High-Mileage Vipers

BigMrE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been considering purchasing a 2000 RT/10 or a 2001 GTS (there are a couple available that I know of). My only concern is both of these cars are 80k+ miles. I've seen a few people on the boards with 100k+ mile cars, but I can only guess at how the cars have been driven. I haven't seen either in person yet because I wanted to be well-educated and not waste the sellers' time (or mine) if it's a bad move going in. I would have a mechanic look over the car before I bought it, and I'm not looking for a garage queen (I work from home so even my "daily driver" won't get a whole lot of extra mileage). I'm not buying for investment, I'm buying to enjoy the car and drive it...so I don't have any personal objections to buying a car with that much mileage.

I wanted to see if there was anything specific I should look out for on a higher-mileage car.

I saw the thread from 2003, I was curious as to whether anything has changed in the last 10 years or so.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few things to consider.

1- Any car can be a good buy at that mileage and any car at the mileage can be abused past repair.

2- If having a Viper inspected by a mechanic, make sure it is a licensed Viper mechanic. Vipers are unique vehicles and many times big issues will be overlooked by regular mechanics.

3- What state are you located in?

OP
OP
B

BigMrE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for the info!

I'm located in northern California. On both cars the CARFAX came back clean...one was supposedly a show-car but it's packing Nitrous so I have to wonder. Just from seeing photos and reading the boards I know the tires need to be replaced; I'll actually look at the cars this week, research local Viper techs, and see if I can get an appointment.

Thanks again.

charlesj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much of a price break are you getting compared to a lower mileage one?

For me, I purchased my 97 blue/white GTS in 2005 and it had close to 60K. Was owned by an older gentlemen who lived in Maryland and according to him, the majority of the miles were highway to see his girlfriend on the weekends in Pennsylvania. I have never had a single problem with the car except for the cabin heat due to the dang restrictive cats but that problem was solved when we replaced them with hi-flow cats. Oh,... and there was that time when I let the battery die and I almost killed myself when the new never-been-used-before factory jack epically failed but that was more my stupidity and nothing to do with miles. I did get bonked on the head and never have been quite the same... or have I?
:brainless:

Sorry, I digress.... ANyways, I never had a single problem being a higher mileage owner. I put another 10K on her since then and just went over 70K. Let's see, 10K over 8 years, that's almost... take the 8, carry the 2,... drop the zero, 8 goes into 20, 2 times, there's a 4, don't forget the decimal... that's only like 16,000 miles per year. Wait... no, \oh forget it.` I'm gonna go hunt me some pizza. PIZZA!!! :D

OP
OP
B

BigMrE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Charles, I appreciate the help! I'll know more later this week, I've done a ton of back-research on the VINs; I know what the dealers have them priced at and where they "should probably be" at market value. Like you point out, it has to make sense...and dammit now I'm hungry :D

charlesj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I forgot to add that I only paid 35k for mine which I thought was a good deal for blue/white in great shape.:eater:

Plus, I bought him a case of his favorite beer (some mexican import crap) and a $50 gift certificate to his favorite restaurant (a run-down chinese food buffet joint - seriously, I only ever ate there once and I got sick). Oh, and I also had a picture of the car framed for him so he could remember it.

In exchange for all of the above, he gave me the car and a viper jacket. True story.

Another part that's true is that gentleman died about 5 years later. True story. Could have been the mexican beer that got him, or the 1,000 yr old chinese buffet food, but it was probably due to a broken heart. (violin please...)
:kabong:

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for the info!

I'm located in northern California. On both cars the CARFAX came back clean...one was supposedly a show-car but it's packing Nitrous so I have to wonder. Just from seeing photos and reading the boards I know the tires need to be replaced; I'll actually look at the cars this week, research local Viper techs, and see if I can get an appointment.

Thanks again.

Do note, the car fax is only as good as what was reported on it. Doesnt mean the guy didnt total the car and have it rebuilt at his own cost! Carfax is good for things that went through insurance.....

Also, reach out to Maurice Liang. He runs the Nor-Cal VCA club. He will have info for you and will likely know the car and its history! :)

http://norcalviperclub.org/ or email him at [email protected]

V

Venomiss

For a Viper tech you might try in NorCal try Ted May Valaya Racing.

OP
OP
B

BigMrE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mopar Boy and Venomiss, thank you very much! I'm in the Sac area and was thinking I'd have BBG look at them...thoughts?

I'll hit up Maurice and it looks like the car was a So Cal car, so will hit up the President of the So-Cal VCA, too.

Thank you again!

Last edited:
V

Venomiss

Mopar Boy and Venomiss, thank you very much! I'm in the Sac area and was thinking I'd have BBG look at them...thoughts?

I'll hit up Maurice and it looks like the car was a So Cal car, so will hit up the President of the So-Cal VCA, too.

Thank you again!

Here you go with the VCA list of vendors with contact information including BBG.
Many good reviews for them.
http://forums.viperclub.org/forums/178-New-Products-Supplier-Specials-Group-Buys-amp-Vendor-Reviews

We hope you will consider joining the Viper Club of America for 2013!
https://www.viperclub.org/join/

For any questions email [email protected] or call 1-800-677-4321.

OP
OP
B

BigMrE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Venomiss and Mopar Boy, thanks again...will definitely join if (when) I get my Viper...even if it's not either of these!

Really appreciate all the help!

Requests in, thanks again! (BTW, the GTS is Race Yellow...hoping the history is good and price is right :D )

Last edited:

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Venomiss and Mopar Boy, thanks again...will definitely join if (when) I get my Viper...even if it's not either of these!

Really appreciate all the help!

Requests in, thanks again! (BTW, the GTS is Race Yellow...hoping the history is good and price is right :D )

We look forward to having you as a part of the club! You have great enthusiasm and potentially the right color! :D:D

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since you are in the Sac area, Toddy at BBG is a great resource. He has worked on my ACR. Maurice is a great resource as well, he has been president of the Nor Cal region for almost 20 years now. Good luck on your search.

Personnally I would be cautious on buying a car that has nitrous installed on it, especially a Viper. That usually means dragstrip time which is ******* the drivetrain, especially half-shafts.

OP
OP
B

BigMrE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the help all! I've talked with Toddy and Maurice, and they had very different views on the car. ;)

Working with a local Viper tech to find some time to look at the car and decided I gotta go with the GTS (even if not this GTS) and not the RT/10. :p

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave