Opinions on DRs

dester243

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dang, had a pretty decent post typed out and went to submit and it said token expired.

So redo!
Picked up a 2003 vert with a Paxton. Came with aftermarket 19/20" iforge wheel combo. Rear tires are down to the wear bars.

So with the extra power, I am really debating on going with a DR on the car. I'm sure it will help it hook up way better as currently it's very easy to step the rear out in 1st 2nd and some of 3rd.

So the stock tire height is 27.2

Nitto NT05
315-35-20
28.7" tall according to other tires
(odd as the MT 305-30 shows taller while a 315-35 should be taller)

MT ET Street radial 2
305-30-20
28.9" tall

I thought there was a BFG option but I must be missing it.
Nitto makes the NT555R also but seems to be a 305

So my question is.... Has anyone done a 20" DR setup on their viper? What size did you go with? My vert is not lowered so I think the additional tire height will be ok, I am sure it'll throw the speedo off a little.....

Also the iforge wheel COULD be a 20x13 approved rim sizes are 10-12" on the 20" DRs. Any opinions on this? I'm sure it will mount fine but it might look a little skinny on the rim?

Anyone have pictures of these on a car?

lotti

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Appartenly there is no good option that I know of for 20" drag radial which really *****. I am thinking about getting a 19/20 combo and would really like to go with a drag radial. I have some 18" rims I am running DR's on they hook so good I hate putting my stock rims and tires on because they just do not hook up. Between the corvette and viper market you would think somebody would make 345 size drag radial.

OP
OP
D

dester243

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, they have a great 19" DR size the 345-30-19 but 20" goes a little narrow.... I guess some z06 guys use the 315-35-20 nt05R with good success. I wanted to see if any viper owners had tried it out first before buying a pair.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The size difference for overall OD is affected by the aspect ratio as well. Hence the reason the 30 series is larger on the OD.

OP
OP
D

dester243

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually. I thought about buying factory wheels. How much does a set go for these days? Anyone have any 03+ stock Viper wheels other than the h spokes for sale?

As far as the sizes being different. The mt 305 30 is listed as a taller tire than the 315 35 nt05r. Mathematically the 315 35 should be taller

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't worry about the speedo accuracy.
The input comes from the ABS controller, not the rear wheels. -pulls the info from the front I think.
Notice that the speedo doesn't rise while doing a burnout.

Which is a good thing for us, cuz the mileage on Vipers would be a lot higher than the actual miles driven. :headbang:

OP
OP
D

dester243

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it reads off the fronts, then how does the speedo work on a chassis dyno?

Also, I don't really care about the speedo being off. I was worried more about fitment and rubbing issues. If it fits and drives well (you know how vipers can be very "darty") then that's all I care about.

Also, I typed the reply out then my 3 month old was hungry. By the time she was fed, burped, changed and went back to sleep, the computer had already reset the token. So it was a decent amount of time.

shine

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Haven't done DRs on the Viper, but my other SRT-8s use 20" wheels also. I run the 20" Nitto 555Rs on my 600-hp Challenger and get great traction from them... Only thing with Nittos is that they are notorious for needing a fat, nasty burnout to make them stick. But when they do...

Sticky Mickeys are good too, but I've never tried their 20s

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't run DRs on any of my Vipers but have on my mustangs. Can't say I liked my Nitto's, I ran the 20" 315 and it was really just so-so. 700rwhp doesn't help but still, MT is the way to go if you go that way, if you know what I mean. You lose handling for sure, some guys say it's fine but as a open track guy my opinion is DRs **** in corners, so to me if you do it I'd go with a spare setup like you're already considering, if so, go with the 19's in rear then you're talking. Nice setup on the car BTW, I'm sure hooking that thing up is a challenge.

Dave.

OP
OP
D

dester243

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The mt in a 20 shows to be taller and narrower. That and my local wd is out of them otherwise it would be an obvious choice.

I think I am going to give the nt05r a try. Saw a couple Vette guys with them doing pretty well. 700 a pair compared to 700 per pirelli. If I get a summer out of it I will be happy.

Will post pictures when I get them mounted and on the car.

Time to throw her on the dyno to see what she puts down today.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We can sell you a set of 18x13 rear iForged wheels to match your current set, then you'd have a pair of rear wheels dedicated to a sticky tire. My car was able to hook 2nd gear on 19" Nitto NT05R drag radials when it was at 800 rwhp. At 900 rwhp on Paxton, my 18" M/T drag radials hook in 2nd.

Tony

OP
OP
D

dester243

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I might find a set of stock wheels for probably how much money I would spend on the iforge matching rears.

I already ordered the 20 DRs also. So might as well use it and see how it does. I think at the power level I am at it will be fine.