Suggestions for a good 3/8" drive torque wrench that is less than $75?

F

FrgMstr

Suggestions for a good 3/8" drive torque wrench that is less than $75?

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He asked for suggestion for "good" torque wrenches, not POS budget wrenches. :D I broke every single Harbor Freight torque wrench purchased. The inards came apart. I broke sears two 3/8" torque wrenches or they broke themselves. Be careful with the budget crap tools. If they're not calibrated correctly they'll cause problems. You may need to return them a few times before you find a good one. I would strongly recommend investing in a quality SnapOn or Mac Tools torque wrench. Good luck.

OP
OP
F

FrgMstr

If you are messing with cheap torque wrenches, why bother at all.

Well, I do not need a torque wrench in 3/8" to use on a daily basis, or even close to it. So while I am well versed in SnapOn and other brands, I am not looking to spend HUGE CASH on something that will simply not be used that much. If I was a mechanic, I can see spending big bucks on a torque wrench, but I am not. I am looking for one that is "good" and affordable....not cheap, I can find cheap easily and no I would not trust it. It does not need to be a super duty wrench that will last me through 10,000 torquing applications, just for once in a while out in the garage. So something that works well but does not need the durability of a SnapOn quality product. That is why I am bothering. :)

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Precision Instruments PREC2FR100F 3/8" split beam torque wrench...it is a little different than a dial-type clicker wrench, but it is nice that you don't have to dial it back down to its lowest setting each time you use it. It is a bit more expensive than what you're looking at (about $110), but might be worth a look if you don't mind spending a bit extra.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I do not need a torque wrench in 3/8" to use on a daily basis, or even close to it. So while I am well versed in SnapOn and other brands, I am not looking to spend HUGE CASH on something that will simply not be used that much. If I was a mechanic, I can see spending big bucks on a torque wrench, but I am not. I am looking for one that is "good" and affordable....not cheap, I can find cheap easily and no I would not trust it. It does not need to be a super duty wrench that will last me through 10,000 torquing applications, just for once in a while out in the garage. So something that works well but does not need the durability of a SnapOn quality product. That is why I am bothering. :)
Understand. .....Might try some other 'actual brands' (not harbor freight or wal-mart), like S/K, Proto, or somebody like that. they may offer a lower cost tool that still has some quality built in. .....Don't buy a used 'whatever' on ebay of something though, even if it's a Snap-on for 30 bucks. You don't know how any times it may have been dropped.........or thrown. :omg:

OP
OP
F

FrgMstr

I reached out to Precision, the company that is apparently an OEM for SnapOn. Great service.

Good Morning Kyle.

Thanks for inquiring into our torque products, manufactured in Des Plaines IL USA since 1938. Can I ask what your intended application is @ 106 lb.in.? We have multiple wrenches that can take care of that specification, however, I can best advise you with knowing the application.

For instance, our M1R200HX & M2R200HX carry the same 30-200 lb.in. range as well as overall length. They both can handle the torque you require, it would just be your preference on the size socket sets you have. We also make dial type torque wrenches that can handle this range, but they are non-ratcheting and non-click style. Our dial type "D" is our most accurate torque wrenches available, though some prefer the click style because the "M" series can ratchet and click.

Thanks, I look forward to hear back from you.

M1R200HX
http://www.torqwrench.com/tools/item.php?StockCode=M1R200HX

M2R200HX
http://www.torqwrench.com/tools/item.php?StockCode=M2R200HX

D2F30NM (Nm scale only)
http://www.torqwrench.com/tools/item.php?StockCode=D2F30NM

D2F300CHNM (dual scale with both Nm and Lb.In.)
http://www.torqwrench.com/tools/item.php?StockCode=D2F300CHNM

Kind Regards,

Todd Goodrick
National Sales Manager
Precision Instruments, Inc.
www.torqwrench.com

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm an owner of the harbor freight click wrenches, in both 1/2", 3/8", and recently bought the 1/4". I'm just the weekend diy'er and use them rarely. Sure, they are cheap, but with some common sense of my calibrated elbow and the clicking, I can assume "what makes sense" when torquing bolts. Surely, it's better than just the regular ratchet and guesssing more.

If I made my living off of wrenching, it'd be a completely different story.

Bugman Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know it's an older thread, but I thought I'd throw my two cents in. I use cheap torque wrenches frequently. When I get one, I use a socket to connect it to my name brand wrench, set them both to the same setting and pull. Every single one has clicked at almost the same instant as the name brand, showing me that the calibration is pretty darn close.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper