Gen V Convertible?

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I've had them out plenty of times taking the back panel off. The thing is that those bolts will rarely ever get that stressed in an accident. If you try to bend the hoops forward or back while mounted on the car you're trying to bend the whole mounting foot that the tube slides into, the bolts see fairly little loading. Those stock hoops are chassis mounted though. There's a crossbar that goes between the frame rails behind the seats and in front of the gas thank. That's what those mounting feet are attached to with some pretty heft socket heads bolts. It's not like they just put some bolts through sheet metal. I tried looking up pictures of Viper accidents to see what sort of condition the roll bars were in after damage like that and for the most part they look like they hold just just fine. I don't recall finding a single picture with a bar completely missing, but it can be hard to see through the wreckage. One of the ones I saw any kind of damage on was a wreck on the Autobahn at high speed. The passenger bar was bent slightly backward, but not much and was still fully attached.

Sounds like you've convinced yourself that decorative hoops are a rollbar, which is cool, but trust me, no one else is drinking that cool aide. Real bars bolt thru plates with 5 fasteners or welding or both. Including this viper I've put 5 rollbars in my verts. I won't bet my life or my sons life on decorative-hoops. Some people are comfortable riding motorcycles without helmets, everyone's got their own level of comfort with things. I have seen 2 vipers after roll overs with autoforms in them and I'm convinced that's 3 lives that were saved by those bars.

I've had 2 BMW verts and both in the $50k range and both with ROLPS, even accepted by SCCA right from the factory for track events. It's lame to me that a $100+K car, an exotic at that, can't manage a ROLPS option at least. And I hate tearing into my brand new car to make it safe, and trust if you've installed a real rollbar, you tear into the car. Those lame brackets that hold the hoops on to the cross bar and nothing by comparison. But to each his own. Seems like a power top is a big deal to many, which to me seems like a nit pick, so what do I know.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree 100% with Jay... this is viper.

You must be registered for see images attach

Bob, this is the picture I was telling you about at the Ohio party. :D
I was gonna email it to you but Jay posted it first.

Oh if only this would be an option. I'd be locked and loaded for this. I'm closer to a coupe than I ever have been this go round, 3 verts, I'm waiting to see what they do with the vert, but who knows, which is amazing for me, I've loved my verts. Can't wait to be in a position to decide though! I do know if I could order a TA, I'd say what vert, and order away. LoL

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a stock option - I had one, and it was completely manual roof - and not a cheap modification - they completely changed the entire trunk and roof mounting system in the trunk.. The rear window that dropped at the touch of a button was nice....

Diane

It was a stock option, called the Trans Top, but was only available in Europe and Japan. Check Wikipedia, it has some info on it. But to come back to the Viper, I never understood why they changed from a targa to a convertible in the first place. I like the convertible, but the lines of a targa are far more pleasing to the eye for me.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Believe they changed from a targa to full vert because the toneau top was too large to be stored in the trunk.

The current soft top actually has a hard forward section and hard glass rear window. Only the folding parts are soft cloth. This gives much of the quiet benefits, while still being able to be folded up without taking away valuable trunk space.

Current top system is super simple with only one central lever to be unlatched, and the trunk be open to put it up or down in just a few seconds. Inexpensive, light, dependable. Very compatible Viper values.

F

FrgMstr

Sounds like you've convinced yourself that decorative hoops are a rollbar, which is cool, but trust me, no one else is drinking that cool aide. Real bars bolt thru plates with 5 fasteners or welding or both. Including this viper I've put 5 rollbars in my verts. I won't bet my life or my sons life on decorative-hoops. Some people are comfortable riding motorcycles without helmets, everyone's got their own level of comfort with things. I have seen 2 vipers after roll overs with autoforms in them and I'm convinced that's 3 lives that were saved by those bars.

I've had 2 BMW verts and both in the $50k range and both with ROLPS, even accepted by SCCA right from the factory for track events. It's lame to me that a $100+K car, an exotic at that, can't manage a ROLPS option at least. And I hate tearing into my brand new car to make it safe, and trust if you've installed a real rollbar, you tear into the car. Those lame brackets that hold the hoops on to the cross bar and nothing by comparison. But to each his own. Seems like a power top is a big deal to many, which to me seems like a nit pick, so what do I know.

Worth inputting here...GrailKeeper commenting on the roll hoops:

It's a good question. As in many cases this issue is wrapped up in legal issues. Specifically, what is a roll bar/hoop and what isn't and what claims can or can't be made as such. In our case we wanted to have the occupants protected if the car went over on it's head. The idea would be to have a straight line from the sport hoop to the hood. We reasoned that the windshield would collapse but the area created between the hood and sport hoop would serve to create an area of protection. They are plenty strong and will support the weight of the car when upside down....GK

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Worth inputting here...GrailKeeper commenting on the roll hoops:

I don't doubt they'll "support the car when upside down", but that's a far cry from flipping at speed. I don't buy they'll hold up, the first time I pulled the decorative-hoops I laughed at them. Of course hearing the design calls for the windhsield to collapse is a bit more frightening. Most verts are designed with roll support in the A pillar, even cheap ones like a mustang (which I've not trusted either & put bars in), but not a real ROLPS like the BMWs or MBs, but sounds like the viper doesn't even have support in the A pillar by that quote. The more we post the more I'm leaning to a coupe, stop already, lol. Bottom line the hoops are marketed as decorative & not roll protection, I take the manufacturers word on that, just my opinion, obviously many others have other opinions as well. I just wish they'd announce it and we could start debating the real design already. ;-)

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's not much of a flip, I'm sure it's fine in a slow roll over, but wouldn't want to bet my life on it. Windshield is designed to collapse according to the other post above and this one is fine so must'nt have been much of an inverted impact, fortunately for the occupants I hope.

I guess we'll keep debating the roll-over life-saving abililty of the decorative hoops of older gens until they release the gen5 vert. lol Occupies time I gues.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some race sanctioning bodies accept the stock hoops. The one I found was weird though because it accepted 04 and up, but not 03 (http://www.thedriversedge.net/droptop.htm). I'm guessing it's just a misprint and they meant 03+. They accept a stock S2000 roll bar which isn't much to look at either (http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-2003-H...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3f239e8605).

Yea if I was running in an event with that group I'd call. They have the viper wrong in both the approved and unapproved areas, and the RT not being approved considering its a targa and they approve T-tops, is weird, me thinks they be confuseth. And much is track dependent, like Summit Point you need the factory ROLPS like BMW or an aftermarket bar, like autoform for Viper but no broom-stick test, at VIR you do need a broom-stick test. Safest is always to call and ask for the track rules, I've seen guys show up told one thing & tech says something else, real bummer.

F

FrgMstr

Roll hoop still on these...all stated as rollover accidents at wreckedexotics.com. From all the wrecks, it is hard to find pictures of roll over accidents....since these cars don't roll that easily. And it seems the hatchback guys can't drive as good as us convertible owners! JK. I don't think anyone here is suggesting that the roll hoops are a "roll bar" or would give the same amount of protection. If I tracked my car a whole lot, there is no doubt that it would have a roll bar in it. And I have pondered putting a roll bar in anyway, but honestly, I just do not like the way those look.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Finoke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi , I'm a newbie. Was a roadster available in any of the gen v years?

broomrider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi , I'm a newbie. Was a roadster available in any of the gen v years?
Viper Exchange in Houston is the one behind the convertible Gen V. Only a handful were done. They have one left in Red. Last time I checked

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper