Any Dragon Slayers Out There?

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, for those of you who have heard of the Tail of the Dragon. Or maybe you have been there and done that and want to come back for more. Do you fancy yourself a wanna-be Dragon Tamer? If you don't care for the Dragon (and it does get busy on weekends), there is always the Cherohala Skyway, the Blue Ridge Parkway, The Rattler, and the Parkway. Enough twists and turns to make any "snake" owner happy. We have tentatively scheduled our Gatlinburg Tail of the Dragon Gathering for May 31st through June 2. Hotel is again the Greystone Lodge at the Aguarium (800-451-9202) and it is currently being totally renovated. Viper folks get a discount at $77 for Thursday (or before) and $90 for Friday and Saturday nights. Our crack event staff is hard at work on this to plan cruises and meals but if you want to be there, put it on your calendar now so you can enjoy some of the best roads in the east. Also we had a lot of requests for T-shirts. Let us know if you're interested so we can plan accordingly. Last year over 50 serpents and their handlers made an appearance and this year promises even more. You know this is not to be missed and we would love to have you come and enjoy the same hospitality we had at VOI. Be glad to help with routes if need be. Put your foot down and make plans to attend! More info to follow.

JAY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been Slaying the "Dragon " for the Last 18 years on 2 wheels..........lol ! :2tu: Watch out for the moving apex's.....lol ! :lmao:

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can make it, run the Dragon and the surrounding area for a day or so and I promise you'll be smiling for months over it. I made a detour on the way to VOI and it was some of the best roads I've ever been on ... two wheels or four! I still watch the vids I captured on my GoPro and my wife asks me why I'm chuckling as I watch them.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's just too scary for me with people driving too fast (I had a Prius riding my bumper and flashing their lights at me to get out of the way when I drove it). If you're into that sort of thing, I guess it could be fun. ;)

OP
OP
J

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, it is rumored that a Prius can go 100mph on the Dragon. You and Mr. Fast better stay at home this go-round - or at least stay out of the way.

It's just too scary for me with people driving too fast (I had a Prius riding my bumper and flashing their lights at me to get out of the way when I drove it). If you're into that sort of thing, I guess it could be fun. ;)

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question JoelW...

I like to do this stuff with my wife but she does get a bit motion sickness. That said, would the Blue Ridge Parkway or Cherohala Skyway be more scenic with stretched out / rolling curves instead of tight twisting turns?
Thanks, Mike

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Cherohala Skyway is an AWESOME road! It has wide twisting curves for the most part and it's something like 35 miles long. Almost more fun the the Dragon. Are you going down for the event this year? I talked Kevan into going 3 years ago and he hasn't missed one since :2tu:

JAY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Blue Ridge Parkway is Great for passengers ! Good High Vistas with many look out points ! But don't Speed , it's like shooting Fish in a Barrel !!! Even Cherohala is known for its fishing traps. ...lol !

OP
OP
J

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike

My wife is the same way and I got an earful last time I went at a brisk pace. I personally don't like the Dragon because it is so tight and really nothing to see till you get to the lake on top. Plus, on weekends it gets very busy with motorcycles and car traffic. You also might meet a tractor trailer coming down or up and I have done that on a motorcycle several times - the trucks do try to avoid weekends though. You can cruise the Dragon and have fun but if you really push it you are looking for trouble - there were 3 accidents, though small, in our group last year. There are numerous crashes and deaths on it each year so the Dragon commands respect. The Blue Ridge has great views if the weather is good and it is a real treat. 45 is the speed limit and for most parts, 45 to 50mph is plenty fast but some folks like to push it. Last year some of the road surface is not in the best shape to go really fast anyway. Traffic can also be heavy at times. The Cherohala is my favorite. Wide, great sweeping vistas and the road surface is excellent. You do need to be careful in spots as some of the turns are tight and off camber. The Rattler is a great country road. If you take the parkway, the Pisgah Inn is a great place to stay or eat and it has a spectacular view from the dining room. There are lots of other roads to see but those are the highlights. My advice is to take your time and enjoy the scenery - if the weather is good there is nothing like it this side of the Rockies.

Question JoelW...

I like to do this stuff with my wife but she does get a bit motion sickness. That said, would the Blue Ridge Parkway or Cherohala Skyway be more scenic with stretched out / rolling curves instead of tight twisting turns?
Thanks, Mike

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Cherohala Skyway is an AWESOME road! It has wide twisting curves for the most part and it's something like 35 miles long. Almost more fun the the Dragon. Are you going down for the event this year? I talked Kevan into going 3 years ago and he hasn't missed one since :2tu:
Jason, yeah I really want to make this happen. Might even need to blow off some of the other ohio calendar events if necessary cuz this looks fun... need to really work my schedule. :)

The Blue Ridge Parkway is Great for passengers ! Good High Vistas with many look out points ! But don't Speed , it's like shooting Fish in a Barrel !!! Even Cherohala is known for its fishing traps. ...lol !

Mike

My wife is the same way and I got an earful last time I went at a brisk pace. I personally don't like the Dragon because it is so tight and really nothing to see till you get to the lake on top. Plus, on weekends it gets very busy with motorcycles and car traffic. You also might meet a tractor trailer coming down or up and I have done that on a motorcycle several times - the trucks do try to avoid weekends though. You can cruise the Dragon and have fun but if you really push it you are looking for trouble - there were 3 accidents, though small, in our group last year. There are numerous crashes and deaths on it each year so the Dragon commands respect. The Blue Ridge has great views if the weather is good and it is a real treat. 45 is the speed limit and for most parts, 45 to 50mph is plenty fast but some folks like to push it. Last year some of the road surface is not in the best shape to go really fast anyway. Traffic can also be heavy at times. The Cherohala is my favorite. Wide, great sweeping vistas and the road surface is excellent. You do need to be careful in spots as some of the turns are tight and off camber. The Rattler is a great country road. If you take the parkway, the Pisgah Inn is a great place to stay or eat and it has a spectacular view from the dining room. There are lots of other roads to see but those are the highlights. My advice is to take your time and enjoy the scenery - if the weather is good there is nothing like it this side of the Rockies.
Thanks Jay and Joel for the great info. That's exactly what I was hoping you'd say. :1up:

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Cherohala is my favorite for a brisk pace and nice views, but to really "enjoy" it, you're going into tripple digit speeds a lot of the time which = jail time if you get nailed. At least pushing it on the Dragon, except for a few short "straights", you'll end with a hefty speeding ticket, but probably not high enough to warrant potential time in the clink.

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason, yeah I really want to make this happen. Might even need to blow off some of the other ohio calendar events if necessary cuz this looks fun... need to really work my schedule. :)

Let me know what you are thinking. We are currently trying to devise a plan to drive down there on Thursday.

OP
OP
J

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those of you coming in who want to arrive Thursday or earlier, I think the hotel will give you the Viper Club disount early if you ask. I'll check on it but book early if you can.
Let me know what you are thinking. We are currently trying to devise a plan to drive down there on Thursday.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question JoelW...

Thanks, Mike

Have HER drive it! or just leisurely cruise it. That's just as fun, scenic stops too. No one HAS to "run" it on the edge. But DOOOO come to this event. Too many people and Vipers to miss this one.

HLANDIS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This event is a must do for anyone has never done it, or even those that have! The Dragon really gives you that rush, week in the knees feeling, but all the other roads are simply FUN and enjoyable!! Made this event for the first time with the club then had to go back on my own in October, just couldnt wait a year!! This will be my third trip to tame the Dragon, cant wait. BTW, great bunch of people up there in this group, makes the whole event great!!

If for no other reason (which I cant imagine) the parade through downtown Gburg is a must. The crowds all come out of the stores/shops and flood the streets to watch the Vipers go by (and hear a good rev every now and then:D)

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've driven all over this country (literally), and my favorite road is the Cherohala Skyway.
The TOTD trip with the VCA is absolutely fantastic.

Don't worry about doing ALMS-type speeds through the Dragon or any of the other roads. There are usually 3 different groups that do the roads: Crazy-Insane, Quick, and "Look At That View!"
-If you want to try to hit hyperspace, follow TowDawg. :)
-If you want to shake the back end of the Viper every now and then, go with the Quick group.
-If you want to take LOTS of pictures and listen to Stretch and I quote lines from 'Super Troopers' over the radios, go with the "Look At That View!" group.

There's no rule that you have to set any kind or record; have fun, be safe and enjoy the drive.
Oh- and ***DO NOT CROSS OVER THE DOUBLE YELLOW LINE!!!!****

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've driven all over this country (literally), and my favorite road is the Cherohala Skyway.
The TOTD trip with the VCA is absolutely fantastic.

Don't worry about doing ALMS-type speeds through the Dragon or any of the other roads. There are usually 3 different groups that do the roads: Crazy-Insane, Quick, and "Look At That View!"
-If you want to try to hit hyperspace, follow TowDawg. :)
-If you want to shake the back end of the Viper every now and then, go with the Quick group.
-If you want to take LOTS of pictures and listen to Stretch and I quote lines from 'Super Troopers' over the radios, go with the "Look At That View!" group.

There's no rule that you have to set any kind or record; have fun, be safe and enjoy the drive.
Oh- and ***DO NOT CROSS OVER THE DOUBLE YELLOW LINE!!!!****

^^^^ what he sayeth^^^^

Landis is right too. The parade is unreal. Prepare to have a :D on your face for at least a week afterward. to see this event start with 4 of us 9 years ago to what it is now??? WOW! :headbang:

OP
OP
J

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We already have the parade permit. We are working on the final details and I will post a schedule soon. But whether you follow our schedule or yours, the parade is a go - with a full police ******!

Luisv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done the Dragon, Cherohala and part of the Blue Ridge. The BR Pkwy is definately more for the sights. They patrol that too much. Your not going to speed there.

The Tail of the Dragon is intense and worth doing in both directions. Great tight turns. The wife and I had a blast on it in my SRT8 Charger (did not have the Viper yet). She is prone to motion sickness but the intensity of the drive was such that she did not even notice.

The Cherohala is awesome as well. More smooth switchbacks and not as "tight" as the 129.

This October a group of us from Miami (local club) are heading up to the area and renting a cabin for 20. We'll spend 6 nights up there hitting a bunch of roads and sights. One that we are adding is Tennessee Route 116. Part of the "Devil's Triangle". Should be awesome as well!

I definately have to make of these VCA trips! I'll latch onto one soon!

OP
OP
J

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Schedule for Gatlinburg

OK here is where we are now with our Gatlinburg Gathering aka the Tail of the Dragon Thrashing
Some rooms still available and the hotel says they will assign more if need be - call soon!

Friday – Meeting North I-75 around 10 am EST, drive TOD, go to hotel in afternoon. South I-75 will meet around 12:00 EST. Lunch in and around Tellico Plains then on to Cherohala Skyway and Tail of the Dragon.
Meet and greet Crystelle Creek – 5:00 pm, Dinner around 6:30
Saturday – Cruises starting around 10 am– Cades Cove, Area Cruise, or on your own Back at hotel by 4:00 pm. Parade at 6:15 pm Dinner at Cherokee Grill afterwards around 6:40 pm
Sunday – Time for breakfasting, visiting, or travel home

Gatlinburg Numbers
Greystone Lodge 559 Parkway Gatlinburg, TN 37738 (800) 451-9202
Crystelle Creek 1654 East Parkway Gatlinburg, TN 37738
Website (Check it out!) http://www.crystellecreek.com/#
Meeting in Knoxville Thursday? The Comfort Suites Knoxville – West, 811 North Campbell Station Road
Knoxville, TN 37932 (865) 675-7585

If you want a T-shirt(s) please let me know so we can order enough and the right size.
Email info to: [email protected]

Viper Club HQ

Viper Club of America Business Office
VCA Member
Reaction score
This event is coming up quick!

Be sure to get your reservations in and let Joel and the VCA AL/TN region know if you will be attending.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This event is coming up quick!

Be sure to get your reservations in and let Joel and the VCA AL/TN region know if you will be attending.

Well don't I feel lucky! :D
I just was able to schedule Thursday, Friday and Saturday at the Greystone Lodge. It didn't seem to be a problem. :dunno:

Joel... pm sent.

Mike