Insurance for Viper as primary vehicle?

Destructo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,

New guy here, looking to buy my first Viper sometime soon. My Allstate agent tells me they don't cover Vipers, so I guess I'm in the market for a new insurance company. Can anyone out there that is driving theirs daily tell me which company they are with?

Thanks

v10viperbox

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mercury covered me for the 14 months or so when I only had a viper and no other car.

It was actually not that bad, but I have a clean record. They were very clear that if I got a point on my license that I would not be able to use the car as a daily for a reasonable amount of money.

jmbaileyniu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
State Farm....$85 per month full coverage....much cheaper for storage. I am 31 and have a clean driving record with another car insured there too, so it isn't my primary.

brifri11

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have my 06 coupe insured through allstate... Id say ask a new agent. unfortunately I have other cars of my policy I don't know how much it would be just for the Viper

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also have Allstate in NJ. However, it's possible that they don't cover this particular car in all states. Hard to say.

I did however call maybe 4 companies to find the best deal. You will find that prices vary wildly.

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It helps if you can get all your insurance thru the same agent and company. Homeowners, car, renters, boat, etc.

Jog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It may have to do with the State you reside in. I have 2 vehicles ( Jeep Grand Cherokee and 2004 Viper ); both vehicles are insured by Allsate; I was even given a discount for putting less than 7k miles on Viper per year and having it listed as a leisure vehicle instead of my primary vehicle. I would suggest you try talking with another Allstate Agent to find out the exact reason why they won't insure your Viper....

OP
OP
D

Destructo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys,

All they'd tell me is "Our underwriter doesn't cover Vipers". I'm early 40's, married, no accidents & I've been their customer for over 20 years, so I was hoping the rates wouldn't be too bad. Just didn't want to start calling around blindly. I've heard horror stories of people ruining their credit by calling too many insurance companies for quotes.

datruodb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In Dallas area my Allstate agent refured me to Hagardy insurance
My friend is an agent here in DFW and she said they don't insure Vipers.

I went with Geico. My uncle couldn't beat their rate, granted it is my 2nd car. His rates were through the roof.

98intrigue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm 27, single, clean driving record.

I have Geico now. I had Nationwide previously when I only had my 40th Anniv 370Z. When I shopped for quotes with the Viper as a leisure vehicle and a Taurus as my daily, Nationwide wanted $1200 more a year. Progressive wanted $2500 more a year. Allstate wanted $1500 more a year. Geico was only $400 more.

v10viperbox

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm 27, single, clean driving record.

I have Geico now. I had Nationwide previously when I only had my 40th Anniv 370Z. When I shopped for quotes with the Viper as a leisure vehicle and a Taurus as my daily, Nationwide wanted $1200 more a year. Progressive wanted $2500 more a year. Allstate wanted $1500 more a year. Geico was only $400 more.

Give it a few more years, my current viper is limited to 4K miles a year and is my third car but it runs me 327$ every 6 months for full coverage with a 1m umbrella

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I have Nationwide (even when the viper was primary.) I checked
around and the trouble I found when "price shopping" insurance was
in the fine details of coverage - all policies are not created equal.

Nationwide covered me $150/500/300k with allowances on
"non-timed" instructional events cheaper than Allstate on
15/30/10k. But basically anything significant happen to the car
it would have been totaled.

I found out the hard way back in the day that 15/30/10 (basic)
insurance allows anyone you hit to sue you personally for
coverage of damage. For me it was to the tune of $69,000
at 18yo ... lets just say I didn't have that kind of cash laying
around at the time. Under basic coverage (and driving a viper)
you basicially hit any new car, or injure someone severely,
you could really lose the shirt off your back.

As far as I am concerned, a free State Farm policy isnt worth
the paper to wipe my ass with - otherwise make sure you
understand what you are getting into before you sign.

OP
OP
D

Destructo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm, just called Geico and was told the Viper was on their "restricted list". I'm in Texas for what it's worth.

Baitken29

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As someone who just purchased a Viper, many companies will not insure a Viper anymore. Even going through Hagerty, they said they would not insure me as this vehicle has namy restrictions. They also said many people o have Vipers insured with them but are not allowing new policies. That is probably why other people on the forum have Allstate. I had to go through American Collectors Insurance.

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got Grundy insurance today. $967 year. Non primary vehicle. Agreed value up to $60, 000.00. I had travellers before.

Cozmo420

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in north TX (Forth Worth) and I've got my insurance through Allstate, so I wonder if it depends on the agent? I just bought my Viper in December, so it's a newer policy.

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm, just called Geico and was told the Viper was on their "restricted list". I'm in Texas for what it's worth.

Interesting. I am in Texas and had no problem adding the Viper to my Geico policy (3rd vehicle, single, clean-ish record). Heck, I was still in my 20s at the time.

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in California and have Allstate for all of my cars and use my Viper as my daily driver.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Viper isn't my primary vehicle, but call Hector Rodriguez Jr. at 908-927-9200 and tell him Aaron suggested you get a quote from him. I've been with Allstate in Somerville, NJ for all 8 years I've owned my Viper and never had a problem.

Regards,
Aaron

OP
OP
D

Destructo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys. I wasn't having much luck looking online or calling around so I contacted an insurance broker who hooked me up with SafeCo. Got my Viper this week and even with increased coverage I am paying less than I was with Allstate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper