Best way to keep GEN 2 rims clean and shiny?

spikeone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the best product you have used to keep your Gen 2 rims shiny?

Considering they have clear on them, I doubt using a metal polish would make a difference?

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NO metal polish since they are cleared. Just use soap and water, hose off, or a good wheel cleaner or detail spray. Then a wheel wax to shine.

OP
OP
S

spikeone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that's what I been doing and they get dirty really fast

might be time to swap out my brake pads (no idea what they are) for some low dust ones since they seem to be the culprit in all this

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This may sound a little too anal for most but I use a Swifter duster on my wheels after every drive. Works really well and wheels look great.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that's what I been doing and they get dirty really fast

might be time to swap out my brake pads (no idea what they are) for some low dust ones since they seem to be the culprit in all this
Yes, that is from the OEM pads especially in the fronts. They are really messy. Search here for the many pad threads and you will get good info on low dust pads like the EBC green etc.

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to ceramics on the front and EBC reds on the back. The dust problem is almost totally non-existant. A word of warning though, this setup needs to warm up when you first take off before it has maximum stopping power.

Last edited:

sshorty

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be careful using Simple Green and/or Swiffer Duster. Your best bet aside from using the low-dust pads (assuming you're not participating in track days), is to properly clean and seal the wheels. I recommend using a good wheel cleaner such a Bilt-Hamber Auto Wheel or a Sonex, followed by a Bilt-Hamber Korrosol or Iron-X to remove any remaining metallic particles that are still in the wheel, then clay using any one of the soft/medium clay bars with the corresponding lubricant. Once complete I would dry the wheel and check for any remaining debris. Apply a good wax and/or sealant such as Collinite Insulator Wax and/or Menzerna Power Lock which will make the wheel finish look better than new, but also protect better than most other options. After a long drive, you should be able to hose off most brake dust followed by a soapy wash to get the remainder off. Good luck and let us know what method you try.

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use Windex on factory wheels myself. Spray a ton of it and wipe down with paper towels.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use Windex on factory wheels myself. Spray a ton of it and wipe down with paper towels.

NO and NO... Windex will strip any protectant or wax you have on the wheels and paper towels are very abrasive and will scratch the clear coat on them.

I wipe them down with a microfiber wet with a QEW solution after every drive, then dry them with another microfiber. I also routinely coat them with Zaino Z2p so that the brake dust does not stick blows off easily.

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I use WheelWax at the beginning of every season and then a california forked wheel duster (blue) after or before each drive. Hardly have to touch wheels during my 2-3 washes per year. I also have different pads and keep the car in a Carcoon, so that makes a huge diff I'm sure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper