Custom interior and audio build thread! 1998 GTS

Curz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I like it. Im looking for a new one myself soon. I think its the most dated looking piece
besides stock wheels

OP
OP
K

ksgts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Agreed!! Go to momos website they have a couple really nice wheels.

OP
OP
K

ksgts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Monday update. The whole car is now dyno matted, can't wait to hear the difference. Also the fiberglass got started today which includes the radio bezel, and the headliner. I'm moving all the switches in the car to the overhead console. Here is the custom switch panel for the over head console. Also we are having a very hard time getting the steering wheel off. We keep stripping our the bolts that attach to the puller.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea, the switches are not looking good. Perhaps it is because of how they are shown in the photo?

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any pics of the doors before the dynamat and after ripping the plastic off? Don't want to bother you too much for those. Thanks!

OP
OP
K

ksgts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yea, the switches are not looking good. Perhaps it is because of how they are shown in the photo?

The switches have been an issue, I seriously look everywhere for a custom switch panel. I bet with this whole build that I have spent more time figuring that out then everything else. Couple of thing I like about this panel in particular, first the panel is very thin, and comes prestudded for easy installation. It also has a pin cable that is very small and thin making the wiring easy. All of the wires connect to power modules that are controlled by the panel. The panel is back lit blue, which is the new color of all my back lighting, Again this panel isn't perfect but it was a close as I could find to what I wanted. Here is a diagram and a pic of the switch panel lite up.

heliguy25

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The switches have been an issue, I seriously look everywhere for a custom switch panel. I bet with this whole build that I have spent more time figuring that out then everything else. Couple of thing I like about this panel in particular, first the panel is very thin, and comes prestudded for easy installation. It also has a pin cable that is very small and thin making the wiring easy. All of the wires connect to power modules that are controlled by the panel. The panel is back lit blue, which is the new color of all my back lighting, Again this panel isn't perfect but it was a close as I could find to what I wanted. Here is a diagram and a pic of the switch panel lite up.

just gives kind of a cheap look IMO. Not to be rude though, looks like a lot of work !

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
switch panel looks much better with the backlight on :2tu:
This is going to turn out great!

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wondering, with all the electrical extras going in this car, do you plan on adding an additional Battery?

I drove my GTS to a car show, Put on a DVD and within an hour tried to start the car and the battery did not have enough juice to turn the engine over!

Curz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree on the switches. With all the work your putting in those come off a bit cheap.
Just an honest opinion.

OP
OP
K

ksgts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just wondering, with all the electrical extras going in this car, do you plan on adding an additional Battery?

I drove my GTS to a car show, Put on a DVD and within an hour tried to start the car and the battery did not have enough juice to turn the engine over!

Yes I am putting in a extra battery, though it wont be enough to leave the system on for a car show. Really the only way to do that would be an inverter.

OP
OP
K

ksgts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree on the switches. With all the work your putting in those come off a bit cheap.
Just an honest opinion.

I definitely respect your guys opinion, I just wish there would have been more options available. Though I think that once it is installed it will look better, and they are not cheap. The switches are around 450 dollars, which I wish cosmetically the looked that price, though functionally they are extremely high quality switches. I really wanted a setup that looked like a mini cooper rocker switch setup. If I would have done it this way the ball of wiring that would have had to go up to the switch panel would have been huge probably a 1 1/2 in diameter or larger. Anyways I hope that you like the finished product better, and if anyone knows of a better option let me know.

hiss highness

Enthusiast
Reaction score
blaupunkt at one time had a stalk mounted eq, it bolted to the floor and was flexible to position anywhere. could modifiy the head to accept toggles or ur existing kit car setup, the center console also seems a lot of wasted space, could modify a consol from a 03 up to fit(like the nice one on vpa right now) and hide switches in the console, or modify the door skins to accept all switches like window/heat/mirrors etc, even utilize switches from gm vehicles(not quit sacrilege since some gm cars from around 2000 had excellent ergonomics and can be had cheap for experimenting), Chrysler still has cheesy interiors, I am going to do a stereo delete in mine and utilize that space for aesthetic purposes, would rather have speakers in the seats like fieros once had with a little amp with a ipod, would save a whack o weight. not liking the kitt car effect but cudos to the other stuff/effort, goin overhead seems to be the problem, supposed to be a viper not a kitt car semi truck, to each there own I guess

OP
OP
K

ksgts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hear ya there, and no hard feelings always appreciate honesty. I guess I like the over head thing because I love flying. Though again that part is just a personal preference.

OP
OP
K

ksgts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The headliner is finished, It really does look amazing, the pictures don't do it justice. It's hard to see but the blue stitch pops, can't wait to power everything up. Here is the dash with the cluster bezels cut out, and where the stitch lines are going to be. (ignore the hash marks they are a reference for installing the suede)

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

ksgts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Lol not really.

Looks fine, always up for something new. Much better than that ****ty stock netting.

Thanks, really most of the ideas as far as materials and designs have come from Ferrari's. A mixture of suede and leather with large stitching is the current fad. I understand the overhead switches some people may not be into, but when it's done it really will be someting new and different.

By the way thanks again with LED help earlier.

OP
OP
K

ksgts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great job, You're right, The pics do not do it justice. I found it hard to take pics of my carbon Dash but it looks Awesome ;)

looking forward to seeing the dash done ......

Great job.

Really appreciate it! Well they got the dash cover sewed up today, and did some more wiring. I also took parts of the dash over to paint this morning. Can't wait to show you how the dash will look when its done. Not a whole lot to share, though I'm headed to las vegas tomorrow and wont be back until monday, so obviously there wont really be any updates till I get back.

OP
OP
K

ksgts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Back from vegas, what an insane weekend. Anyways went by the shop today not a whole lot to report apparently they have been swamped. They did get the dash wrapped look amazing, they also finished a lot of wiring. Oh they also had another Viper interior dropped of this morning. Anyways I'll keep you all up to date.

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Though not all these mods are my style, I commend you for going through the effort of updating. I would like to look through a lot of these threads during the long winter and see what tickles my fancy :) thanks for the ideas

OP
OP
K

ksgts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I thought I would give you a little insight were I'm getting some of these ideas from. I LOVE the interior in the Ferrari 458. There are so many variations but the thick stitch, suede, and the seats all are being based off of ideas from the 458. Examples below.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sat in a 458 with that interior and did not want to leave the car. In the end I was asked to get out as other people wanted to try out the car :D

Love it, Now the 458 steering wheel would be a nice edition :D
Hope you're going to throw a bit of carbon into the mix too?