SRT retakes Laguna Seca record with 2014 SRT Viper TA!!!

OP
OP
S

Solid Red 98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new numbers put out by this revised version are quite remarkable. I think members here will be quite happy. Great job Ralph, SRT, Randy, and Motor Trend.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome...brings up some interesting questions.

Before everyone gets too crazy:

"To be fair and accurate, the revised GTS and base Viper we tested concurrently with the new TA also handle much better than previous Vipers. But the TA is better still."

I wonder how many folks are going to order the TA and/or switch orders from their current place?

Top 5 positions for the record are SRT and Corvette. 8 out of the top 10 are Viper/Vette.

Will there be an ACR for 2015 with a TA model inhabiting the performance slot?

What more will an ACR model bring with the TA already having upgraded (tweaked) suspension and Brembo fronts with CF aero bits added on? Will the ACR have the GTS-R wing?

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Imagine how fast it would be on MPSC! Easy 1:32's. This car will beat the ZR1 pretty handily on the same tires. Wow, almost a 1:29 on slicks from a bone stock car. That's nearly Porsche Cup times.

Last edited:

phavyarden

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's the way!!!!!!
Hell i wanna cry. I can't imagine what the Next ACR would do!!
I want to eat my words when i said that i was dissapointed when the Viper lost against the ZR1.
Nice JOB SRT,Ralph, all!!
GO Viper!!

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to admit that car is more on par with what some of hoped SRT would produce. A track car that only needed to offset some fluff with real race components. Now lets just see if they can continue pushing the envelope and lose more of the creature comforts for a better performing car.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
- Not only tweaked, but adjustable suspension that can be tuned for the track.
- Massive DF, not just minor as is here. Worth significantly more time still in the braking zones and higher speed turns.
- Trofeo R or MPSC, worth more time still.

I will go ahead and wager that the new ACR will be within 1 second (or really close to) of the TA on slicks. If it has those things mentioned.

Awesome...brings up some interesting questions.

Before everyone gets too crazy:

"To be fair and accurate, the revised GTS and base Viper we tested concurrently with the new TA also handle much better than previous Vipers. But the TA is better still."

I wonder how many folks are going to order the TA and/or switch orders from their current place?

Top 5 positions for the record are SRT and Corvette. 8 out of the top 10 are Viper/Vette.

What more will an ACR model bring with the TA already having upgraded (tweaked) suspension and Brembo fronts with CF aero bits added on? Will the ACR have the GTS-R wing?

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you guys read the very end of the article that reports they also tried a set of slicks on the car and ran a 1:30.78? And that is without the huge aero wings that the Gen 4 ACR had on MSPC's.

Overall, wow, just wow. If and when an ACR variant ever becomes reality, with sticky R compound tires a sub 1:30 Laguna Seca lap looks to be a reality :usa::2tu:

I just can't wait for Corvette and others to make improvements and try to recapture the record.....should be an incredible summer of performance.

Cheers,
George

Last edited:

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

From what I've heard from Ralph through publicly-made comments, the ACR is going make the TA look tame by comparison... iirc, the TA's aero kit makes a few hundred extra pounds of downforce; the ACR is supposedly going to be making about 1500 lbs of downforce at Vmax, will likely be shod in Trofeos, will have a unique hood, and who knows what else they have up their sleeves.

Like others have said, this rivalry is good for both SRT and Chevy, and hopefully other manufacturers (cough, cough Ford) will join the fiasco and start making some truly phenomenal machines.

Kratos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just posted this on the Chevy forum......I'm wondering if they'll respond or let my thread die.........lol.

OP
OP
S

Solid Red 98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.08 second difference on much lesser of a tire. If the viper was on the mpsc's like the ZR1 was, who knows what it could have run!

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You can bet your butts that the vette is going to come back swinging. Let's hope that Ralph keeps up the good work and chisels away at that time as the car evolves. There is a pretty amazing war going on right now. I'd love to see that the current crop of super exotics would do on Laguna.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can bet your butts that the vette is going to come back swinging. Let's hope that Ralph keeps up the good work and chisels away at that time as the car evolves. There is a pretty amazing war going on right now. I'd love to see that the current crop of super exotics would do on Laguna.

Well, the ZR1 equivalent will be 2-3y off. The production for the C6 has ended, so they don't have much to swing with until then.

The ACR needs to be an even bigger beast than the TA because Chevy will put up something crazy.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But, lol @ MT taking credit for the car

Derp

Regardless of what the truth is, they state in the article "I vividly recall Ralph tweeting MT editor-in-chief Edward Loh and me, "You forced me to build this!"

In a sense they did by reporting that the ZR1 was faster than the 2013 Viper. I think everyone needs to take a step back and take a breath because a lot of people were all over Randy and MT saying their reporting was biased or that this was a deliberate ruse to move more magazines/webhits. If the GTS and SRT were faster than the ZR1 there wouldn't have been a need to build/rush the TA (before the ACR). MT just reported it first...

Now that the TA has come out and Randy and MT have reported that the Viper has reclaimed the production track record, I think the detractors should really man up about attacking the messenger and give credit where it is due. I think that MT has done a decent job of reporting and they've been open and fair about the whole Viper vs. Vette rivalry. I'm hoping the C7 ZR1 and ACR go toe-to-toe in 2015. May the best car win. :drive:

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Regardless of what the truth is, they state in the article "I vividly recall Ralph tweeting MT editor-in-chief Edward Loh and me, "You forced me to build this!"

In a sense they did by reporting that the ZR1 was faster than the 2013 Viper. I think everyone needs to take a step back and take a breath because a lot of people were all over Randy and MT saying their reporting was biased or that this was a deliberate ruse to move more magazines/webhits. If the GTS and SRT were faster than the ZR1 there wouldn't have been a need to build/rush the TA (before the ACR). MT just reported it first...

Now that the TA has come out and Randy and MT have reported that the Viper has reclaimed the production track record, I think the detractors should really man up about attacking the messenger and give credit where it is due. I think that MT has done a decent job of reporting and they've been open and fair about the whole Viper vs. Vette rivalry. I'm hoping the C7 ZR1 and ACR go toe-to-toe in 2015. May the best car win. :drive:
I still don't trust Randy. He is a vegetarian... ;)

Still, who knows why SRT gave the worn out pre-production mules to MT to test originally. They have redeemed themselves at least. I'd like to see the SRT/GTS faster, but I think it is pretty damned quick to say the least.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh hell yes!!! Way to go SRT, and Ralph is the man.

Where are the haters now? How would you like your crow? BBQ? Rotisserie? Crow stew? Crow hot wings?

After watching an amazing showing for the GTS-R, leading much of 12 Hours of Sebring, and now this, life is good in Viper Nation!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper