TPMS Question 08 Coupe

Raven

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok, I picked up my new ( to me) '08 Coupe yesterday and drove it 565 miles to get it home. The trip was awesome and I love everything about he car.

So, today I get it out and was going for a drive when the little TPMS light started to flash (with a chime of course) indicating a malfunction. No message in the speedo box saying 'Low Tire ' or 'Flat Tire' (my manual has the TPMS Addendum about this message); just the light and chime. Light flashed for about a minute then stayed on as I pulled it into the garage.

I then check the pressures and all four tires were fine and within .5 psi of each other.

When I bought this car, the dealer swapped tires and rims with another 08 coupe and did the reflash for the wheel change. Not one issue the entire drive home but today I get this chime, the icon flashes for about a minute then stays on.

Ideas?

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
small world. I believe I'm buying the 'other coupe' that those tires were swapped for. Your dealer was in GA, right? congrats on the car!

OP
OP
R

Raven

Viper Owner
Reaction score
small world. I believe I'm buying the 'other coupe' that those tires were swapped for. Your dealer was in GA, right? congrats on the car!

You're buying the red one? It is gorgeous - congrats to you too!

I bought the black one and love it. Ringgold is an awesome dealership and made buying the car very easy.

Steve Gibson
NW Ohio

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Raven. I'm excited and like you have never driven a Gen III or IV, just owned 2 previous Gen II GTS. I will likely have Prefix add white stripes since I live close to them and just drive there but no other plans. Would be nice to grab it in person but they're just trailering it tomorrow to arrive here Tuesday. Enjoy that black - it looks beautiful.

OP
OP
R

Raven

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Raven. I'm excited and like you have never driven a Gen III or IV, just owned 2 previous Gen II GTS. I will likely have Prefix add white stripes since I live close to them and just drive there but no other plans. Would be nice to grab it in person but they're just trailering it tomorrow to arrive here Tuesday. Enjoy that black - it looks beautiful.

Thanks! I love it.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The codes for the wheels must be read and then manually put into your cars computer. believe me I delt with the issue for along time until Dan at Viper Specialty finally squared it away for me.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How did he square it away for you?
The codes for the wheels must be read and then manually put into your cars computer. believe me I delt with the issue for along time until Dan at Viper Specialty finally squared it away for me.

OP
OP
R

Raven

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
9/10 this issue results from a bad sensor read where the tech did not confirm that the codes actually stored in the TPMS module. Or, also common with aftermarket wheels, the tech does not even have the ability to activate the OE sensors due to their location in the wheels, and then charges you for effectively doing nothing and blames it on the car.

Try the re-learn procedure again, and ask to watch. Make sure the codes show up on the DRB-3 screen. After they all learn, back out of the page, and then re-enter the code page and make sure they are still there. Also, take a picture of the screen and all of the sensor codes! This step is paramount to never having to deal with the programming BS ever again- we can send you pre-programmed sensors so long as we know what is actually in your TPMS computer.

For those of you stuck between a rock and a hard place with wheels where the sensors cannot be activated, you may have to break the wheels/tires down in order to get close enough to the sensor to activate it for the learn procedure.

For those who have or will have a second set of wheels and a functioning TPMS system, you can send us a screen shot of your codes from a DRB-3, or you can send us the set of sensors from your current wheels, or bring your car to us somewhere, and we can scan the codes and copy the sensors for a second wheel set.

WE STRONGLY ADVISE INSTALLING OUR SENSORS OVER OE SENSORS IN ANY CASE. Our sensors can be activated and programmed via RF- they do not need a magnet, and do not have the issues with programming after the fact regardless where the sensor is located in the wheel.

OP
OP
R

Raven

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Dan. I will definitely keep that in mind. I'm taking the car in this Friday for the reflash (the 26th). With the rain we've had, it's been hard to get a dry day to get it out of the garage. More predicted this week too.

9/10 this issue results from a bad sensor read where the tech did not confirm that the codes actually stored in the TPMS module. Or, also common with aftermarket wheels, the tech does not even have the ability to activate the OE sensors due to their location in the wheels, and then charges you for effectively doing nothing and blames it on the car.

Try the re-learn procedure again, and ask to watch. Make sure the codes show up on the DRB-3 screen. After they all learn, back out of the page, and then re-enter the code page and make sure they are still there. Also, take a picture of the screen and all of the sensor codes! This step is paramount to never having to deal with the programming BS ever again- we can send you pre-programmed sensors so long as we know what is actually in your TPMS computer.

For those of you stuck between a rock and a hard place with wheels where the sensors cannot be activated, you may have to break the wheels/tires down in order to get close enough to the sensor to activate it for the learn procedure.

For those who have or will have a second set of wheels and a functioning TPMS system, you can send us a screen shot of your codes from a DRB-3, or you can send us the set of sensors from your current wheels, or bring your car to us somewhere, and we can scan the codes and copy the sensors for a second wheel set.

WE STRONGLY ADVISE INSTALLING OUR SENSORS OVER OE SENSORS IN ANY CASE. Our sensors can be activated and programmed via RF- they do not need a magnet, and do not have the issues with programming after the fact regardless where the sensor is located in the wheel.

OP
OP
R

Raven

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok, I'm at the dealership now and the tech says he is stumped. The light stays on but everything checks out. He has a call in to Chrysler for tech assistance.

Any ideas? He said the sensors are sending a wrong signal and no codes are shown but the TPMS icon light stays on.

Any suggestions or past experience with a similar problem would be appreciated.

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First of all verify which scan tool he is using. They will have several in their shop and assume they will work because they work on other cars in for service.

Green viper 1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed new wheels and new sensors also, started on my way to have mine flashed and my computer recognized them before I got to dealership, I was surprised that it did it, so I went anyway and they said they were fine

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Ok, I'm at the dealership now and the tech says he is stumped. The light stays on but everything checks out. He has a call in to Chrysler for tech assistance.

Any ideas? He said the sensors are sending a wrong signal and no codes are shown but the TPMS icon light stays on.

Any suggestions or past experience with a similar problem would be appreciated.

Are the sensor codes shown on the TPMS screen? If not, then the sensors are NOT registered in the module.

Also, when a fault code is set, it is stored in the BCM. That must be cleared to turn off the light after things are programmed, or drive the car for a few miles. After a fault, the correction alone will not turn it off- it needs to be cleared from the BCM or cleared by driving.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know you personally,Steve-Indy. You have to be the most helpful, non-vendor, Viper Club member of the last 10 years. Thanks for taking the time.

OP
OP
R

Raven

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok, here's the latest. Sorry for the lag in responding but I've had a busy day.

First of all, I have no idea about what tool they are using. This dealership is very disappointing, said they had not seen a Viper since they don't remember yet still have an alleged "Viper Tech"? I asked to go back to talk to this tech and they said they don't allow customers to go back due to insurance reasons.

I asked if he could come out to talk with me and they said he was too busy but that he did all he could. They also said that Chrysler called them back and recommended they change all the sensors but the dealership said they can't do it because they don't have a big enough tire machine to deal with Viper Wheels.

I will never go back to this rat hole place again. (Grogan's Towne Dodge Toledo).

I showed the service writer the quotes from Viper Specialty about needing to see the codes on the DRB tool and how they need to be manually entered. He said they can't get the codes without breaking down the wheels to get them off the sensors(?) so they can't manually enter them.

Here's another quirk - the other '08 Viper that got the wheels originally on this has not had any issues with this - it is only my car that has the wheels off the other '08 (per Ringgold).

Tire pressures are solid 29 psi on all four corners. No message in the Speedo display that says 'Flat Tire' or 'Low Tire'. Yet, within a mile of leaving the dealership, the same little icon came on with the chime and stayed on.

There is another Dodge dealer in town - Charlie's Dodge who is where Grogan's recommended I take my Viper to get the sensors changed out. I can not believe this car needs four new wheel sensors!

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. And a special thanks to all who have replied so far!

Steve

Are the sensor codes shown on the TPMS screen? If not, then the sensors are NOT registered in the module.

Also, when a fault code is set, it is stored in the BCM. That must be cleared to turn off the light after things are programmed, or drive the car for a few miles. After a fault, the correction alone will not turn it off- it needs to be cleared from the BCM or cleared by driving.

OP
OP
R

Raven

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I live East of Toledo and would take this car anywhere to get this corrected. Ringgold/Andy has been very helpful but can't fathom why this is happening. If they weren't 600 miles away I would take it there as I'm sure they could correct it. My local dealer is lost.

It doesn't make sense - especially if the red car that has the original wheels off my black one is not having any issues?

Weird.

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't need new sensors, you need someone that knows what the he'll they are doing. Sorry your having this issue. Just drive and enjoy until you can get to another dealer.

FYI, you don't need to dismount the tires to get the codes off the sensors. Wrong answer.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't need new sensors, you need someone that knows what the he'll they are doing. Sorry your having this issue. Just drive and enjoy until you can get to another dealer.

FYI, you don't need to dismount the tires to get the codes off the sensors. Wrong answer.
Yup, sounds like you should be reading the codes off the scanning tool, either they do not have the correct tool or the codes do not show up. The latter one is very likely since they recommend new sensors. A dealer with the correct tool should be able to handle this without dismounting the tires. Hard to believe the lack of service that is provided by Chrysler.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
They do not have any idea what they are doing, simple as that. Chances are, they never even found [or even looked] for the correct info before throwing in the towel. No surprise, most dealers have no clue how this type of TPMS system works since it isnt used anymore.

However, there is a misunderstanding.

*THEY* cannot manually enter the codes. *THEY* need to set the codes to the TPMS module using a DRB-3 and an activation magnet if they are using OE wheels. If using aftermarket wheels, the tires would have to be removed to get close enough to the sensors to activate them.

*I* have the ability to manually enter and copy sensors. *I* also have the ability to RF activate OE sensors without a magnet, allowing me to program aftermarket wheels without needing to break them down. *I* also have ability to supply sensors which can be made to mimic the codes already in your TPMS module, making programming the car itself irrelevant.

The DRB-3 is the universal tool needed for this, but I have additional equipment and aftermarket sensors available that they would not have access to which simplifies some of these issues. The question is, are your sensors mis-matched, or do you have a bad sensor? If you have a bad sensor, we can skip the dealer simply by breaking it down, manually reading the code, and I can supply a pre-programmed replacement. If you have mis-matched sensors, you need to do the DRB-3 deal to program them, one way or another.

OP
OP
R

Raven

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Dan. I showed the service writer this thread yesterday when I was there and specifically the part about the DRB-3 Tool. He just pretty did an 'Oh yeah...' and moved on.

I agree - they don't have a clue in what they are doing or how to even do it in the first place since clearly they called the company and even that info (or so they said?) was to replace the sensors. Don't you think Tech Support would have told them about the DRB-3, codes, etc rather than to just replace sensors?

I won't bother with that dealership again.

I appreciate everyone's replies and especially your support Dan.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
In general, STAR will tell them to replace parts first for confirmation, before checking any further. Chances are they did not tell them how to do it correctly.

OP
OP
R

Raven

Viper Owner
Reaction score
UPDATE - So, I'm taking the car to a different dealer next week on Thursday (first day I have free with my work schedule).

Charlie's Dodge IS Viper certified I found out whereas Grogan's is NOT. Seems they might have misrepresented that to me when I called Grogans. The only reason I did was because they are closer to me than Charlies.

Charlies DOES have and use the DRB-3 so I think we will get somewhere. I'll let you know...

In general, STAR will tell them to replace parts first for confirmation, before checking any further. Chances are they did not tell them how to do it correctly.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4