HPR track days in June

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saturday the 22nd with Z-Car club-
Open event to all makes of cars (including Vipers). Very well structured event, lots of fun, great people, no egos.
I think this is my 6th year running with these guys, and I always look forward to their track days. They have run groups from novice to advanced. I highly recommend the ZCCC event to anybody new to HPDE. Probably the lowest pressure organized track day you can find. Excellent for first timers.
Also a dealership sponsored event by Boulder Nissan, so no corner working duties for the drivers, lots of seat time, and a very reasonable registration fee.
PM me for more details on this event and registration info.

Saturday the 29th with CECA (Colorado Exotic Car Association)-
Open event to all makes of cars. CECA has some new blood in management and organization, and is working on fixing some issues that interfere with fun, and lowering the **** factor. This is my 5th year with these dudes, (33rd year for CECA).
Run groups from novice to advanced, but a little more intense than the ZCCC. Wider range of assorted cars ranging from econo-box sportscars to high end Ferrari and the like. (Ford GT, ZR-1, Cobra, Lotus, R8, GT-R, ACR-X:omg:) You never know what will show up at a CECA event.
Not quite as much seat time as the ZCCC event, but still enough to wear you out.
This is an HPDE for real car guys that appreciate all the best of all makes, like a rolling car show.
Some of the guys have some ego problems,..... I fix that with my throttle.
No corner working at this event, but no sponsorship either, so the registration is a little higher.
PM me for more details on this event and registration info.

If you haven't had your Viper at the track yet, for whatever reason, stop missing out on the real fun you can have with your car.
No speed limits and no cops.
-Or come out to spectate, and ride along, as both clubs allow passengers.

To any of the Viper track rats out there, come help me thrash on the GT-Rs and whatever else. :headbang:

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a chance I will make the Jun 29 event if my car doesn't sell before then. ;) Last time I ran with CECA however they were a bunch of whiners (don't like passing in corners..esp a certain new Red 458 that didn't like getting passed in the esses at HPR).

If you want to have some real fun, NASA is running the Outer Course at Miller on Jun 21-24. Jun 21 is just a T&T day, so nothing required. This 850 whp GT-R will be there for sure...go stomp him!
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The passing zone rules are for our safety as not all the drivers are as comfortable in a competitive situation as you or I.
It's not because 'you' aren't capable of passing in the corner, it's because the other guy might freak out and do something unpredictable and end up with contact between the cars.
(some of the guys in the advanced run group are nowhere near as capable as their cars, and shouldn't be in that group in the first place. -that's the ego problem I referred to. they sign up for that because they have a ZR1 or whatever, but they can't drive at the limit safely, just full blast on the straight.
Those are the guys that make passing zones necessary)

I also have been running with PCA, and after only 1 and a half events with them, they have graduated me to their 'black run group' (that is mainly instructors with fully prepped race cars)
The PCA black run group is un-restricted passing, and I see why you prefer that. (it's fun, and there's no hold-ups for anybody)
This does require that all the drivers are able to handle that type of driving and understand how to do that without crashing.
There are only a small few of the CECA regulars that I would feel comfortable with in a 'pass anywhere' format.
(some of the dudes that run kinda **** at driving. -inconsistent ugly line 'in the middle of the track type of thing' ,...or consistently lame)
......But again, we are not racing, just trying to have fun with our cars without getting arrested.
Hope to see you out there.

I can't (or won't) travel as far as MMP cuz I'm finally on the Hoosiers now and I don't trailer the car.
( also why I'm missing the Hastings event )

I know that's lame, but there are 5 tracks for me in Colorado, so I get enough variety and am content with that for now.

If you run the CECA event, take it easy on me, as I am only driving a 'street Viper'
-Pretty much, the only cars that I ever have to 'point by' are ACR dudes that can actually drive.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Allen, if you're going to be driving everywhere, its a good idea to keep a set of PSC's in the garage! Missed you out there today, it was great weather albeit a bit windy for most of the day.

OP
OP
A

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes,........... I do have a set of PSC scrubs on my old 10-spokes.
Before I leave town, I load them into my stupid minivan. That way, if I need them, I can call somebody to bring them up to wherever I am.
If it's still early in the day, I could finish the event,........ if not, at least I could get home.

5 track days so far this season, and I haven't been to HPR yet.
Have been running at PMP and PPIR. -Thinking about doing Saturday the 8th at PMP again as a lapping day.
Pueblo is the closest track for me so I will probably do more open lap days there now. (used to commute to HPR all the time for Friday afternoons)
Now that PMP is under new management (by somebody who is also a track rat), the roadcourse is open a lot more now than it ever was before.
HPR is 150 miles away, and PMP is only 60. (plus there is Taco Bell in Pueblo).

........no offense, but kinda glad to have missed the event.
My self esteem is great.....................until an ACR is on the track with me. It is unbelievable how fast those things are.

.......Maybe I need an ACR. -then the GT-Rs would have no hope!

Wonder where I could find one.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think I could bear it if my car went to a local guy...and I had to see her from time to time at the track with another date. ;) I hear they are building a new road course around PPIR too..that sounds interesting. Wonder when it will be ready for prime time?

OP
OP
A

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
....The PPIR roadcourse project is awaiting money.
something like a couple million I think.
The actual course is already cut in the hills as a dirt road and just needs money to lay asphalt and curbing. It is designed to be run in either direction.
I spoke with Paul Jensen (track manager) about it, and he was very forthcoming with info.
A select few have driven on it with trucks just to see, and tour it. It is not open to the public though.
If you look at the pictures in the main building, you can see it, and drool over how much fun it will be when completed.
Somebody like Bill Gates that needs to lose money on an investment for tax reasons is gonna have to happen. -or we'll never see the track paved.

:rolleyes:

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haha, I'm just kidding about that...the real reason is that I know I would have a very hard time beating that car if it were in the region competing against me! Too bad about the finances for the track, the rumors floated at HPR were a lot more positive. it sounds like another Genoa 'wishful thinking' project then...

OP
OP
A

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was 1 of 7 Vipers in attendance for the CECA date. There would have been 8, but the guy's car had a radiator issue right before the track day, and couldn't bring his Viper.
The 2 ACR-X cars were there. -they were the only cars I had to point by.
Those things are just unbelievable.
It's awesome to have so much Viper presence at a mixed car club event.

Corded my front tires on the last session :smirk:.................had a great day overall. :)

OP
OP
A

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen III and IV are the same radiator I think, so I will keep that in mind.
The absent Viper guy has a gen II though. 96 GTS.
This would've been his first day at the track with it. He said he's got a Ron Davis ordered.

If both you guys showed up with cars, that may have been a little over the top with the Viper dominance.
.....The 'other car' guys seemed a little freaked out at "so many Vipers".
Some of the hot shoes from PCA were there......They stepped down to the intermediate run group after being thrashed by Vipers in the morning.
I talked to them at lunch time. They did not feel comfortable with 'my ACR-X brothers' as they put it.
There were some Vipers in that group too though, so the PCA guys didn't have such a great day.