NARRA Road Atlanta April 12-14

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just talked to Jim Stout at NARRA. He is willing to set up a Viper Corral for those folks coming to watch the races or drive cars at Road Atlanta. If you are thinking about going to watch or participate in PDE or TT, please let me know so I can give Jim an idea of how many folks to expect. With many regions so close to this great track, it would be nice to show our support for folks who support the Viper Cup. Told Jim I would try to give him some numbers by the end of the week. You can PM me or respond to this thread. I know we have at least 6 cars from AL/TN region. Other folks coming? I know some members are taking track cars (aka not Vipers) and that's fine. Just please let me know - espcially about interest in parking in the Viper Car Corral. Thanks!!:drive:

Smokin' 2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just talked to Jim Stout at NARRA. He is willing to set up a Viper Corral for those folks coming to watch the races or drive cars at Road Atlanta. If you are thinking about going to watch or participate in PDE or TT, please let me know so I can give Jim an idea of how many folks to expect. With many regions so close to this great track, it would be nice to show our support for folks who support the Viper Cup. Told Jim I would try to give him some numbers by the end of the week. You can PM me or respond to this thread. I know we have at least 6 cars from AL/TN region. Other folks coming? I know some members are taking track cars (aka not Vipers) and that's fine. Just please let me know - espcially about interest in parking in the Viper Car Corral. Thanks!!:drive:

I know a minimum of 4 that will be participating in the TT from Houston.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joel, my car is still in pieces. Dammit. Wish i could run...it was great fun last year and I was looking for 1:32s this year......maybe by June ;-)

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joel, did they anything about the $100 "refund" for each entry if we have 10 entries, that Kim told me about?

I know their lack of organization and website non-info has been discussed in another thread, but have you seen an updated schedule either? She specifically told me there would be "beginner", "solo" and "TT" run groups (3 separate groups). Beginner was passing on straights only, while Solo and TT could pass anywhere. However, the schedule on their website for next weekend only shows 1 USPDE run group and then a TT run group. I just emailed her about it, but wondered if you knew anything else about it.

It's unfortunate to say, but their organization and communication has fallen off a cliff with LisaKay not there anymore.

Smokin' 2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know their lack of organization and website non-info has been discussed in another thread, but have you seen an updated schedule either? It's unfortunate to say, but their organization and communication has fallen off a cliff with LisaKay not there anymore.

Pretty much.

OP
OP
J

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not quite sure what the schedule is. They have provided goody bags and free admission to the race for spectators along with a free membership to those participating. I think there is more to come but I can't tell much more than you can. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Joel, did they anything about the $100 "refund" for each entry if we have 10 entries, that Kim told me about?

I know their lack of organization and website non-info has been discussed in another thread, but have you seen an updated schedule either? She specifically told me there would be "beginner", "solo" and "TT" run groups (3 separate groups). Beginner was passing on straights only, while Solo and TT could pass anywhere. However, the schedule on their website for next weekend only shows 1 USPDE run group and then a TT run group. I just emailed her about it, but wondered if you knew anything else about it.

It's unfortunate to say, but their organization and communication has fallen off a cliff with LisaKay not there anymore.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I'll need to bug them for a refund of the membership fee I paid when I registered. Hopefully the $100/10 discount she originally told me still applies.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure it's open to everybody.

I didn't sign up to run on Friday, but if all goes well, I'm going to try to get there as early as I can to get set-up and hang out. Is anyone else planning on getting there (or running) by about 2:00 on Friday?

OP
OP
J

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK folks, listen up. Yes, you can get into the Corral. Jim Stout and company have been very gracious in accomodating us. There is a pdf file I can send for free entry into the event. I asked for the corral to be set up on top of the hill over the bridge but I am not sure where it will be. Goody bags compliments of NARRA and Jim Stout, Kim Harmon, and Rob Morrison. Please PM me with your email and I'll send it or I can leave extras at the gate. I will send Scott Tolleson the pdf too so maybe he can send it out. NARRA has gone out of their way to welcome us, please come out and support the Viper Cup. I will be there with my car on Friday some time around noon, please come look me up. Look for the AL/TN group in the pits - which is about normal for us - the pits that is.

VCA Georgia is going, don't yet know how many. Can we get into the corral ???

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anybody have a room at one of the hotels in Braselton that they want to split the cost on? I just checked and 3 are completely booked, which I can't remember seeing before. If anyone is going solo and wants to split it, let me know ASAP. If not, I'll just have to book one a little farther away.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think they just did not get enough people registered for Solo and therefore are not having a group dedicated to it. I agree with your sentiment though. They really had some momentum going last year. They showed so much potential last year. Don't know what's going on this year.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I'll be running with the TT cars then (that was what she said before she said there would 3 groups) and checking the mirror a lot. I hate to run with guys that are actually competing for something while I'm not, but I definitely don't want to deal with the trains and "straight only passing" of the beginner group.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I'll be running with the TT cars then (that was what she said before she said there would 3 groups) and checking the mirror a lot. I hate to run with guys that are actually competing for something while I'm not, but I definitely don't want to deal with the trains and "straight only passing" of the beginner group.

Just whatever you do, don't go to the front of the grid if you get there early. Leave some room for the TT guys. There will be some heat at this event, lots of it.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blue, no problem with the grid. What kind of lap times do you guys in TT usually turn at Road Atlanta (both on regular laps and your "flying" laps)? At least that will give me an idea of what some of the faster guys will be running.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Based on the roster I've seen I think most of the TT grid will be upper-mid 1:30's. A few C5 Vettes (if Nunnally drives and isn't filming all day and Perkins from GA and TX) will run 1:31-1:32, maybe a couple in between. But there are about 4-5 car/driver combos that are capable of mid 1:20's. Messer and Grabow are fairly new to Road Atlanta so it make take them a little while to get adapted, but the cars and drivers are FAST. Messer has every NASA lap record in Texas TT1 and Grabow owns VIR TT1 and has some mid Atlantic records. White owns the NASA TT1 Road Atlanta record and Howards car is an absolute BEAST, can surely do 1:24's but he's still getting used to it. He will go as fast as anyone in front of him does. It will be Howard vs Grabow in TTU and White vs Messer in TT1 most likely. Those are the only cars I know for sure will be really fast based on their credentials.

Edit: Just heard from Mike Howard that Reese Cox might bring out his Silver MTI TTU Beast. That is a 1:24-1:25 car all day. But Mike is trying to talk him out of it!

Last edited:

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotcha. Looks like I'm fine with most of the pack, as I was usally high 1:30's on worn out tires and I have fresh set now, and I'll figure out who the real fast guys are pretty quick to make sure I realize how fast they can close.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At your pace I doubt you have to worry about them closing on you unless you grid right in front of them. They will almost always do 2-5 laps and pit.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21