SRT retakes Laguna Seca record with 2014 SRT Viper TA!!!

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I watched it twice. Way to go SRT :2tu: And this rocket is only going to get faster with more tweaking and seat time. Outstanding work to everyone involved.

rukcus

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Now, imagine if he wasn't narrating the entire record breaking lap. CONCENTRATE !

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big deal SRT doesn't offer this to a new generation of buyers...:lmao:

You must be registered for see images attach

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, this model is $120k, I don't see why the ACR is going to be that expensive

Could be a flappy paddle gearbox. Maybe Chrysler is sharing the dev costs with GM, but it will still be an expensive item. More carbon bits...elelectric power steering...KERS? 4 wheels steering? Lots of go faster stuff that would be big ticket items (not all very traditional or desirable to old school purists)...

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could be a flappy paddle gearbox. Maybe Chrysler is sharing the dev costs with GM, but it will still be an expensive item. More carbon bits...elelectric power steering...KERS? 4 wheels steering? Lots of go faster stuff that would be big ticket items (not all very traditional or desirable to old school purists)...
I think they'd push the flappy paddle down to all the models in that case - but who knows. It will be great to see where it goes.

Maybe our Ohio contingent can pry some answers out :D

All in all, it is a great time to be a gearhead. We are in such an awesome age of high performance vehicles.

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the video and article mention the updated version of the 2013 GTS versus the pre-production one. I also noticed the udated version ran LS faster. what was updated for the production cars? seats? suspensions? and when did MT rerun the production version? guess i missed something.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Way to go boys! Still think MT screwed it up the first time (GM also still sent a hot car) and Randy drove like a granny but whatever, the record rests again with the good guys. Still work to do as all they did was add the different rotors and add the areo CF stuff as well as sort the car finally. Plenty more can be accomplished with further sorting, componentry, etc. The great thing is the base for all this is a plain Viper, whether in SRT, GTS, TA or whatever trim in the end. It says alot for the enthusiast car it is.

Despite MT taking all the credit, which it shouldn't (very unprofessional in my opinion), Ralph should have named it the FMT not TA. Let you guys figure out that acronym. Magazine is still a rag and despite this coming out to the good of SRT, it doesn't change the fact the new Viper was really a lot better than most thought from the start. Still work to be done though!

Also proves the point that Yellow is documented as the slowest damn color on a Viper. Never test or race yellow. Ha! Ha!

Viper Grenade

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.08 Hardly a win. But a win is a win. With that said, this was the latest and great Viper who is still using the out going 2012 ZR1 as a benchmark. When the C7ZR1 gets out, I suspect it will wipe the floor with the "Trans AM" version of the 2014 Viper. With rumors of the New ZR1 being over 700hp, don't think for a moment that this "record" is going to stand for long. The viper is going to need some super flappy paddles, Carbon/Ceramic brakes, big ACR areo and a big bump in power to keep up. While Chevy drew 1st blood, SRT came back giving the ZR1 a minor blemish. Chevy's turn next....could it be the KO blow to the Viper or will it be a swing and a miss?

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.08 Hardly a win. But a win is a win. With that said, this was the latest and great Viper who is still using the out going 2012 ZR1 as a benchmark. When the C7ZR1 gets out, I suspect it will wipe the floor with the "Trans AM" version of the 2014 Viper. With rumors of the New ZR1 being over 700hp, don't think for a moment that this "record" is going to stand for long. The viper is going to need some super flappy paddles, Carbon/Ceramic brakes, big ACR areo and a big bump in power to keep up. While Chevy drew 1st blood, SRT came back giving the ZR1 a minor blemish. Chevy's turn next....could it be the KO blow to the Viper or will it be a swing and a miss?

.....yawn.......

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score

LOL... PS; nice station wagon:rolaugh:

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Really? Did you miss the part about the 1.30.78 with real tires? To think for 1 minute the ACR will not best that time you have to be off your rocker. How do all those other flappy paddle cars do at Laguna? You know such as...

McLaren MP4-12C @1.34.50
Lambo LP-700-4 @ 1.35.40
F car 458 Itala @ 1.36.52
Godzilla GTR @ 1.36.30
Best car Top Gear has ever driven LFA @ 1.36.59

etc etc..

Keep on keepin on SRT :drive:

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dude, if you can't get excited about that, time to try ******

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Way to go boys! Still think MT screwed it up the first time (GM also still sent a hot car) and Randy drove like a granny but whatever, the record rests again with the good guys. Still work to do as all they did was add the different rotors and add the areo CF stuff as well as sort the car finally. Plenty more can be accomplished with further sorting, componentry, etc. The great thing is the base for all this is a plain Viper, whether in SRT, GTS, TA or whatever trim in the end. It says alot for the enthusiast car it is.

Despite MT taking all the credit, which it shouldn't (very unprofessional in my opinion), Ralph should have named it the FMT not TA. Let you guys figure out that acronym. Magazine is still a rag and despite this coming out to the good of SRT, it doesn't change the fact the new Viper was really a lot better than most thought from the start. Still work to be done though!

Also proves the point that Yellow is documented as the slowest damn color on a Viper. Never test or race yellow. Ha! Ha!

MT was the one that screwed up? SRT sent the preproduction cars which got the same results from every comparison with the ZR1. Randy drove like a granny when everyone else was also 2 seconds slower than the ZR1? He set the production car record with the ZR1, then again when SRT sent a sorted out car. That is a fast granny.

Motor Trend isn't the one that screwed up and they were quick to follow up with a video after the criticism, then again when SRT had the cars sorted out. Don't get mad because you didn't like the results from the first test.

SlateEd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sick!

The TA looks to also have potential as a standing mile monster, right? I would guess 300 lbs of downforce would add stability without crushing amounts of drag like a full ACR

jvp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I poated 3 new threads on corvetteforum and they closed all 3...lol...obviously they are embarrassed and don't like that kind of publicity to get on their forums

So you're an admitted troll on other forums and are surprised your threads got locked? Perhaps you should read the reasons why they're locked: CF has an "Other Cars" section and that's where the Viper's excellent accomplishments should be announced and celebrated.

But you're free to believe what you like.

jas

jvp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vindicated?

For some reason, I feel slightly vindicated by this video and reporting. I seem to recall late last year getting into a ******* match with certain members here who stated it was only the tires which were at fault. No amount of critical and logical dissection of the various articles that had been written by "Motor Trend", "Car and Driver", etc would help convince these folks that the tires weren't at fault. It was the suspension tuning and the brakes, mainly. These issues were very clearly stated by all of the magazines but apparently ignored by some of the enthusiasts here.

What happened? SRT gives "Motor Trend" another Viper with revised suspension, thicker and wider brake rotors, but... the SAME TIRES, and it beats the ZR1. Hm. Now, one of the responses to my post is going to point at the slicks they put on the Viper at the end, dropping yet another 2ish seconds off the lap time. Of course! But what test they didn't do was put the slicks on the same model of Viper they were driving last year. And why? Because the brakes and suspension wouldn't have been able to handle it, that's why.

Good job SRT! Keep swinging for the fences, and I hope to run into a few of these monsters at the race track in the near future!

jas

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for listening SRT!!!!

This also allows for an insane GTS-R-esque ACR at a much higher price point. I see it coming. Very excited about the TA-special and very excited about the ACR in a couple of years.

SSGNRDZ_28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great job by SRT, this is the first GenV I've really been excited about. The color and overall idea of the car and performance are awesome. Good to have an "in between" version for those who may not want the all-out ACR. The ACR is going to be even better on the track as will the next ZR1 and Z06.... great times for all enthusiasts.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Vindicated?

For some reason, I feel slightly vindicated by this video and reporting. I seem to recall late last year getting into a ******* match with certain members here who stated it was only the tires which were at fault. No amount of critical and logical dissection of the various articles that had been written by "Motor Trend", "Car and Driver", etc would help convince these folks that the tires weren't at fault. It was the suspension tuning and the brakes, mainly. These issues were very clearly stated by all of the magazines but apparently ignored by some of the enthusiasts here.

What happened? SRT gives "Motor Trend" another Viper with revised suspension, thicker and wider brake rotors, but... the SAME TIRES, and it beats the ZR1. Hm. Now, one of the responses to my post is going to point at the slicks they put on the Viper at the end, dropping yet another 2ish seconds off the lap time. Of course! But what test they didn't do was put the slicks on the same model of Viper they were driving last year. And why? Because the brakes and suspension wouldn't have been able to handle it, that's why.

Good job SRT! Keep swinging for the fences, and I hope to run into a few of these monsters at the race track in the near future!

jas

The point that was being made was that the SRT and GTS were not going to beat the ZR1 on a lesser tire. And they still didn't.

They sent a faster car on the same tires. Even the improved production versions of the GTS and SRT were still off the pace of the ZR1. So you are still wrong. The TA is a different, faster car altogether with better brakes, more DF and less weight. Not to mention more DF makes braking even better, but I'm sure you knew that already didn't you? Then there is the issue of the possible toe issue, and Randy being more familiar with the car and being called out by Ralph for being scared of the Viper, all of which would be beneficial for the new test. Until you can quantify what led to how much improvement you still don't know what you are talking about.

And it doesn't change the fact that the Corsas are slower than MPSC. The TA would gap the ZR1 pretty good on an equal tire not to mention the GTS and SRT could probably beat it, were they on MPSC.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Only you forgot that the TA beat the ZR1 with one hand tied behind it's back on slower tires. There is more time to be gained, and faster tires coming. So the C7 has quite the gap to bridge yet. And the ACR certainly won't need flappy paddles or CCB's to up the ante significantly.

But that's some creative wishful thinking though.

canadian venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be surprise to see them sharing development cost with GM since parent company (ferrari) are the masters of flappy paddles...

01viper4me

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously awesome time we are living in. We get to see 8 out of the top 10 fastest laps at Laguna either a Viper or a Vette! Two American companies competing to be the best in an old fashioned slug fest. This is what it is all about!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62