And so it begins *** DEALER MARKUP***

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is a shame SRT didn't do something about this when they did dealership licensing. IMO it is a "low class" dealership thing to do. You don't see other high end brands pulling this bull**** (Or at least I don't).

It looks bad on SRT and really bad on the dealer...

When Ralph talked about "a new class of buyer" I hope he wasn't referencing idiots with a lot of money.

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks like all the details have been clearly written in invisible ink as you can tell by the water mark on the page that is slowly disappearing. Why else would there be all that space on the page...

50k??? That's insane....

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few years ago I bought a 92 Viper, I "accidentally" bought it off Ebay, I was about to hop on a 14 hour flight and I saw this 92 with a begining bid of $35K, I bid, thinking "NO Way in HeXX I am going to be highest bidder or meet teh reserve,. Well, Bang! it his reserve, I hopped on my flight, when I landed the auction had ended and I won the car.

When I got the paperwork on it, the original sticker was in there, $53,500 for the car and $115,000 DEALER MARKUP the original owner had paid!

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If this was at every dealer then its an issue, its not. If a particular dealer wants to mark up over retail then they have the right to do so, buyers search out the deal that fits their buying criteria the best. Would I pay it? Not hardly, I would find the dealer/deal that fits my buying requirements best. If dealers were discounting would people be barking at SRT for mandatory retail pricing requirements? We all know the answer. Let the dealers **** themselves out, the cream rises to the top and the wanna-b's will fall off the grid. Its a marketing gimmick, nothing more.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If this was at every dealer then its an issue, its not. If a particular dealer wants to mark up over retail then they have the right to do so, buyers search out the deal that fits their buying criteria the best. Would I pay it? Not hardly, I would find the dealer/deal that fits my buying requirements best. If dealers were discounting would people be barking at SRT for mandatory retail pricing requirements? We all know the answer. Let the dealers **** themselves out, the cream rises to the top and the wanna-b's will fall off the grid. Its a marketing gimmick, nothing more.
I don't see how it bodes well for SRT. Even though I am buying at MSRP, this is off putting to the SRT brand to me. If this dealer is willing to do this, my assumption is they are willing to let service techs take my Viper to go pickup lunch. Which, is the image SRT is trying to distance itself from. It speaks back to "it is still a Dodge" (For the purchase/maintenance experience).

If Ralph is trying to bring buyers into SRT that would never have considered the brand before, how does this look? Will they consider other SRT products?

Granted, today we have the internet and you can buy from Woodhouse or Tomball with the click of a mouse at MSRP.

edit:

Though, it is clear what this is. They are getting two in for the calendar year. So, they want it to sit in the building so people can oogle it. Maybe someone will be dumb enough to buy it, but more than likely they will settle closer to MSRP than this.

Last edited:

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Exactly. Speaking of creme rising to the top, for you Northern California shoppers...

15 minutes down the road from Stevens Creek Dodge is Normandin Chrysler. I bought my Stryker Red GTS from Paul Normandin, at sticker, and not once did he ask for a dollar more. It has been a top-notch experience, I highly recommend Normandin.

Good dealers and bad dealers are out there. I asked about ordering an SRT8 Challenger when they first came out. Stevens Creek Dodge told me $25K markup!!! I walked out and bought elsewhere. Late last year, I inquired about ordering a 2013 Viper at Stevens Creek. Took the sales guy 1 week to get back to me! That place is a joke.

Normandin Chrysler in San Jose will now always get my business. Paul Normandin doesn't mark up Vipers, he's a Viper owner, he's a racer, and a VCA member. Excellent after-the-sale service as well. He follows up with me every week to say hello, and keep me posted on my Viper's status.

Last edited:

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly. Speaking of creme rising to the top, for you Northern California shoppers...

15 minutes down the road from Stevens Creek Dodge is Normandin Chrysler. I bought my Stryker Red GTS from Paul Normandin, at sticker, and not once did he ask for a dollar more. It has been a top-notch experience, I highly recommend Normandin.

Good dealers and bad dealers are out there. I asked about ordering an SRT8 Challenger when they first came out. Stevens Creek Dodge told me $25K markup!!! I walked out and bought elsewhere. Years later, I inquired about ordering a 2013 Viper. Took the sales guy 1 week to get back to me! That place is a joke.

Normandin Chrysler in San Jose will now always get my business. Paul Normandin doesn't mark up Vipers, he's a Viper owner, he's a racer, and a VCA member. Excellent after-the-sale service as well. He follows up with me every week to say hello, and keep me posted on my Viper's status.

Paul Normandin is a class act.

But, the day somebody tells me what I can sell a car for is the day I move to North Korea. Dealers should be able to sell what they want for how much they want. In the free market the price will be what it is worth in the eyes of the buyer. For those too stupid to do their homework and not buy something from Paul or one of the other dealers at sticker, then they deserve to pay more. The more people pay the mark up, the more valuable it makes all of our Vipers since the market is pushing up the price.

Cheers,
George

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember when the Prowlers came out....sticker price was reasonable, but they were selling for way over sticker as well at many places. But $50k markup is just rediculous. I wonder how Canadian Dealerships are going to handle this?

HANKFAN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This time next year there will be plenty of cars sitting at dealers available for below msrp. Why anyone would pay over MSRP for any car is beyond me....

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul Normandin is a class act.

But, the day somebody tells me what I can sell a car for is the day I move to North Korea. Dealers should be able to sell what they want for how much they want. In the free market the price will be what it is worth in the eyes of the buyer. For those too stupid to do their homework and not buy something from Paul or one of the other dealers at sticker, then they deserve to pay more. The more people pay the mark up, the more valuable it makes all of our Vipers since the market is pushing up the price.

Cheers,
George

Big difference of the Gov saying what they can sell for and the brand saying it. SRT could certainly tell this dealer "No more Vipers for you."

Its an image thing, and it promotes a poor image for SRT, at least IMO.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Good dealers and bad dealers are out there. I asked about ordering an SRT8 Challenger when they first came out. Stevens Creek Dodge told me $25K markup!!! I walked out and bought elsewhere. Years later, I inquired about ordering a 2013 Viper. Took the sales guy 1 week to get back to me! That place is a joke.

Interesting... I think there is probably enough markup for the dealer as sticker. :D He didn't ask for a dollar more... Did you offer a dollar less? Just curious...

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting... I think there is probably enough markup for the dealer as sticker. :D He didn't ask for a dollar more... Did you offer a dollar less? Just curious...

LOL, that was my feeling too. I didn't offer less than sticker, I guess I viewed it as the price of getting one of the first Gen V's, and being able to enjoy it this summer. Okay, to be honest, I thought I'd have it in Spring. Maybe I should now ask for a discount ;)

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For 190K you can get into a F430 or maybe even a 430 Scud.

Now the new Viper will leave those two in the dust (maybe not the Scud) but you see my point.

jsd512

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Nurburgring lap time for the 430 Scuderia is 7:39. The ZL-1 Nurburgring lap time is 7:41. The TA would **** both pretty convincingly. But I get your point. The Viper is not worth anywhere near 190K, JMO.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If someone pays for it, that is the buyers fault. This is not happening in my neck of the woods.

Bruce

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper listed at 190k....lets see new gallardo is 230k, new Bentley is 210k, new Maserati 165k. Yeah I love it...puts our cars into the category that I saw them in even before seeing this list price. Hopefully the C7 comparisons will finally cease.:)

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The buyers for the new Viper will determine what people are willing to pay. Maybe the dealer at $50k over retail is a genius or will be shown to be moronic. If a product is in high demand then the mark-up can work and be sustainable, if the demand is not there then pricing will reflect that. Scream all you want about MAP pricing and all dealers charging suggested retail to not degrade a product but this is the very structure on which many individuals and companies have created and lost fortunes. There are dealers out there selling on customer service and everything you could want in a deal AND the car is retail. So buy it from them if you are in the market, you are free to do that in our wonderful country just as that one dealer is free to mark-up what ever they are selling. I am not a buyer or a seller so I have no dogs in this fight but I do respect individuals purchasing and selling rights. The Viper evokes passion but simplify it to a simple definition of a transaction and it puts the whole thing in perspective.

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steven's Creek is not too far from Apple computer's head office, not saying that the employees over there are not that bright but, the Steven's Creek Auto row is kinda like the Rodeo drive of new car strips, They see em coming and help em lighten their wallets...

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper listed at 190k....lets see new gallardo is 230k, new Bentley is 210k, new Maserati 165k. Yeah I love it...puts our cars into the category that I saw them in even before seeing this list price. Hopefully the C7 comparisons will finally cease.:)

By that logic a C7 going for 25K over sticker should be compared to 90K cars.
You're really reaching with that analogy.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By that logic a C7 going for 25K over sticker should be compared to 90K cars.
You're really reaching with that analogy.

maybe i should say it this way: the corvette is made 30,000 times per year by assembly line robots, has a low price point and every tom dick & harry has one. I see them on the road constantly & therefore they lack exclusivity factor and these components make them not special.

The snake on the other hand is made a bout 1000 times annually, built by hand, has a six figure value and few have them. I've seen less vipers on the road in the past 20 years than i have ferrari's. Hence it is exclusive and indeed a special machine.

I guess ultimately the point I was trying to make was that a rare exotic handmade supercar should be compared to other rare exotic hand made supercars and not to a corvette.

Better?

Wezbad1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So the 1st 1 went for 300k for charity, what charity / Group is this 1 going to? At that price, this must be #2 right?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62