Venom Black GTS'S Inbound

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two of my local dealers have venom black GTS vehicles listed as inbound or in transit on their websites. Wondering if this is a coincidence or if Dealers with multiple allocations are all getting these? Both subject dealers got Launch Editions and I know at least one had a red SRT car as well.

Meanwhile custom orders are.....:dunno:

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup - my black GTS is still in "production scheduled" status with a lower VIN and a VCA member having ordered it. Not sure how they're deciding the order in which these cars are built but hopefully they're making all their mistakes on the dealers' cars so by the time they get to mine they've got it right.

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see how SRT can possibly tell which cars were ordered by VCA members and which weren't. they could be trying to spread the cars out geographically too... getting them out there for the public to see.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dunno how they tell, but they made a point of telling members ordering cars to have the dealer put their VCA number with the order and that those orders would be built first. So much for that, eh?

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dunno how they tell, but they made a point of telling members ordering cars to have the dealer put their VCA number with the order and that those orders would be built first. So much for that, eh?
But who are "they?" I know it's been a long time since you all have placed orders and such, but I'm just wondering if actual SRT staff told you this, or if this was just hearsay on the forums. Perhaps SRT would rather send VCA members the best Vipers instead of the first. BTW, if SRT needs a PR intern... I think i'd be perfect for the job:{)

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Read it on the forums here (as more than just hearsay) and I would have sworn it was said by SRT as well.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But who are "they?" I know it's been a long time since you all have placed orders and such, but I'm just wondering if actual SRT staff told you this, or if this was just hearsay on the forums. Perhaps SRT would rather send VCA members the best Vipers instead of the first. BTW, if SRT needs a PR intern... I think i'd be perfect for the job:{)

SRT (I think it was Ralph) said it was their goal to give VCA members priority, which I believe they did in a lot of ways. They listened to VCA members when designing the cars, and attempted to create options for the purist (SRT model, for example) as well as other target markets (GTS). But they dropped the ball when it came to build order. All of my dealer's cars have either come in or are being built now, except mine. And I was the first to order, by far. My order was entered in the computer the morning of the first day that ordering opened. My dealer has been great, but SRT hasn't stepped up to the plate.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would suspect that they are building the orders for the cars that they can source all the options. If you ordered a special wheel or interior that has not yet been rec'd by the supplier, then they will put that order further back.

Also, they ship out full trucks only, so a bunch will be staged and then go out all at once to a region. A order in a area where there is only a single car going will have to wait till they have a full truckload to send out.

Have seen this in the past, as while the owner is being emotional (understandably) the factory must be a bit practical.

I believe I even saw one on a truck with mismatched wheels. Probably going to have the dealer sort that out before delivery.

From recent posts it seems as though the rate of cars being delivered to new owners is rapidly ramping up.

Going to be a lot of really happy new owners soon.

In addition, some who had earlier versions say this new car is a pretty big step up in quality, looks and performance.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would suspect that they are building the orders for the cars that they can source all the options. If you ordered a special wheel or interior that has not yet been rec'd by the supplier, then they will put that order further back.

Also, they ship out full trucks only, so a bunch will be staged and then go out all at once to a region. A order in a area where there is only a single car going will have to wait till they have a full truckload to send out.

Have seen this in the past, as while the owner is being emotional (understandably) the factory must be a bit practical.

I believe I even saw one on a truck with mismatched wheels. Probably going to have the dealer sort that out before delivery.

From recent posts it seems as though the rate of cars being delivered to new owners is rapidly ramping up.

Going to be a lot of really happy new owners soon.

In addition, some who had earlier versions say this new car is a pretty big step up in quality, looks and performance.

I'm a design engineer for products similar in complexity to cars, and I agree with you that logistics are extremely challenging. Supply chain management, working out last-minute quirks in the product or process, Etc. So I have been patient, but the factory has confirmed that all parts to make my Viper are in stock. Stryker Red adds a twist too. Ralph and team are still my heroes, but honestly the guys in scheduling could have done better for guys like MoparMan and me. We were first to order and are VCA. The effort on SRT's management and communication of schedule could have been stronger.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul, I was suspecting this too, but it really doesn't explain my car which is black with gunmetal stripes (they've already built that color combo), with the base GTS interior in black (they've already shipped cars with that too) and hyperblack venom rims (same thing - already shipped). The only things I can figure are that at least one of those is in short supply and is indeed holding up my car or I'm simply at the back of the list for some reason.

OP
OP
P

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not even at frame stage yet and though I didn't order when you & Todd did, I did order in 2012, over 5 months ago. Next week is gonna be June..its getting old. I can understand guys like ViperSmith getting frustrating thinking they are sick of the car before even getting it because we've been talking about this for a 1/2 year or more at this point.

I too saw that car with different wheels on it. If that was my order & it was delivered that way I would flip the ***** out...just sayin'

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, look at the bright side. Sergio got his custom one off while people that put cash down sit and twiddle their thumbs.

Must be nice to be the boss.

It is nice seeing guys getting their cars, but honestly I just got bored with the car before getting it due to waiting and no info. Which, is a bad scenario. I know those that hold out will be happy in the end, but I am an instant gratification kind of guy and there was no way I saw getting it before July. Nine months from ordering. Would have been 5 months after they told me I'd originally get it (March)

I understand production delays, but I don't understand 5 months of production delays. You all that can wait it out are better men than me. Plus, seeing local dealers get cars, toss $50k-150k ADM on them while I sat and waited was, just a poke in the eye.

Test drove a 991 S this weekend. A fun car. But, just didn't fall in love with it. I think I'll keep my BMW and just wait until I am ready to order a Viper again. Looked at a GT-R today, but they apparently don't let people test drive them. lmao, it is (not to sound snobby) only a $100,000 car - not some museum piece! Heck the Porsche I drove was $130,000 and they didn't even ask me for my license to take it for a spin.

Mamba52

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, look at the bright side. Sergio got his custom one off while people that put cash down sit and twiddle their thumbs.

Must be nice to be the boss.

It is nice seeing guys getting their cars, but honestly I just got bored with the car before getting it due to waiting and no info. Which, is a bad scenario. I know those that hold out will be happy in the end, but I am an instant gratification kind of guy and there was no way I saw getting it before July. Nine months from ordering. Would have been 5 months after they told me I'd originally get it (March)

I understand production delays, but I don't understand 5 months of production delays. You all that can wait it out are better men than me. Plus, seeing local dealers get cars, toss $50k-150k ADM on them while I sat and waited was, just a poke in the eye.

Test drove a 991 S this weekend. A fun car. But, just didn't fall in love with it. I think I'll keep my BMW and just wait until I am ready to order a Viper again. Looked at a GT-R today, but they apparently don't let people test drive them. lmao, it is (not to sound snobby) only a $100,000 car - not some museum piece! Heck the Porsche I drove was $130,000 and they didn't even ask me for my license to take it for a spin.

My wife's Cayyane needed the oil changed this week. ViperSmith what BMW model do you have? I love the Z4M but I also like the new Boxter S.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to rain on your parade but I waited 15 Months for my Gen IV, Found out the biggest hold up was in shipping as they were waiting to get a full truck to come out west.
No parade, just that it's been a much longer wait than expected or advertised.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a boring 335i!

The sound of the NA 911 engine was fantastic though.

Maybe ill give a Cayman a spin too.

The price of Porsches is getting a bit out if control IMHO.

OP
OP
P

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
gotta love the whole big picture of the story: Detroit becomes Insolvent and a Presidential candidate said no one and nothing is too big to fail, let them go into bankruptcy like you or I would have to. That wasn't too popular with the 1/2 of Americans that don't contribute one red cent into the system so the incumbent kept his spot. Bailouts flow like cash advances off a credit card and some of those companies gave large executive bonuses instead of using the resources to pull their companies out of the hole. and yet others did surface and revive themselves but have produced little product. Gonna hang in there on the order but I can understand the frustrations that are out there.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If car is confirmed built and you are waiting and waiting for shipping, just fly in and take delivery at factory. Guys you have to be proactive and take charge at a certain point. I am sure your dealer would work with you on delivery fees that would have been charged if SRT delivered it.

I had same problems with Saleen's I bought over the years, but had to work with Saleen to have full agreement on me picking car up and what was left to get done back at the dealer once parts actually came in. Shipping the car with four different rims but you have the right rim on MRSP sheet and dealer/SRT will definitely get you the right rims in a few weeks is about the smallest, non stressful issue you can face.

Guys these are the issues you face with a small production, specialty niche vehicle. Rather than stressing or complaining, be pro-active, pick the phone up and call the factory yourself. You do not need to put the middle man dealer who is really just. Franchise location in the loop each and every time. SRT is a small manufacturer business. Do you think they really do not care that a custom order may cancel? Hardly! They absolutely care as it is the lifeblood of SRT.

My point is, forget the blame game and take charge of your own destiny. If any of you have had serious medical issues or other major issues in life, you know to get it done right and to your satisfaction, you must be professional and take charge. This is that time!

All I would suggest is VCA talk with the SRT factory and find out the name and number of authorized representative at SRT factory who will field these calls and help solve the problem. That provides VCA members some real value. We all understanding part sourcing issues and importance of good solid communications. Above scenario solves the issue and gets everyone back on the same page. It is just that simple!

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If someone is paying 100 grands+ why he should fly to the factory and take it? your already paying shipping fees and thats proactive enough for me.

OP
OP
P

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just call the factory and thats that huh? Why didnt I think of that? LOL

here ya go: SRT # 855-778-8326 oh, and best of luck to ya!

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If car is confirmed built and you are waiting and waiting for shipping, just fly in and take delivery at factory. Guys you have to be proactive and take charge at a certain point. I am sure your dealer would work with you on delivery fees that would have been charged if SRT delivered it.

I had same problems with Saleen's I bought over the years, but had to work with Saleen to have full agreement on me picking car up and what was left to get done back at the dealer once parts actually came in. Shipping the car with four different rims but you have the right rim on MRSP sheet and dealer/SRT will definitely get you the right rims in a few weeks is about the smallest, non stressful issue you can face.

Guys these are the issues you face with a small production, specialty niche vehicle. Rather than stressing or complaining, be pro-active, pick the phone up and call the factory yourself. You do not need to put the middle man dealer who is really just. Franchise location in the loop each and every time. SRT is a small manufacturer business. Do you think they really do not care that a custom order may cancel? Hardly! They absolutely care as it is the lifeblood of SRT.

My point is, forget the blame game and take charge of your own destiny. If any of you have had serious medical issues or other major issues in life, you know to get it done right and to your satisfaction, you must be professional and take charge. This is that time!

All I would suggest is VCA talk with the SRT factory and find out the name and number of authorized representative at SRT factory who will field these calls and help solve the problem. That provides VCA members some real value. We all understanding part sourcing issues and importance of good solid communications. Above scenario solves the issue and gets everyone back on the same page. It is just that simple!

I get the sentiment, but all that work should be done by the dealer for several reasons. First and foremost, it is what they are doing to earn their profit. They have to provide a service. Secondly, like stated above, you're purchasing a $100K+ toy. Customer service should exist in some shape or form.

Other than having to have the vehicle repaired for warranty or something, I'm starting to see no value in a dealership. Unless it is one of the majors that have been dealing with Vipers for a while, I don't think they'll provide service worth a damn afterwards anyway. Most of these small dealerships that aren't run well to begin with will have maybe 1-2 Viper techs that will probably not stay employed long anyways. Even if they do, they will see so few Vipers that they won't be able to work on it with any competence.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Why should I be doing anything? The dealer would be making a $8,000 profit on the car. It is the dealers responsibility to make sure I am happy in the equation. If I ordered directly from SRT, your opinion might have merit.

As Policy said above, you don't think people have contacted SRT?

This is a toy, a very expensive toy. SRT should be bending over backwards to make people happy. But, sadly, they haven't IMHO. No one here needs a SRT Viper, we want one. The impetus is on the seller in such a transaction, not the buyer.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just call the factory and thats that huh? Why didnt I think of that? LOL

here ya go: SRT # 855-778-8326 oh, and best of luck to ya!
Yup - I already tried that a couple of weeks ago. A very nice lady answered the phone but she didn't know any more than my dealer or any of us know.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your long wait may be due to your Tea Party sympathies. I heard the person who decides build/delivery order is also named Lerner. Have you noticed any unusual slowness in your computer? It may be Connor Avenue surveillance. JFWY.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had some pretty awesome people on my side trying to get my car built faster: my dealer Paul Normandin (he's made an effort every week for the past 6 months, can't say enough good things about Paul), John Gastman of Roanoke, even Maurice has tried to lend a hand when he was in Detroit. I'm fortunate that Maurice is our region's president. An effort I'm extremely grateful for.

There's some sort of logistics and communications bottleneck at Connor that needs to be improved. Plus I've talked with SRT on the phone and Chrysler VOTs. All nice, well intentioned, but not able to help.

I do like your idea of a VCA-focused authorized rep at SRT, to solve problems and communicate between the parties. That could work if done right.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear what you guys are saying and I know, the dealer has a responsibility and the buyer is paying for service. Believe me I get in and agree BUT I am simply stating that any business transaction if you want to get it done, you sometimes have to think outside the box and just take care of business yourself. If I just took a stance of wait and wait for someone else to do everything for me just because I was paying them to do it or because they should, even on things I was purchasing, I would not have 1/2 of the things in my life. Hey, if I was plinking down $150k on a car you bet I would have found a way to get speed dial to those that are responsible. If any of you had serious health issues and purely left your diagnosis up to the doctor and medical system, you realize you can die waiting for others to do their job. The early bird gets the worm. Right or wrong, that is life.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear what you guys are saying and I know, the dealer has a responsibility and the buyer is paying for service. Believe me I get in and agree BUT I am simply stating that any business transaction if you want to get it done, you sometimes have to think outside the box and just take care of business yourself. If I just took a stance of wait and wait for someone else to do everything for me just because I was paying them to do it or because they should, even on things I was purchasing, I would not have 1/2 of the things in my life. Hey, if I was plinking down $150k on a car you bet I would have found a way to get speed dial to those that are responsible. If any of you had serious health issues and purely left your diagnosis up to the doctor and medical system, you realize you can die waiting for others to do their job. The early bird gets the worm. Right or wrong, that is life.

Stop. Your suggestion of "hey you should all just go pick up the cars at the factory and drive 'em home" is ludicrous. Viper Smith is right on the money and he has some skin in the game. Yeah, YOU would have found out a way to get your car delivered while hundreds of other guys can't. The analogy with health issues is silly. Maybe they can get a second opinion on their situation from........Ralph?

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your long wait may be due to your Tea Party sympathies. I heard the person who decides build/delivery order is also named Lerner. Have you noticed any unusual slowness in your computer? It may be Connor Avenue surveillance. JFWY.
AWESOME! So, what you're saying is that the Obama administration may at least be peripherally responsible for the delay in my car? Wouldn't surprise me. :rolaugh: