Dealer won't release warranty history on Viper unless I own it?!?

Top_Fuel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking at a 2002 Final Edition GTS. It's a low-mile garage queen, and so far everything checks out. Just to make sure the car doesn't have any surprises in its past, I took the VIN number to my local Chrysler dealer service department to see if they could give me the car's warranty history. The Service Manager said they can only release that info to the owner of the car. Is this typical?

I'm currently a member of a certain GM C6 forum :smirk: where forum dealers are always happy to run a warranty history report for someone. Do any Chrysler forum dealers do this?

The other part of this question is this: Am I wasting my time? Is there even going to be any useful info in the Chrysler database for a 2002 model anyway? :dunno:

Reaction score
Chrysler records will really only provide any warranty repairs, the local "service records" are for the owner only generally. it's a privacy thing here at our dealership.

OP
OP
T

Top_Fuel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chrysler records will really only provide any warranty repairs...
Thanks for the reply. :)

The warranty history is all I needed. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some warranty nightmare in this car's past. The current owner is a very nice guy and has owned the car for 10 years, but he knows nothing about the warranty history of the car before he bought it.

Interesting...I've had forum sponsor GM dealers run warranty history reports for all sorts of GM cars before when I've seen them on Auto Trader, etc. I wouldn't buy a used Z06 without seeing its warranty history.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe you can get the current owner to okay your local dealer to run the report for you or he could have it run and then provide it to you.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call Chuck Tator at Tator's Garage, I bet he can help with the history.

MoparBoyy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i could look it up too, but its a violation of the agreement the dealers make with Chrysler Corp.

Scottsviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just bought my Viper about 3 months ago and I called on every car I looked and each time the dealer gave me all the info I wanted. i called 2 dealers and talked with the mgr. Each car (about 6) They ran the vin# and gave me all the info they had. They even offered to call the dealer that serviced the car and talk to them about hpw nice the car really is. Just find another dealer and talk to the mgr and ask nicely and I bet you will get the info you need
I'm looking at a 2002 Final Edition GTS. It's a low-mile garage queen, and so far everything checks out. Just to make sure the car doesn't have any surprises in its past, I took the VIN number to my local Chrysler dealer service department to see if they could give me the car's warranty history. The Service Manager said they can only release that info to the owner of the car. Is this typical?

I'm currently a member of a certain GM C6 forum :smirk: where forum dealers are always happy to run a warranty history report for someone. Do any Chrysler forum dealers do this?

The other part of this question is this: Am I wasting my time? Is there even going to be any useful info in the Chrysler database for a 2002 model anyway? :dunno:

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dealers are not supposed to look up service records on a car if you are not the owner. My local dealer would not do it either. However, give Tator a call.... he's not a dealer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235