First crashed Gen V on public roads?

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure many head on collisions and related deaths/injuries have been prevented by these cables.
This accident could have easily injured/killed others if the Viper had crossed over.

I think the issue is installing the cables at the proper height or using a more conventional median barrier.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very tragic loss for his family, SRT, and the entire Viper family. Prayers for everyone affected, and may God give them comfort during this time.

Scratch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My condolences as well.
As for the cables, they are installed around the Phoenix area freeways.
At a lower height though. Maybe three feet tall. Prior to install of those, cars were ending up on the opposing
side of traffic. They tear a car up, but do keep them from crossing over...for the most part.

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe they should have the IIHS crash test cars into these cable barriers, then see if they are a good idea over a solid barrier. Whatever height you pick, some car will get in serious trouble. Even the guard rails with two rows of metal - BAD for motorcyclists. You slide right into / under those things and kill/mangle people. A solid wall is the only safe barrier. Most are solid concrete barriers in NJ. I have never seen a cable rail.

But yes, condolenses and RIP.

Vypr Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So very sad! RIP Martin Morse.

My prayers and sincerest condolences to the Morse family.

Also a huge loss for SRT and for the Viper Nation.

Above all, my heart goes to the family.

ringram

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm, suggestions launch control was used/tested..
If thats the case, it looks like it needs tweaking.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm, suggestions launch control was used/tested..
If thats the case, it looks like it needs tweaking.

I disagree

It has not been announced if there had been some mechanical issue with the 2013 SRT Viper that caused Martin Morse to lose control but it should be noted that the local weather (the accident site is only a few minutes from my office) was rainy with cold enough temperatures to possibly cause icy roads. Even with the added stability and traction control systems of the 2013 SRT Viper, the combination of hard acceleration aided by 640 horsepower with wet and possibly icy roads is a recipe for disaster – and that was the exact result.

ringram

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Need to see the final report I guess.
Doesnt put me off one though. Id have thought the local authorities have a case to answer about their so called "safety barriers" though.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not so sad . you really should'nt buy a car you know nothing about driving and that's what this looks like. Hopefully in is next life he'll go with the honda civic

Real classy -

Apparently you've never made a mistake before... may we all grow up to be like you.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whoever you are, I request that the moderators permanently ban you from posting. None of us know what happened. This was a Chrysler engineer. Your lack of compassion, empathy and tact is shocking even for anonymous Internet behavior.

not so sad . you really should'nt buy a car you know nothing about driving and that's what this looks like. Hopefully in is next life he'll go with the honda civic

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Very sad - prayers for the family.

Those cables are scary. According to the story - "Unfortunately, the Michigan State Police explained that the lower cable entered the cabin and caught the car up, preventing the Viper from reaching oncoming traffic. The speed at which the Viper hit those cables and velocity with which that thick metal cable entered the cabin likely caused the injuries to Mr. Morse that proved to be fatal."

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interestingly enough on Friday last week here in Colorado, I got to witness an accident on C-470 near Kipling Street just 1/2 mile in front of me where a car tried to move into the fast lane but never checked that there was already a car coming up in the fast lane. Well the car coming up swerved and spun out hitting the center cable restraint system. Since I witnessed the whole thing I had to stick around and help the injured as well as provide a statement to police. As I stated before that section of highway has the cables, BUT I had a closer evaluation after it was determined the people involved were okay. The rail support system is vastly different than those in that Michigan picture.

First off the cable bars to the ground are smaller and upon impact, they actually broke away at the base to cushion the blow (similar to the way the "new boards" are in professional sports like hockey, they gave to cushion) keeping the car on this side of the intersection. Secondly, they start at about 18" off the ground and they had three cables, each spaced by about 8' above that. That was it!

I will say witnessing an accident first hand like that, you could see where if the car had crossed the intersection, it would have hit others head on and caused a lot more damage, maybe loss of life. So if properly executed, those rail systems have some merrit, hence I slightly retract some of what I said beforehand.

However saying this and looking at those pictures there from Michigan, that MI installation appears to be quite different from what I saw out here. Those in Michigan are way, way higher and look to be much more drawn for tension. It is very sad as it does not bring a life back, but we need to learn from and do something about these tragedies, otherwise the person dies in vain. Someone in Michigan should be seriously looking into that cable system as it does not look right. Again, my condolences to the family.

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sad loss indeed. TX uses these barriers as well, there was a study done (NHTSA) that shows these types of barriers allow for some give, but stop vehicles from entering oncoming traffic (by launching over the barrier, crashing through, etc.). Michigan absolutely could be installing these things wrong, but according to NHTSA, these things save TONS of lives.

My thought was, oh crap I hope the TC is not faulty, but given the road conditions and general scenario, sounds like one of those things that tragically just happen.

Condolences.

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just came across this report on jalopnik today and it is a shame, but it highlights something all new viper owners should be aware of:

- Cold weather kills traction on soft compound tires, such as those that come on the Viper. You may only have 20-30% of your traction when the temp drops below 40 degrees F.

- A light rain exacerbates the traction issue by mixing with the oil/grease layer on the road surface, making it not unlike driving on ice...or wet leaves. This is true even if the weather is warm. Heavy rain is better in that it washes the layer of slickness away.

I'm sure a lot of you knew this, but if you're just getting into high-powered RWD vehicles you need to know how easy it can be to lose traction in the rear in these conditions...even in "ideal" conditions the viper will be a handful. TCS helps but it doesn't defy the laws of physics...so you cannot be distracted and when it's cold and/or raining you will need to exercise restraint.

neilsfishing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very very sad sincerest condolences to the Morse family and frends

Whoever you are, I request that the moderators permanently ban you from posting. None of us know what happened. This was a Chrysler engineer. Your lack of compassion, empathy and tact is shocking even for anonymous Internet behavior.
i concur

chikane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
for those that saw my post on this thread. I just wanna say i'm sorry for that post.

my best prays to the family

Mods i saw your PM and again i'm sorry

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
for those that saw my post on this thread. I just wanna say i'm sorry for that post.

my best prays to the family

Mods i saw your PM and again i'm sorry

Fair enough...
too many would never man-up and appologize only to just run away. :1up:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper