Gen 1 mods - cold air intake, exhaust, cooling, and brake lights

bcgeyer1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Newer owner of a used 1994 RT/10. Could use some direction/feedback regarding the following :

1) Is there a recommended cold air intake mod for gen 1's? Seems like they are readily available for Gen 2 and later, but can't find much for Gen 1.
2) Looking at some point to put in a new exhaust that is cooler, adds more horsepower, and a louder tone. Want to keep cats, as I don't want to change the system in and out during smog testing (located in SoCal). Best recommendation?
3) Engine seems to get hot fast. Is there a radiator/fan mod to combat that?
4) All 3 brake lights are out. Haven't checked fuse yet, but I assume that is likely the issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome and congrats on the purchase :2tu:

I'll try to help with a few of your questions.

Intake: Many people swap the normal intake tubes with "smooth tubes".
Exhaust: Definitely get high flow cats, they are a huge help to the heat. I can drive my car for hours in 95 degree heat and the side sills are warm to the touch but will not burn you. There are a few exhaust options. I have a Borla and like it. It's loud, but not too loud.
Engine: Have you checked your overflow coolant bottle to make sure it has the proper fluid level? I know there was a fan mod kit that would allow you to run the fan after stopping the car to help cool it.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off, it's great to see another gen 1 fan.

As for cooling. I'd recommend swapping the radiator fan/shroud and going with the gen II style. (If yours has little plastic doors, you need to swap.) I swapped radiators and fan shroud in my '94 a few years ago.. good mod. I also wired the 'mystery' switch so it turns on the rad. fan on mine.

Sorry about the UPS truck exhaust note. I got rid of it by removing the cats...(guess that won't work for you). Any aftermarket exhaust will make the thing drone pretty loud....

Use the search feature for info. EVERYTHING that affects your cars' operation has been posted here!

Cheers!

Sainthitch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Welcome! i have a 94 as well.

intake-smooth tubes and k&n filters
exhaust-look up ROE racing, i love mine
Break lights-1 of 2 issues. Its either the fuse or the brake pressure switch that is located on the brake pedal. both an easy and cheep fix.

OP
OP
B

bcgeyer1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks to you all for the suggestions - they give me some good direction as to what to check into. Appreciate it.....

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just took my wife's 95 to COTA. It has Roe high flows and 3" bullet muffllers and it was loud! It has always been obnoxious (heh, heh), but it hurt my ears that day even with a helmet on.
You may want to go with a 2.5" system. Maybe some 2.5" stainless round mufflers (not bullet). You won't pick up much horsepower unless you ditch the factory cat, but again that will lead to more noise.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
VolsTN, since Stretch has not been on these forums much lately, I sent him a link to this thread. As his password is not handy, I am posting his response from an email that he sent to me:
"...I actually do not know the part number. The previous owner told me it was a Borla."

Sorry that this is not nuch help to you. If Stretch finds more info, I will post it.

Good luck !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper