Window Stanchion seal can you replace seal or have to replace entirely?

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to replace the whole unit, which was ~$500 last time I checked. There are threads about using adhesives to fix it, but I tried everything under the sun and never could get it to work. I finally got one off a wreck I was helping part out. I would call one of the Viper salvage places.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to replace the whole unit, which was ~$500 last time I checked. There are threads about using adhesives to fix it, but I tried everything under the sun and never could get it to work. I finally got one off a wreck I was helping part out. I would call one of the Viper salvage places.

The seal almost looks like it shrinks a bit over time. Even if you glue it there is a large gap.

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The seal almost looks like it shrinks a bit over time. Even if you glue it there is a large gap.

The weatherstrip is rather rigid and actually extends down into the door several inches. No matter how many different adhesives/epoxy/clamps I used, the first time I would roll up the window it seemed to torque the strip and break it free again. Probably one of the most frustrating car problems I have tried to solve because it should be such a simple thing to fix.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll shoot a pic of my "fix" tonight and you can judge for yourself if its something you'd consider doing as well. Saving a buck is saving a buck that can be used elsewhere. Unless you knew how it was suppose to look, you'd never know it was modified.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll shoot a pic of my "fix" tonight and you can judge for yourself if its something you'd consider doing as well. Saving a buck is saving a buck that can be used elsewhere. Unless you knew how it was suppose to look, you'd never know it was modified.

Details please ?

BlueLIGHTNING

Viper Owner
Reaction score
the outer seal on the stanchion on passenger side fell in the door today and look at the drivers side it has split and just hanging there where it looks like it was seamed together. Guess its an expensive fix for a bit of weather stripping :rolleyes:

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Clean it really good with a wax/grease remover and use super glue. Have to hold it with your finger until it completely sets up. Mine had a small tear and it has held for almost a year now.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Clean it really good with a wax/grease remover and use super glue. Have to hold it with your finger until it completely sets up. Mine had a small tear and it has held for almost a year now.

small tear? so it was still attached a bit? mine are split in 2. last I checked, they were about $600. salvage one def the way to go. BUT, wouldn't the salvage one eventually have same problem? or are the replacements a tad longer or more flexible?

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On EllowViper's behalf:

"Well, there are several options. Most have been discussed on the VCA. When I had mine all apart, I figured it was a lost cause trying to reattach the strip with adhesive (been there and failed) and I figured I couldn't screw it up any worst that it was if I experimented with some other ideas. Worst case is that I'd have to get a new/replacement part anyways. SO since the weatherstip is embedded over a metal strip, I scratched my head and thought about ways to fasten it to its polished door trim piece. Seeing as I'm immersed in aviation stuff and have seen all sorts of fastener ideas, I thought it wouldn't look too ghetto if one were to drill through the door trim and use some tasteful fasteners that would look OEM on the polished door trim. Since I didn't have anything really cool in the garage, I simply used four aluminum pop rivets with large heads (to prevent cracking the plastic) spaced evenly along the edge and then covered the heads of the rivets with shiny black automotive vinyl. To cut the small vinyl circles, I used a metal hole punch that was just a little bigger than the rivet head. I was actually surprised that it looked OK for the most part. The vinyl covering over the rivet heads match perfectly and have withstood waxing, washing, and normal wear and tear. I think that if one used some nice cosmetic fasteners in lieu of my approach, it would look fine as well. Bottom-line, one can fix these things better than original. I guess if the passenger side fails in the future, I'll simply do the same thing so they match. But unless you knew this was not OEM, you'd never notice it."

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper