IPod with the Stock Alpine head unit on GTS

Luisv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I've had the GTS for about 8 or 9 months now. I've loved every minute. I've even put up with only having a CD player in there. I even burned a few CD's and deal with swapping them for drives... However...let's face it, it's 2013... I need an iPod connection! :rolaugh:

I've done some searches here but for some reason most say that it could not be done. There is no aux input and no way to wire one in. FM modulators/transmitters are no good. It seemed like thionyl choice was a new head unit. I was not satisfied with that.

Did a bit of digging again and found a post about a hard wired FM Modulator for iPods. I figured I would try it.

What I got was a solution from iSimple. It is the IS77 which is a wired FM Modulator with an IPod connector and charging capability. By a "wired" FM Modulator it means that the device is hard wired into the antenna input of the radio. It basically gives you the best signal you can get. No need for an AUX port. Since the Alpine head unit uses a "standard" banana plug antenna, it is an easy install.

Here is what I did.

You have to get to the radio so the center bezel comes out. It snaps out (a number of write ups on this all over the place) easily. Then once you have that out, two screws get the radio out.

You must be registered for see images attach

Once it is out three connectors come out. One is the antenna, one is the output and one is power cables. The main one you will need is the Antenna.

The device connects easily. Basically you need power to the unit and you connect the antenna through the device. In the case of the IS77 you have a couple of other connections to make but they are all setup for plug in connections. You have a power switch, the power connector to supply power to charge the iPod. Of course you also have the iPod connector itself.

The power is easy, if you want that. You can simply pull power for the cigarette lighter plug. However, I used accessory power or switched power. This way I never have a concern with the iPod draining the power if the cars remains undriven for a week or more. The power came from an "add-a-circuit" that is in fuse spot 6. I used it for the radar detector install I did. All my connections are always soldered and covered in heat shrink.

The wire was run from behind the drivers knee pad and up into the radio area. Very simple. Ground was form the cigarette lighter connector. Easiest location.

OP
OP
L

Luisv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once the power is wired the rest is academic. You simply tidy up the wires and drop the unit in under the radio.

This is the unit used.

The unit tucked in under the radio bracket. If I had designed it, I would not have gotten a better fit! I place some high adhesion doubled faced tape on the device and tucked it in there. No rattles will ever be heard.

I then ran the wire back under the center console and out. When not used I just drop in behind the passenger seat.

The radio back in and tuned to 87.9 FM playing Steppenwolf's remixed "Magic Carpet Ride"!

Sound is excellent. The device works by cutting out the incoming FM signal and replacing it with the signal coming from the device. Essentially eliminating any kind of interference. The output is clean and crisp, no signal noise at all. Frankly, sounds as good as my 2010 Charger with the integrated iPod factory radio. The only catch is that you must use the iPod to control the playing music. However, it is a small price to pay for never having to swap CD's and looking for songs. The other benefit is that it charges the device as well so no need to have a second charger. It will charge all iPod/iPhone devices except the iPod Shuffle version.

In the end I kept the stock head unit, did not mar the interior and got tunes in the process! All requirements I had!

Last edited:

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely an option. I've been looking for a way to hook up an mp3 player. It's a bit pricey though :( , since aftermarket cd decks are about the same cost...

OP
OP
L

Luisv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely an option. I've been looking for a way to hook up an mp3 player. It's a bit pricey though :( , since aftermarket cd decks are about the same cost...

Huh?!

It was $50 on eBay. shipped!

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Huh?!

It was $50 on eBay. shipped!
oh, ok. I googled it, and on the official site it was close to $100. Half of that makes it a really good option :)

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great writeup! I sometimes think about doing this to my GEN II but I just can't bring myself to do anything to my GEN II.

OP
OP
L

Luisv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I placed it under the dash. For now, it's floating. I reach under and turn it on.

What I did today was make a fiberglass plate that I will place at the bottom of the dash knee pad. I am in the middle of resto-modding a 1977 Corvette and am doing the glass work now... So I had the materials... I'll drill one end for the switch and the other can be simply two face taped. Should be plenty. Perhaps I will use one of the knee pad screws. We'll see. It is a bit of a pain, but I rather this than to drill the dash or console.

I may do it tomorrow so I'll take photos and post it.

7TH_SIGN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bringing this back from the dead to not only confirm that this unit does what its advertised to do, but also thank Luisv on the recommendation and install process.

I did everything the same and the sound quality it perfect. Anyone who is looking for MP3 connectivity while maintaining factory headunit, this is it.

Thanks Luisv!

OP
OP
L

Luisv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a problem... Glad it helped.

As FYI... the unit has been in for about a year and I've had no problems at all...

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I missed this write up last year. Nice post. I switched my Alpine unit out for another a few years ago, but this would have been a nice option.

OP
OP
L

Luisv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always had crappy luck with those FM units. The reception, for me, is always hit or miss. Also, this does not charge the iPod or iPad. However, definitely ,much, much easier.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper