the stance of the Viper, it would be good to know before finding out the hard way.

Cheers,
George

Reaction score
Looking at the MOPAR goodie list, I have to say it will be hard not to replace headers/exhaust as soon as they are available.
They are already available as they fit the Gen 4, so check with your selling dealer for part #P5155828. They are on our site as well.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That would be nice to know for sure. At VOI they had a display of the headers for for the Gen V. I asked one of the SRT engineers and he said those were actually the Gen IV, since they did not have the Gen V Mopar headers done yet - again, it would be nice to get a clarification, can you verify this with SRT?

They are already available as they fit the Gen 4, so check with your selling dealer for part #P5155828. They are on our site as well.

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have a GTS Launch Edition on order....have they finalized the ride height yet I wonder? We've seen everything from 4x4 to "low rider". I'll be really disappointed if it is on the 4x4 side....especially if we can't do anything about it cause it's a GTS!!! :omg: I hope they officially brought her down for production.

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have a GTS Launch Edition on order....have they finalized the ride height yet I wonder? We've seen everything from 4x4 to "low rider". I'll be really disappointed if it is on the 4x4 side....especially if we can't do anything about it cause it's a GTS!!! :omg: I hope they officially brought her down for production.

Same toughts on the GTS suspension here. I also kept my Gen IV Belanger headers hoping they will fit the new one too.
Maybe just changing the HF cat piece ?

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I may do something in the future to the suspension. It would be ideal if someone came out with lowering springs that keep the same spring rate and work well with the stock GTS 2-mode dampers. Lower this bad boy just a little, maybe 1/2" or so. Enough to improve the stance, but not bounce off the bumpstops or scrape on speed bumps.

What would be even sweeter is a factory front Lift System like on the Gallardos. I believe the early Gallardos had adjustable spring perches so they could lower the ride height stock without affecting the Lift System. Some even used aftermarket KW coilovers as it doesnt affect the Lift System. A Gen V GTS with factory MCS and a Lift System would really add to the GTS "GT" demeanor nicely.

The Gallardos are around the GTS weight despite the AWD and Lift System so I don't think it would add much weight to the GTS if SRT decided down the road to implement such a suspension. They are already taking the GTS model "euro" upscale so it wouldn't be overly strange to see a Lift System show up in the future. With a Lift System SRT can then offer a properly tuned, lower factory ride height that wont hit bumpstops etc, without having to set a general SUV ride height to cater to the wider scope of roads/ramps etc. Just thinking out loud.

Reaction score
^^^^ this is a true statement the GenV is different albeit slightly.

That would be nice to know for sure. At VOI they had a display of the headers for for the Gen V. I asked one of the SRT engineers and he said those were actually the Gen IV, since they did not have the Gen V Mopar headers done yet - again, it would be nice to get a clarification, can you verify this with SRT?

Reaction score
Most of those front lift systems are as much money as a full MCS suspension so I doubt that SRT will see that as a must have item in the future. With the Bulls pricing I also doubt we want to get any closer to it with the Viper.

What would be even sweeter is a factory front Lift System like on the Gallardos. I believe the early Gallardos had adjustable spring perches so they could lower the ride height stock without affecting the Lift System. Some even used aftermarket KW coilovers as it doesnt affect the Lift System. A Gen V GTS with factory MCS and a Lift System would really add to the GTS "GT" demeanor nicely.

The Gallardos are around the GTS weight despite the AWD and Lift System so I don't think it would add much weight to the GTS if SRT decided down the road to implement such a suspension. They are already taking the GTS model "euro" upscale so it wouldn't be overly strange to see a Lift System show up in the future. With a Lift System SRT can then offer a properly tuned, lower factory ride height that wont hit bumpstops etc, without having to set a general SUV ride height to cater to the wider scope of roads/ramps etc. Just thinking out loud.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of those front lift systems are as much money as a full MCS suspension so I doubt that SRT will see that as a must have item in the future. With the Bulls pricing I also doubt we want to get any closer to it with the Viper.

You already have a 20k paint option. That puts it closer to the Bull than a 10k suspension option. Why not a 10k option that includes the MCS and Lift System? Each are around 5k each. So why not an option for Suspension Upgrade box for both or each seperately?

Its kind of hard to see this not a viable option in SRT's minds when they find it ok to have a 20k paint option. I wonder if there was a choice of 20k paint option or a 10k MCS/Sus Lift System option, which would most on this forum choose?

Reaction score
You do have an option for this package all you have to do is order the car have it sent to us then call me, :) maybe I can even get SRT to sign off on it :dunno:.

You already have a 20k paint option. That puts it closer to the Bull than a 10k suspension option. Why not a 10k option that includes the MCS and Lift System? Each are around 5k each. So why not an option for Suspension Upgrade box for both or each seperately?

Its kind of hard to see this not a viable option in SRT's minds when they find it ok to have a 20k paint option. I wonder if there was a choice of 20k paint option or a 10k MCS/Sus Lift System option, which would most on this forum choose?

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found it interesting that when SRT announced the cars it was like - the GTS is the GT car bringing more comfort including the selectable susp, and the SRT is for the track hound. Then people were posting the GTS is the better track car because the susp setting for track was better than the SRT (track model). The reviews report the susp was off, with the track setting "unsettling" on the GTS. Seems to me the models are what SRT says they are, the GTS brings more comfort and the SRT is track purpose focused. In any event ...

Looking for 3 things:
- any computer / tune upgrade
- exhaust, catback 100%, maybe full depending on a tune option above
- susp / coil overs (decided once I have the car a while)

With factory options of track pack & aero - in gunmetal with black wheels, I'm set!

Aftermarket black/matte fat stripes also ... but can't get those from mopar (I hate those SRT stripes)

OP
OP
V

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I expect to see more options in the future. My assumption would be, SRT knew the external market for parts is there to beef up the car quickly, so why invest money sourcing the parts when people can do it themselves. If the suspension is good enough for 99% of daily usage, it is hard to argue they should have pursued the 1% usage...

But also, consider the profit on the paint job, there is the real answer to your question.

Perhaps there will be more of a "Chinese menu" if the first year is deemed a success?

Reaction score
Added a couple answers below.

I found it interesting that when SRT announced the cars it was like - the GTS is the GT car bringing more comfort including the selectable susp, and the SRT is for the track hound. Then people were posting the GTS is the better track car because the susp setting for track was better than the SRT (track model). The reviews report the susp was off, with the track setting "unsettling" on the GTS. Seems to me the models are what SRT says they are, the GTS brings more comfort and the SRT is track purpose focused. In any event ...

Looking for 3 things:
- any computer / tune upgrade This is the hard part, the VENOM II controller is so much more complex that the time and money it will take to do it will be on the back burner until there are plenty of Vipers on the road and work flow slows down for the tuning gurus at Arrow, believe me I want this to happen fast also, but have been assured it will not be all that soon with the work load they have at this time :-(
- exhaust, catback 100%, maybe full depending on a tune option above
- susp / coil overs (decided once I have the car a while) The SRT will be available right away for the GEN5 and will enhance the Viper as they have on past generations with the tune-ability of rake, ride height and individual front and rear adjustments as well as spring rate choices better suited to your driving needs. As I said before this will be very popular with our SRT customers and I have stocked up accordingly for that reason as it takes time to acquire the parts for the Viper shocks and get them built. Most of my customers getting the new car will not want to wait 2-3 weeks for a set if they aren't here when the cars arrive.
With factory options of track pack & aero - in gunmetal with black wheels, I'm set!

Aftermarket black/matte fat stripes also ... but can't get those from mopar (I hate those SRT stripes)
Once you take delivery you can send the car back to Prefix and they can do anything you like stripe wise the same as they would for the factory stripe option, this would definitely add value if you ever sell it IMO.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark, you mentioned spring rate choices. Does this mean that someone is already making springs for the Gen V? What do you think the chances are that I could keep my stock GTS 2-mode dampers and just swap in lowering springs? My ideal would be to keep the spring rate the same as stock GTS springs, so it won't be underdamped with the stock GTS dampers in the street setting. If you make the spring stiffer, you're kind of committed to adding more damping or you get a bouncy, underdamped, uncomfortable ride. I don't want a stiffer ride, just want to lower the ride height a little.

Reaction score
Technically it appears the springs will be the same dimensions as the Gen4 although I do not know the rates that will be on the Gen5 for sure. I also do not know the affects that the lowering will have on the systems of the GTS (shock travel could indicate brake dive or acceleration squat that could cause the confusion?). SRT did not give me the impression that they had tried lower ride heights without adjusting the settings for it so I don't know what the limits of the changes could be before there would be an issue. I don't know if they will tell us, so it could be that it has to be tried to figure it out. A set of regular replacement springs are cheap really all that would be lost is the labor to make the swaps and align the car, if it does not work then the springs could be sold to someone else I suppose.

Mark, you mentioned spring rate choices. Does this mean that someone is already making springs for the Gen V? What do you think the chances are that I could keep my stock GTS 2-mode dampers and just swap in lowering springs? My ideal would be to keep the spring rate the same as stock GTS springs, so it won't be underdamped with the stock GTS dampers in the street setting. If you make the spring stiffer, you're kind of committed to adding more damping or you get a bouncy, underdamped, uncomfortable ride. I don't want a stiffer ride, just want to lower the ride height a little.

Reaction score
Confirmed. The stock manifolds are basically the same between Gen 4 & 5, with the difference being the integrated heat shield found on the Gen 4 manifold - the Gen 5 manifold has a bolt-on heat shield. They are interchangeable and the Gen 5 heat shield is probably an improved design like so many other things on that car.

As for the headers, they are the same exact part and Mopar part number for Gen 4 & 5 as they don't come with heat shields. Hope this helps!

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I expect to see more options in the future. My assumption would be, SRT knew the external market for parts is there to beef up the car quickly, so why invest money sourcing the parts when people can do it themselves. If the suspension is good enough for 99% of daily usage, it is hard to argue they should have pursued the 1% usage...

But also, consider the profit on the paint job, there is the real answer to your question.

Perhaps there will be more of a "Chinese menu" if the first year is deemed a success?

I get what you are saying and I too expect more options in the future.

However lets think about the profit on the paint job. How many are going for the Stryker Red paint option vs the other paints? Compare that with how many "likely" would go with a 10k suspension option that included the MCS and a Lift System. I'd wager that there would be MUCH more buyers ticking that 10k suspension box than the Stryker Red box. Therefore that 10k option would end up making SRT a lot more money than the fewer 20k paint jobs.

Id bet too that if someone has the money for the 20k paint job they would also tick the 10k suspension upgrade box too making SRT even more money. It just makes sense imho for SRT to offer such a package. Why let the aftermarket get 100% of those profits when they can get some percentage of that profit by getting a factory deal with Moton and whoever could engineer that Lift System?

Just my thoughts. Pure speculation of course but it would be interesting to see a poll on which option most would prefer....Maybe SRT would look into something like this in the future if the majority wanted it.

Kratos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What kind of power are you guys looking to gain out of headers and exhaust?

And will it need a retune?

OP
OP
V

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get what you are saying and I too expect more options in the future.

However lets think about the profit on the paint job. How many are going for the Stryker Red paint option vs the other paints? Compare that with how many "likely" would go with a 10k suspension option that included the MCS and a Lift System. I'd wager that there would be MUCH more buyers ticking that 10k suspension box than the Stryker Red box. Therefore that 10k option would end up making SRT a lot more money than the fewer 20k paint jobs.

Id bet too that if someone has the money for the 20k paint job they would also tick the 10k suspension upgrade box too making SRT even more money. It just makes sense imho for SRT to offer such a package. Why let the aftermarket get 100% of those profits when they can get some percentage of that profit by getting a factory deal with Moton and whoever could engineer that Lift System?

Just my thoughts. Pure speculation of course but it would be interesting to see a poll on which option most would prefer....Maybe SRT would look into something like this in the future if the majority wanted it.

I suspect there is just a lot of "get it to market" first, in software we have a "minimal viable product" - something you can ship. I assume that industrial design is the same way. The 1st year guys (myself included) won't have as many fun options as guys buying the 4th year - I mean look at the Z06 when it was introduced vs last years model, just crazy advancement in the same model.

I'd assume a lot of their "path" of options was from prospective "halo" buyers from other brands, what people really wanted right away.

Then again, I am talking out of my ass!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456