OK... so its not a Viper. But it has a Viper engine? In a Rolls Royce? Yeah, REALLY.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I haven't been posting all that much [photos at least] of what we have been up lately, primarily because I am buried in projects... but this one is too cool to not post, and it doesnt splash any "secret sauce" around :rolaugh:.

Long story short, we were contracted about a year ago to supply a Viper powertrain, manufacture or modify a number of components for "show" [Polished parts, fuel rails, etc] and build a standalone Pectel Engine Management System and custom wiring harness for a 1930 Rolls Royce V-10 Resto-Mod, and then complete the installation on location in West Michigan.

I have just received some up to date pictures now that the paint and interior has been completed. The car is a full restoration with many custom pieces built on a tube frame chassis, and uses a 2004 Viper powertrain. This car was built to be a driver, and all of the problematic original parts have been redesigned or replaced. More or less, it is an original body and design mixed with a new-tech chassis and drivetrain. This car even has heat, A/C, and all of the bells and whistles that go along with professional motorsports electronics.

The car will be shown at the Detroit Autorama in March for anyone interested and local! It is currently at 99%, with just a few minor thins to finish.

Here you go:

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: OK... so its not a Viper. But it has a Viper engine? In a Rolls Royce? Yeah, REAL

Look at those meaty tires!
I am awaiting the ACR-X version.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: OK... so its not a Viper. But it has a Viper engine? In a Rolls Royce? Yeah, REAL

Great build Dan!

I gotta ask though...why'd the customer want the exhaust like that?

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same ? On the exhaust, it all works and then the exhaust is just hanging out there. If the customer gets a flat, just rest the car on the header collector .

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

Totally Outstanding!!!

Can't wait to see and hear more about this car!!!!

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is going to be one hot car, literally, considering how close the headers are to the steel frame rails.

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Hey Guys,

If I recall, the exhaust needed to be placed like that because the collector cannot be moved upwards much due to how it had to be assembled and the placement of the exhaust under the car. It also cannot be angled back as the frame is in the way, and where it must go through the front fenders. It is actually almost up against the frame near the collector as it stands.

Also, it is a bit of an illusion in photos- the exhaust is actually about 5" from the floor.

I do not know if there are plans to alter it in the future, or if there are any plans to cover it. Anyone who builds customs knows... you need to finish it so you know how to finish it again ;)

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

This is going to be one hot car, literally, considering how close the headers are to the steel frame rails.

Not at all. Had the car running for hours during setup, the ceramic headers do a pretty good job as the first line. The steel frame components are quite sizable and isolated from the cabin helping with heat soak, on top of a double layer firewall, and air conditioning.

Last edited:

2easy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

pffffft......

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Anyone who builds customs knows... you need to finish it so you know how to finish it again ;)
Very true words, unless someone keeps changing constantly before getting close to the actual finish... I am not even going to say how I know.

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Look at those meaty tires!
I am awaiting the ACR-X version.

Haha, I know. Its actually comical. The Viper engine in this case was chosen primarily because of the unique factor and highway-speeds torque, but not for power/speed. This is a cruiser, and an original-looking resto-mod type build. He has another car that is more of a "Rod" type build.

Last edited:

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Haha, I know. Its actually comical. The Viper engine in this case was chosen primarily because of the unique factor, but not for the power. This is a cruiser, and an original-looking resto-mod type build. He has another car that is more of a "Rod" type build.
No Merlin?

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

ha, good luck fitting it, but that would be interesting.

But no, the owner specifically wanted to stay away from RR engines. He still has the original engine and trans, they are swiss-watches of complex nightmare problems.

Last edited:

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow, what a sleeper!
Can't wait to see him at a red light when some kids pull up next to him. :lmao:

Too bad it has no cup holder though. :)

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This looks like a lot of work. Interesting the owner did not insist on triangulating the frame and creating a space frame. Viper motor is a torque mnster, it would be a shame to see all this torque twisting the frame instead of laying it to the ground. Seems to me a torque tube drivtrain set up would be a good idea in this case. Very interesting project nevertheless.
ha, good luck fitting it, but that would be interesting.

But no, the owner specifically wanted to stay away from RR engines. He still has the original engine and trans, they are swiss-watches of complex nightmare problems.

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

This looks like a lot of work. Interesting the owner did not insist on triangulating the frame and creating a space frame. Viper motor is a torque mnster, it would be a shame to see all this torque twisting the frame instead of laying it to the ground.

Peter..... look at the tires and post number 11, and then read your comment again, LOL. You are not paying attention to the intended application.

Regardless, there is just about nowhere to triangulate anything without having to completely alter the design of the car. This is a cruiser application, with a 3/16" thick frame, side rails less than 36" apart, with a body, engine, steering support member, core support, radiator support, rigid radiator frame, a steel bumper -all of which are heavy gauge or plate steel- and TWO layers of 1/4" thick plate aluminum for the firewall to resist flexing in the front of the car... before taking into account any of the bodywork at add to that slightly. I assure you it is more than sufficient for the application.

Last edited:

ACR_VP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Now that is the ultimate sleeper my god.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Understood about the intended application, it just seems like a waste of great potential and your time for someone to just earn bragging rights running Viper motor in old jalopy. Great workmaniship and ingenuity nevertheless.
Peter..... look at the tires and post number 11, and then read your comment again, LOL. You are not paying attention to the intended application.

Regardless, there is just about nowhere to triangulate anything without having to completely alter the design of the car. This is a cruiser application, with a 3/16" thick frame, side rails less than 36" apart, with a body, engine, steering support member, core support, radiator, and TWO layers of 1/4" thick plate aluminum for the firewall to resist flexing in the front of the car. I assure you it is more than sufficient for the application.

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Understood about the intended application, it just seems like a waste of great potential and your time for someone to just earn bragging rights running Viper motor in old jalopy. Great workmaniship and ingenuity nevertheless.

Ugh... and here we are again, just like the other thread. You are completely ignoring what the intention behind the project was.

-This is a cruiser show car, not a race car, not a street rod.
-Running the Viper engine has nothing to do with how fast the car will be.
-Bragging Rights because he is running a Viper engine has nothing to do with this.

If this customer wanted to build a Viper powered Rolls-Royce Race Car or Street Rod, believe me he could afford to do so, and we could have altered the path to make it happen. That was not, is not, and was never the idea behind building this car. The idea was to build a very pretty, modern tech version of the 1930 Rolls Royce to be a Cruiser/Show car, and fit it with a smooth-running high-torque Viper V-10 for reasons of unique-ness as well as the torque to get this heavy vehicle with brick-like aero out of its own way at highway speeds.

Last edited:

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

K, I actually agreed with you, don't blow a gasket on my account, LOL.
Ugh... and here we are again, just like the other thread. You are completely ignoring what the intention behind the project was.

-This is a cruiser show car, not a race car, not a street rod.
-Running the Viper engine has nothing to do with how fast the car will be.
-Bragging Rights because he is running a Viper engine has nothing to do with this.

If this customer wanted to build a Viper powered Rolls-Royce Race Car or Street Rod, believe me he could afford to do so, and we could have altered the path to make it happen. That was not, is not, and was never the idea behind building this car. The idea was to build a very pretty, modern tech version of the 1930 Rolls Royce to be a Cruiser/Show car, and fit it with a smooth-running high-torque Viper V-10 for reasons of unique-ness as well as the torque to get this heavy vehicle with brick-like aero out of its own way at highway speeds.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That is absolutely awesome but one question. How will those almost bike like tires hold up to that power?

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

K, I actually agreed with you, don't blow a gasket on my account, LOL.

Its not that you agreed or disagreed, it is that you have a tendency to consider everything that doesn't fit into what you would do, a waste of time/potential/money/effort.

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

That is absolutely awesome but one question. How will those almost bike like tires hold up to that power?

Ha, they won't. Those wire wheels are for aesthetic purposes only... mashing the gas would probably disintegrate them. Again, this is just a cruiser. At highway speeds in upper gears they will be fine.

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Ha, well, someone must have linked this thread somewhere... there are 127 people viewing it right now. :headbang:

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Outstanding!

Would someone please pass me the Grey Poupon.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Its not that you agreed or disagreed, it is that you have a tendency to consider everything that doesn't fit into what you would do, a waste of time/potential/money/effort.
you really need to relax. And yes, you are correct, I made my comments FROM MY PERSPECTIVE. Gheez:omg:

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just paint the exhaust black under the car, problem solved :)

intense5.5

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Would have expected to see an automatic trans. The viper's not exactly a joy to drive in traffic or slow speeds so I don't get the manual trans givin the cruiser type application. I would'nt expect ot see this Rolls in any parades. Otherwise, nice work.

cowger

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Wow, what a project, Dan! That motor is gorgeous...

Needless to say, I think we'll all want to see and hear a video when available!

Bryan

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Would have expected to see an automatic trans. The viper's not exactly a joy to drive in traffic or slow speeds so I don't get the manual trans givin the cruiser type application. I would'nt expect ot see this Rolls in any parades. Otherwise, nice work.

Owners preference, along with the fact that it was originally. This car is located in a very rural area, its not going to see enough slow stop and go traffic to ever matter in that regard. That said, with as much flexibility as the Pectel has, it can smooth out the driveability as needed.