Seat lowering install help

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did one in my gen3 but the gen4 has a couple extra electronics. I'm done easy peasy except the harness on the stock rails, does that get pulled off, it's very resistant to coming off, and get put on the replacement? I know the unit on the floor gets remounted, but not sure about the harness ?

OP
OP
D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
C'mon guys, I know someone knows this, lol.

Was on travel yesterday and will resume tonight on the harness thing, only little thing I have to figure out, thought I'd bump this ttt in the meatime. Thnx

I tried a search, but can't get a good search string to **** out tons of threads.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm assuming your asking about the drivers side? You need to remove the sensor from the stock seat slider and re-attach. I haven't done this is a few years, find a hard piece of plastic or thin metal that you can use as a bracket to attach the sensor to the seat frame in front. Make sure that the sensor stays flat and in the same position as it is on the stock seat. Hopefully I'm clear? Basically you need to create a bracket for the sensor and attach it to the seat in a similar fashion to the stock set up. There is a thread or two somewhere here. This is DIY fabrication, not aware of any bracket for sale. Good luck, Mike

OP
OP
D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, just the driver side. Hmmm. Ok, the black box sensor thing is a tough bugger to get off the tab on the stock rails. But I guess I need to figure out how to do it on the new rails. I had heard about floor module remounting but not about this sensor, musy have missed it. I'll try searching again and maybe reach out to Mark or Jon, see if anyone has invented the wheel already. Thnx, that does help at least to know what I've got to figure out.
Dave.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, I just went down to take a look (it's been 5 years since I did it). I recall the sensor just had 2 screws holding it on to the stock frame? I thought it was easy to remove? I'd like to send a picture but too hard to see and I'd have to pull the seat. I can see that I drilled a hole in the front aluminunm rail about 3-4" in from the door side. That's where I attached a hard piece of plastic (tripple thick credit card size) and mounted the sensor.

I think the gateway module is only an issue with the 2" drop, I've got the 1". touch base with Mark J, but I think you have to fabricate your own mount. If your doing the gateway for a 2" I'm sure he can help you. good luck, Mike

OP
OP
D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, Mike. Just talked to MarkJ, I'm squared away now, I should wrap that part up in a few mins tonight, then on to the rollbar. Gotta love this car community we have here, what a resource.

PS- thnx to Ryan for Mark's #.

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How about posting some pictures and a brief write up for your anyone else that may be contemplating this same install? I am seriously thinking about doing this also. Thanks

OP
OP
D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As Mark explained to me, the sensor measures the position of the seat and how hard the airbag deploys as a result. I unscrewed the fasteners and removed it, attached under the seat on the cushion rods with wire tie, very secure and will work .. it's not exact as stock, but my seat is always as far back as possible so no concern about airbag inflation.

You know I literally finished the install of the rails and then thought, shoot, I should have done pics or a vid since the instructions are kinda weak, I don't know why I didn't think of it when I started, I guess I was on a mission to just get it done and didn't think. I can take some shots as it is now, I've test the fit but took both seats out still for the rollbar install.