Considering getting a 1999 GTS.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
This is a huge problem. I do not park mine ANYWHERE out of my
sight.

TONS TONS TONS of haters out there and leaving it alone is not an
option for me. I know it will get keyed or worse if I am not watching it.

I have no second thoughts on leaving the Vette parked unattended
but NEVER the Viper.

Maybe its a left-coast thing... or just me... While I wouldn't leave
my GTS unattended overnight at work, I have never thought
twice about leaving it unattended in a parking lot or on the street.
In fact I used to do it all the time when it was my only other car.
I love my car dearly, but treating it like its too precious to scratch
would take away too much of the experience for me...

charlesj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe its a left-coast thing... or just me... While I wouldn't leave
my GTS unattended overnight at work, I have never thought
twice about leaving it unattended in a parking lot or on the street.
In fact I used to do it all the time when it was my only other car.
I love my car dearly, but treating it like its too precious to scratch
would take away too much of the experience for me...

Ditto. I enjoy my car. I lent it to my dad and told him to enjoy it. He was a complete and absolute nervous wreck. When he brought it back, he was so stressed out that I felt bad lending it to him. My brother-in-law on the other hand had no problem enjoying the car. I lent it to him for a week and he had an absolute blast which made me feel good.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are the issues that I had with my GTs over the almost seven years that I had it:

1. Rubber trim around driver's door needed to be replaced twice.
2. The A/C line runs underneath the front fascia so that if you drive over a parking stop a few times, you may develop a freon leak.
3. The center console cracked - simple fix is possible if leather does not rip or tear.
4. Some of the wires in the driver's side wire bundle that goes into the door broke and had to be spliced - easy fix.
5. When battery is about to crap out, you can be locked out of the car. There is a weird interaction between the alarm system and the battery.
6. The brakes were not good. Many upgrade same and there are numerous posts on the VCA Forums about this.
7. Wheel hop can be a problem but it seems to vary from car to car.
8. The hinge on the driver's side door had to be replaced. This is not an easy job. The hinge is mounted on shims which vary, car to car.
9. The rear exhauster vents, which are located inside on the right and left rear in the trunk had to be replaced. The rubber deteriorated. This resulted in the incursion of exhaust fumes into the passnger compartment. Fortunately, I was running high flow cats so I could smell same. This was not a hard fix. I got the new vents and did it myself.
10. The stock shifting mechanism under the shifter lever is not good. You should replace it with an aftermarket one that allows for more accurate shifts. In this regard, you should also check the condition of th tranny and motor mounts. The shifting problem can be made worse if the mounts are damaged and the tranny is moving too much.
11. Check the date of manufacture on the tires. Even if they have alot of tread, if they are more than about three years old, get new ones. Or, if they have been heat cycled alot and are hard, get new ones. A GTS with old/hard/cold tires is an accident waiting to happen.
12. The A/C temperature is not adjustable despite the knobs. It is either on or off. The biggest improvement in the Gen III for me was that the A/C was more powerfuland adjustable.

That's about it. I should add that mine had an 8 pound Roe supercharger on it and was alot of fun. It was also too loud. The high flow cats melted pretty quickly. LOL.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950