SRT retakes Laguna Seca record with 2014 SRT Viper TA!!!

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm actually surprised that the Viper rebounded the way it did. IMO it's good news bad news... The good news is that it shows how talented and committed SRT is to excellence but the bad news is that the current Viper with it's steel frame and more traditional drive train layout and NA formula will be at an even more substantial disadvantage to the C7. Hopefully SRT is already eying a fresher design:dunno: It has to happen at some point.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was very disappointed at the 1st round loss. But I'm glad SRT was able to get it right the second time around......I'm Pretty sure Ralph was visibly upset having the New Viper beaten by The Old Vett ( This Should Never Have Happened!! ). But they were able to make so minor tweaks with the Brakes and suspension which brought the car up to *****. We can make excuses why the Viper lost during the first round; as Ralph stated: " Randy has always struggled with The Viper ". But the bottom line is Randy Pobst is a professional driver; The New Viper should have Never lost to The Old Production Vett. This kinda makes you wonder what Chevy has in store for the new ZR-1...Hope I'm not ******* anyone off....But the 1st round loss was embarrassing!!

One a side note: If I were a gambling man; I would bet that new TA model would go into production as the New ACR....

I'm in total agreement on being disappointed in the first round, but I have a different perspective. I think it would be unrealistic to expect our team to always win, the same way it's unrealistic to expect your favorite racecar driver to take the title every year or your favorite football team to win the Super Bowl continuously. The supercar market is more competitive now than it has ever been, and the Americans are leading the pack. But if we don't hold the crown in the future, it doesn't make me not love the Viper, or not appreciate the fact that we are one of the fastest production supercars in the world.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was very disappointed at the 1st round loss. But I'm glad SRT was able to get it right the second time around......I'm Pretty sure Ralph was visibly upset having the New Viper beaten by The Old Vett ( This Should Never Have Happened!! ). But they were able to make so minor tweaks with the Brakes and suspension which brought the car up to *****. We can make excuses why the Viper lost during the first round; as Ralph stated: " Randy has always struggled with The Viper ". But the bottom line is Randy Pobst is a professional driver; The New Viper should have Never lost to The Old Production Vett. This kinda makes you wonder what Chevy has in store for the new ZR-1...Hope I'm not ******* anyone off....But the 1st round loss was embarrassing!!

One a side note: If I were a gambling man; I would bet that new TA model would go into production as the New ACR....

No, not the ACR, or you will be highly dissappointed again when the new Vette's come out. Why would SRT make only 33 ACR's? Makes one think, did they invent this car after the first debacle to bridge the gap. I don't think anything is embarrassing when you have to get a pre production model to press on a deadline. The car just wasn't ready yet, but had to be promoted. If anything, the additional press coverage has helped.

I'm actually surprised that the Viper rebounded the way it did. IMO it's good news bad news... The good news is that it shows how talented and committed SRT is to excellence but the bad news is that the current Viper with it's steel frame and more traditional drive train layout and NA formula will be at an even more substantial disadvantage to the C7. Hopefully SRT is already eying a fresher design:dunno: It has to happen at some point.

NA > FI for the track. There is no disadvantage for the Viper there. Steel is stiffer and more durable than aluminum. So unless the Vette's have a weight advantage, there is none.

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What's wrong with a steel frame? Steel has a higher specific strength than aluminum; aluminum only offers weight savings in places where rigidity isn't an issue, and it's only advantage over steel is that it can be formed into thinner shapes. When I see a car advertise its "all-aluminum frame" what I see is "all-gimmick frame." Not to mention the astronomical price of aluminum compared to steel would likely push the cost of the Viper into the 150k-200k region.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NA > FI for the track. There is no disadvantage for the Viper there. Steel is stiffer and more durable than aluminum. So unless the Vette's have a weight advantage, there is none.

Point taken about NA vs FI but NA will only take you so far and even the C6 ZR1 seemed to have a big torque advantage down low. Rest assured that the new ZR1 will have the P/W advantage over the current GenV Viper as it sits. I'm not dissing the Viper just saying that SRT needs to keep their eye on the prize and never rest on their laurels. The other thing with the vette is the longer wheelbase with the wheels pushed more to the corners and lower rear center of gravity with the rear transaxle.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Don't worry , there may be 33 in Orange ( or maybe more who knows?) , but there will be other colors , so.............................the Time Attack Snakes will be pretty prevalent in 2014 , if I can throw a guess out there?!

By the way, the note ( Ralph brought up ) discussing the car being in the pipeline well before the test of the ZR1 and the GTS is absolutely true!!! The discussion on the TA was before that ,and in fact the main issue was just the name to tack on the Sinister Serpent.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Point taken about NA vs FI but NA will only take you so far and even the C6 ZR1 seemed to have a big torque advantage down low. Rest assured that the new ZR1 will have the P/W advantage over the current GenV Viper as it sits. I'm not dissing the Viper just saying that SRT needs to keep their eye on the prize and never rest on their laurels. The other thing with the vette is the longer wheelbase with the wheels pushed more to the corners and lower rear center of gravity with the rear transaxle.

Agreed, and at this point, a weight advantage is a huge one, so it should definitely be explored. We are at the point of rapidly diminishing to negative returns on hp as you can't put the power to the ground on street tires. Aero DF and Weight should be the top priorities. But weight doesn't have to always come from the chassis. Clutches, flywheels and other drivetrain components are great areas to save weight and they also reduce rotating mass and free up revs and hp. I think I recall the Viper motor being super heavy, if so, they should consider trying to lighten it up. I think the chassis is what it is, if they are going in that deep, they might as well redesign it completely for lighter weight.

A 3100 lb Viper is devastating to the World.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those are Trofeos on that new Z/28 as well as carbon ceramic brakes. From the looks of it though, the General still has styling issues on it's cars as that front splitter is more of a cow catcher. That is just aweful. The rims looks real good but beyond that the car lacks the style of a late 60s Z/28. Sorry that interior alcantara padded dash panel looks like it was swen on by a 4 year old. What's with some of these new cars these days?

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those are Trofeos on that new Z/28 as well as carbon ceramic brakes. From the looks of it though, the General still has styling issues on it's cars as that front splitter is more of a cow catcher. That is just aweful. The rims looks real good but beyond that the car lacks the style of a late 60s Z/28. Sorry that interior alcantara padded dash panel looks like it was swen on by a 4 year old. What's with some of these new cars these days?

I'm not real happy with Pirelli supporting GM with a Trofeo R, and not giving us at least the option to buy them in the aftermarket. Come on Pirelli, give us Gen V sizes!

Mister Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What ***** is MT reported the TA had no radio, so everybody thinks the TA is some kind of Stripped down, 10% track-focused machine

Gents

The 33 TAs are based on the SRT Viper, and come equipped with the SRT high-performance ballistic nylon clad seats, AND the base stereo system. This is intended to be a great Track Day car (and noone I know drives to their local track day without tunes). Enjoy ;)

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Uh............dang Mr. Viper I have a " ********" so I actually do drive to the track with no tunes. The music of the V10 is always on though, so I am never lonely,ha,ha.

Appreciate all your comments and keep em coming!!

Mister Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Uh............dang Mr. Viper I have a " ********" so I actually do drive to the track with no tunes. The music of the V10 is always on though, so I am never lonely,ha,ha.

Appreciate all your comments and keep em coming!!

Confession time Bill: So, I'm like most 'gentlemen' track day drivers. I drive to the track, top down, listening to vintage Van Halen ("little guitars", anyone?) or worse, blaring all the way. Anyway, then I arrive at the track and have fun scaring the bejezus out of myself, and thank God that I didn't wreck my wicked fast toy (yet...!). Then I turn the radio back on, and drive home sunburned and happy.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that, while I'm there, some ******* in an ACR with no radio may kick my ass. You bugger. At least I still take down GT3s on race tires with my street-tire Viper!

Happy Easter -

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62