Gen V mules - Gen IV cars with Gen V body panels

MuscleJunkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
During testing of the Gen V, I remember seeing numerous spy shots of camo'd Gen IV cars that had Gen V body panels attached. Since the Gen V is now far past it's release, anyone at SRT can get ahold and share some pics of the mules that had partial Gen V panels (without camo)? Did the panels just bolt on or how difficult was it to get the GEN V panels on the Gen IV cars???

Green viper 1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think if you started from the frame up with gen v parts, I think you could make a gen iv a gen 5

OP
OP
MuscleJunkie

MuscleJunkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if you pull all the body panels off a Gen 3 or 4 coupe down to the rolling chassis the Gen 5 body panels should bolt on perhaps with some ????? changes or what?

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if you pull all the body panels off a Gen 3 or 4 coupe down to the rolling chassis the Gen 5 body panels should bolt on perhaps with some ????? changes or what?

I dont see why not. The front section of the frame has changes a bit but otherwise it's pretty much the same.

Green viper 1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It could be done but you would also have to change windshield hoop and rear trunk tub, you could also do the interior too,would probly cost the same as buying a new car though since there no used parts it's probly 15,000 just for the hood

OP
OP
MuscleJunkie

MuscleJunkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As the wrecks happen I'm sure piece by piece will become available. Wonder how long till we read a post titled Gen III or Gen IV Viper to Gen V Viper Conversion in progress - Pics Inside!

It only either time or money...............

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It could be done but you would also have to change windshield hoop and rear trunk tub, you could also do the interior too,would probly cost the same as buying a new car though since there no used parts it's probly 15,000 just for the hood
New CF hoods are only $3k now...

Green viper 1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In that example, I would agree. With the concept of this post I would have to disagree.
I agree with you it's not the same if you did a gen 4 it would almost be a gen 5 I found out today body panels are cheaper than gen4 parts a front bumper only cost 350 brand new when a gen 4 from dealer is like 1200

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are all the dimesions between a gen3/4 car really the same as a gen5? Like wheels base and track width to fit all the gen 5 stuff?

Green viper 1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's the same frame with completely different panels I want to the dealer and checked it out.

Mamba52

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have some side shots of the Gen3/4 and Gen5 with the body panels removed. The Gen 5 guys will not like what they see. Can't post the pics with my iPad. In the end there all Vipers!!!!

shine

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It may have been in Maurice's book that I read it, but the unveiling Gen V was actually a Gen IV with panels and interior. However, the company contracted to make it said it was a LOT of effort to convert it and make it look right. Not nearly as simple as just bolting on replacements. There was a lot of shaving, grinding, and re-welding of the frame and the panels themselves to make it all fit.

I don't think the production car shares much, if any, of the frame layout with the Gen III/IV, particularly when you get to the real details like posts and bolt locations.

Green viper 1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are correct the man in frame design and geometry of suspension is the same and you are right it would Take some work but it would be possible to do. I'm sure there will be some guys that will disagree that is not the same but it's close enough you could make it work

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think the production car shares much, if any, of the frame layout with the Gen III/IV, particularly when you get to the real details like posts and bolt locations.

Bingo. If you think you can buy Gen V body panels, pull off your Gen III/IV panels and just bolt the new stuff up, you are in for a long day. The chances of all frame to body mounting points either being there or even being close to the right spot to accept the new stuff is slim...I'd even wager a healthy amount that those chances are none.

Could it be done? With enough money, anything is possible. But it would cost a lot of money and require extensive fab work.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are correct the man in frame design and geometry of suspension is the same and you are right it would Take some work but it would be possible to do. I'm sure there will be some guys that will disagree that is not the same but it's close enough you could make it work

There is no way in hell it is even close. Not close enough that you could just buy all the panels and do it in a weekend at least.

Green viper 1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No you have to take it down to the main frame install new windshield hoop and new rear tub then roof then etc. probly would take 2 weeks

OP
OP
MuscleJunkie

MuscleJunkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have some side shots of the Gen3/4 and Gen5 with the body panels removed. The Gen 5 guys will not like what they see. Can't post the pics with my iPad. In the end there all Vipers!!!!

If you have iOS 6 you should. Anyway, would love to see pics.

OP
OP
MuscleJunkie

MuscleJunkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well surely someone with direct knowledge of the fact will be able to offer insight. It might be the case as Green Viper 1 alludes that it really might be not too difficult. My guess is someone will try it hopefully sooner rather than later. Again, it's only a matter of time or money.

Green viper 1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I could find a gen 4 for reasonable price that had been wrecked I would try it defiantly got me thinking

Green viper 1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've been checking out the frame it does have minor differences but not major enough to make this not possible. I'm sure bolt patterns are a little different but probly just in the front, but even there it's a gen 3/4 frame without carbon fiber inner fenders and brackets that the hood hinges bolt to. I actually thought the x brace bolted to the Frame on all four points but it actually bolts to the frame supports that the crossmember bolts to and the carbon fiber fire wall I would like to know how this stiffens frame since its not frame to frame?

Last edited:
OP
OP
MuscleJunkie

MuscleJunkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder how this car looked uncamo'd. Notice stock windshield hoop.
You must be registered for see images attach

Green viper 1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder how this car looked uncamo'd. Notice stock windshield hoop.
You must be registered for see images attach
The windshield hoop is completely different the roof mounts in different spot, I bet if you saw this car without camp you would see that they don't even come close to lining up. I think they did this to see if they could make the clamshell hood work with this frame, and they new they could use the rest of the frame with new rear tub and roof and windshield hoop

Mamba52

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The windshield hoop is completely different the roof mounts in different spot, I bet if you saw this car without camp you would see that they don't even come close to lining up. I think they did this to see if they could make the clamshell hood work with this frame, and they new they could use the rest of the frame with new rear tub and roof and windshield hoop

Windshield is the exact same as gen3/4 repeat the exact same.