weird thing happened with my doors/locks today

webby

Viper Owner
Reaction score
'05 roadster

Something weird happened today.

I stopped the car (a little hastily) and hopped out, then when I shut the driver's side door, instead of thunking closed, it just bounced back open!
I was a little surprised and tried it again, same thing.
Next I was more careful, making sure the belt was not stuck, nothing was jammed. Tried several times and it would just not close.
Tried closing quickly, slowly, lots of pressure, little pressure, nothing.

I tried the "lock" and "unlock" buttons on the remotes, didn't fix anything.
I went over to the passenger side to see inside the door jamb and compare if anything was broken.
That's when I noticed that no matter how many times I pressed "unlock" on the remote, the passenger door remained locked.
So one door wouldn't close, the other stayed locked.
Battery on the remote was fine, because after that I used it multiple times without problem.

Finally I tried starting the car - driver's door still won't close.
Then I reached over and popped open the passenger door from the inside and voila! Now the driver's side door closes and both doors are fixed!
Relieved since I was far from home and thinking I was going to have to drive home in a stick shift car with one hand while holding the door closed with my other hand.

So weird... what happened? Did I shut the car off improperly, did some sort of security mechanism kick in? Bug in the software?

Last edited:

4myviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hmmm wish I had a answer, my door locked on me with the keys in it tonight. I just dont understand these doors, sometimes the door wont open unless you hit the unlock button first even when you never locked the door and other times its fine.

Wiretech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is a strange one never came across that problem,it may an electrical issue or spray some oil lube in the latch that may solve the mechanical issue.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scott Wexlin recently had an issue with his door latch and had to have it replaced. Maybe he will chime in and give you some ideas.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
'05 roadster

Something weird happened today.

I stopped the car (a little hastily) and hopped out, then when I shut the driver's side door, instead of thunking closed, it just bounced back open!
I was a little surprised and tried it again, same thing.
Next I was more careful, making sure the belt was not stuck, nothing was jammed. Tried several times and it would just not close.
Tried closing quickly, slowly, lots of pressure, little pressure, nothing.

I tried the "lock" and "unlock" buttons on the remotes, didn't fix anything.
I went over to the passenger side to see inside the door jamb and compare if anything was broken.
That's when I noticed that no matter how many times I pressed "unlock" on the remote, the passenger door remained locked.
So one door wouldn't close, the other stayed locked.
Battery on the remote was fine, because after that I used it multiple times without problem.

Finally I tried starting the car - driver's door still won't close.
Then I reached over and popped open the passenger door from the inside and voila! Now the driver's side door closes and both doors are fixed!
Relieved since I was far from home and thinking I was going to have to drive home in a stick shift car with one hand while holding the door closed with my other hand.

So weird... what happened? Did I shut the car off improperly, did some sort of security mechanism kick in? Bug in the software?

Exactly what happened to me, except I couldn't fix mine. I had to latch tie the door inside to the other door, to keep it closed enough to get to the dealer. Latch mechanism was shot, needed replacemnt.

98intrigue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had the same thing happen to me twice in the 1200 miles I was able to drive my car in the past year. The second time, I ended up disconnecting the battery and it was fine right after that.

Sarge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to my 05' twice. Was able to clear it pulling the inside door handle.

datruodb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Day 2 of owning my car same thing happened to me. I screwed around with the fob and put keys in ignition and took back out. Forgot the exact thing I did to fix it, but never again has it done that.

F

FrgMstr

My drivers door on my Gen III used to come open every time 2 seconds after starting it. Never figured that out. At least it was not the passenger door; that would have really sucked.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmagnuss