Viper racing at PBIR YESTERDAY

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So SRT sent a base Viper to Palm Beach international Raceway to have some independent drag racing done with the car. By independent I mean no one is being paid to review the car, it was sent to a regular car guy ( who can drive i might add) who happens to have some good connections and was hosting a private track rental.

The car was equipped with 18' Mickey Thompson drag radials other than that it was in stock form. After multiple and I mean multiple passes down the strip the results are in. Several 11.3x at 126-127 mph. The best pass of the day was an 11.16 at 126 with a respectable 1.7x 60' time. The low first gear is really killing the car out of the hole and by the end of the day the clutch was crying uncle.

The weather for the day wasn't horrible high 70s no wind and moderate humidity with a DA from 1200-1800 throughout the day.

Viper808

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

The car was an SRT ( not GTS) and was great to see the car do some runs... It truley shows how passionate SRT is about theses cars and
keeping the viper comunity involved. What Car company gives their own car to a car club and lets them do some runs and provides the car with Drag radials to boot....Truley a fantastic gesture. It wasnt like just anyone was alowed to drive the car, But still, being that so few 2013's are in private hands..it was a real treat to see the car in action.... I think with some seat time the car will be a 10.9 car w/ drag radials..not bad for a bone stock base Viper...
By the way the Mclaren was running 10.3's that I saw....

Viper808

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Here is one more.. I know how you guys like pictures

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The car was an SRT ( not GTS) and was great to see the car do some runs... It truley shows how passionate SRT is about theses cars and
keeping the viper comunity involved. What Car company gives their own car to a car club and lets them do some runs and provides the car with Drag radials to boot....Truley a fantastic gesture. It wasnt like just anyone was alowed to drive the car, But still, being that so few 2013's are in private hands..it was a real treat to see the car in action.... I think with some seat time the car will be a 10.9 car w/ drag radials..not bad for a bone stock base Viper...
By the way the Mclaren was running 10.3's that I saw....

Wow, the Mac was running 10.3's??

Please tell me that it was modded and if it was running drag tires.

Cheers,
George

thegeneral78

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you SRT for bringing this car down. The lap times were ok, like the driving. The hole shot never looked good (good burnouts though), & most of the day the shifts down the track looked & sounded off. That's a high 10s car just the way it is. New car, New learning curve. Can't wait to see more.

Viper808

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow, the Mac was running 10.3's??

Please tell me that it was modded and if it was running drag tires.

Cheers,
George

I didnt notice drag radials on the MC and it dosent do burn outs it just freakin hooks and LAUNCHES! ...and I do not beleive it was moded at all....still had the paper tag for a license plate...
Its all wheel drive with paddle shift.... so just like the GT-R's ...they just launch and nail every gear ( paddle shift) so there is no competeing with that...

Viper808

Viper Owner
Reaction score
is that a preproduction car?

I couldnt say if it was pre-production or not... It did look brand new and anly had about 2500 miles on it.. It even had the stock paper air filter element in the airbox...I should have looked at the Vin #..didnt think at the time as there was allot going on and a ton of cool cars to look at

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great of SRT to do that. Times seem OK considering it was drivers "playing". The mph seems a bit ehh, my gen 3 went 126 no problem with just K&N & Cosa catback, I see gen4's in the 128mph range, seems like that 640hp would hit a 130. But all in all, OK, certainly a wonderful thing for SRT to do though.

THnx for the pics, we do love pics!

Viper808

Viper Owner
Reaction score
More pics of " Whitesnake"

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I couldnt say if it was pre-production or not... It did look brand new and anly had about 2500 miles on it.. It even had the stock paper air filter element in the airbox...I should have looked at the Vin #..didnt think at the time as there was allot going on and a ton of cool cars to look at

just curious!

great to see the pics, thats my almost exact car i ordered!

Ev1E9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didnt notice drag radials on the MC and it dosent do burn outs it just freakin hooks and LAUNCHES! ...and I do not beleive it was moded at all....still had the paper tag for a license plate...
Its all wheel drive with paddle shift.... so just like the GT-R's ...they just launch and nail every gear ( paddle shift) so there is no competeing with that...

The Mclaren 12C is rear wheel drive.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's insanely fast for the McLaren. I love that their entry level exotic (MP4-12C) is turning times like that WITH rear wheel drive. I imagine their upcoming supercar (P1) will have trouble beating that in a straight line.

It'll take some time to see what the Viper is truly capable of, but expecting high 10s out of the box is not unreasonable in this day and age for a 6 figure exotic.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are correct - the mph is off, it should be higher. There are a whole bunch of Gen2's with a little head work, headers and rockers turning 126. I am definitely not trying to be negative, as you said this car should be close to 129-130, especially on a low 70 degree day. The ET in this case is dependent on the 60' time, a 1.7 60' time is not bad and a 1.5X will get it into the 10's, but, again, the mph is puzzeling. My Gen 2 traps 130. I don't want the new garage partner to be slower.

Great of SRT to do that. Times seem OK considering it was drivers "playing". The mph seems a bit ehh, my gen 3 went 126 no problem with just K&N & Cosa catback, I see gen4's in the 128mph range, seems like that 640hp would hit a 130. But all in all, OK, certainly a wonderful thing for SRT to do though.THnx for the pics, we do love pics!

Last edited:

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah the McLaren is in the 2 second club. I test drove it. Its sick. An aventador could tie it and a Veyron could take it.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the MT DR (27.5" dia), the 3.55's are close to a Gen2 on 3.07's. I have 3.55's in my Gen2 and that is one reason (lowers effective ratio) I don't like a tall tire. I think 18" hoosiers are a better choice at 26.2" diameter.

I am guessing on the MT DR (345 X 18) size, but, that seems the most common for our cars. If they used the 305 X 19, that tire is 27.9, which is even taller. The 18" tire does require an ebrake relocator. The 345 X 18 actually rubs a little on my Gen 2. On my car I had to smooth out the wheel well liner to get a litle clearance.

So SRT sent a base Viper to Palm Beach international Raceway to have some independent drag racing done with the car. By independent I mean no one is being paid to review the car, it was sent to a regular car guy ( who can drive i might add) who happens to have some good connections and was hosting a private track rental. The car was equipped with 18' Mickey Thompson drag radials other than that it was in stock form. After multiple and I mean multiple passes down the strip the results are in. Several 11.3x at 126-127 mph. The best pass of the day was an 11.16 at 126 with a respectable 1.7x 60' time. The low first gear is really killing the car out of the hole and by the end of the day the clutch was crying uncle. The weather for the day wasn't horrible high 70s no wind and moderate humidity with a DA from 1200-1800 throughout the day.

Last edited:

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd guess the weight distribution of the McLaren has something to do with its advantage in straight line performance; more weight over the rear tires, especially when mashing on the throttle.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Power to weight, has to be the biggest advantage.

I'd guess the weight distribution of the McLaren has something to do with its advantage in straight line performance; more weight over the rear tires, especially when mashing on the throttle.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am I the only one thinking those times and mph on "drag radials" ain't that great?

Anyway it's cool they let one out to play like that. That Mclaren just cant be bonestock if its doing 10.3's.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SRT Viper was a production car. It was hot and humid yesterday. Brooks had not driven a Gen V in the quarter mile before. He did a great job adjusting to the vehicle and getting an 11.1 out of it. The car has to be seen to really be appreciated. It really looks great in white. It had non stock rims with MT Street E.Ts on it. Everyone needs to keep in mind that the Viper was not conceived as a drag racing car. It is a road racer. For a road racer to do as well as it did, is excellent. On a cool, dry day with more practice, the car will easily do a sub 11 run with drag radials. In each video I have seen of it launching and yesterday, it has the same infamous bog off the line that every unmodified Viper tends to have.

Maybe some time in the future, SRT budget permitting, they will be able to offer a Dragpack option that allows an easy and more effective launch resulting in a better and consistent 60 foot time but I doubt that will happen.

The McClaren was stock. A 2013 McClaren has a dry weight of 2925; 616 HP; a base sticker price of $239,400 and no real storage space. It's really a very limited use vehcile. Call me crazy but I think the Gen V Viper is much better looking and a much better bang for the buck. Plus, old farts like me can't get out of the McClaren without precipitating a serious lower back event. LOL

Last edited:

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see. Incredible the Mclaren is that fast bonestock. Wow.

I should have put two and two together after seeing his post on Lambopower. Not bad for the first time in car. I'm sure it will be in the tens soon enough with more practice.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot of these track times you see people like Ranger and Jamie Furman putting down, are in great conditions with negative DA. For reference, my stock 2008 went 11.4 @ 121 mph at a private track rental in 90F weather, on street tires. Fast forward to late November on a night with temps at 40F and -900 DA, I went 10.93 @ 129.33 mph, and not a single thing was changed on the car. I have no doubt that you will see high 10's on stock tires, once the temps get a little better, and people get comfortable with clutch engagement, banging gears, and proper launch RPM slipping. Heck, I plan to drag mine whenever I get one :D

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The SRT Viper was a production car. It was hot and humid yesterday. Brooks had not driven a Gen V in the quarter mile before. He did a great job adjusting to the vehicle and getting an 11.1 out of it. The car has to be seen to really be appreciated. It really looks great in white. It had non stock rims with MT Street E.Ts on it. Everyone needs to keep in mind that the Viper was not conceived as a drag racing car. It is a road racer. For a road racer to do as well as it did, is excellent. On a cool, dry day with more practice, the car will easily do a sub 11 run with drag radials. In each video I have seen of it launching and yesterday, it has the same infamous bog off the line that every unmodified Viper tends to have.

Maybe some time in the future, SRT budget permitting, they will be able to offer a Dragpack option that allows an easy and more effective launch resulting in a better and consistent 60 foot time but I doubt that will happen.

The McClaren was stock. A 2013 McClaren has a dry weight of 2925; 616 HP; a base sticker price of $239,400 and no real storage space. It's really a very limited use vehcile. Call me crazy but I think the Gen V Viper is much better looking and a much better bang for the buck. Plus, old farts like me can't get out of the McClaren without precipitating a serious lower back event. LOL

I live coupla mile from the local McLaren dealership, and they bring a car to our Cars and Coffee most Saturdays. Gorgeous cars, but I bang my head every time I get in and out, LOL! For the money, I'll take a F458 and call it a day.

Oh, and yeah, I'd MUCH rather have the Viper as well!

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
U guys should check out a gen V thread called "its not .008" The posters are convinced that the gen V & ZR1 are the fastest cars out there LOL Guys like "ipetrov" and others are sure of it. I mentioned the McLaren MP4-12C YES STOCK as noted here and they werent hearing it. LOL..its a rocket....0-60mph in 2.9 seconds and it can bend and turn.

Dont get me wrong, I'm super excited about my Gen V order and besides my Lamborghini, or I should say like it, it will be the most exciting supercar I've ever owned. But its not the fastest car out there. I saw a 16 cylinder Veyron SMOKE an Aventador and the aventador is very similar speed and performance to the above noted McLaren.

I guess i'm fine with not having the fastest whip. But it sure is gonna be nice this summer being the only guy in a Shadow Blue Pearl Gen V with Venom's & sepia interior. Exclusivity rocks. I suspect the performance will too.:drive:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21