Thread: Have to say the Gen5 has the BEST exhaust sound of all generation Vipers

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Default Have to say the Gen5 has the BEST exhaust sound of all generation Vipers

Have to say that I heard a Gen5 Viper in person and it is the best sounding exhaust tone of all the generations of Vipers. Very deep and rich sounding.

Viper Owner

Default Re: Have to say the Gen5 has the BEST exhaust sound of all generation Vipers

good to hear. was concerned about that & youtube vids audio is limited. not many exhaust mods available yet. hoping to keep it stock as I have heard good things about it in general. I remember the first time Jay Leno fired it up and his expression and question of the SRT reps about whether it was factory.

Viper Owner

Default Re: Have to say the Gen5 has the BEST exhaust sound of all generation Vipers

In stock form yes it sounds great compared to other gens.

Viper Owner

Generally good. But, if you are cruising at a restricted speed say, 45-50 MPH, 2000-2400 RPM, the "drone" is horrible. I have about a 30mi. trip on back roads, with no passing, that forces me into this situation and it is not fun. Ear plugs required. In all other situations it is fine. Allan

Viper Owner

Allan, is yours a SRT or a GTS? The drone from 2100-2400 is quite loud, much louder than any car I've had in the past. I wonder if the extra sound deadening in the GTS is there just to combat the drone in this range because at all other times the sound is perfect.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Allan, White Mamba 200/200 View Post
    Generally good. But, if you are cruising at a restricted speed say, 45-50 MPH, 2000-2400 RPM, the "drone" is horrible. I have about a 30mi. trip on back roads, with no passing, that forces me into this situation and it is not fun. Ear plugs required. In all other situations it is fine. Allan
    Can you not go one gear higher to lower revs just below 2000, or does that drop revs too low and cause lugging?

FrgMstr

Viper Owner

There is definitely some drone in that RPM range and its very loud at WOT. Reminds me of my Gen 2 when it had the Belanger headers and exhaust.

I think exhaust systems are hard to get right for all buyers. Personally I think SRT needs to offer a "touring" version (i.e., quieter) because a lot of buyers are going to get tired of the noise level. Either that or move to a switchable exhaust, with an additional silencer that can be opened or closed for more or less sound volume. Porsche offers one, though I think it's too quiet in the touring mode and probably not loud enough in the sport mode. (I left it in sport mode all the time, which was fine for me but too quiet for half the guys I talked to.)

Viper Owner

Building exhaust systems has to feel like trying to prepare oatmeal for a population of Goldilocks.

Enthusiast

Agree!!! It is the BEST sounding stock exhaust. It actually doesn't sound stock......and it has a little bit of decel popping as well....loving it!!!

Enthusiast

It will be interesting to hear the Corsa. Corsa has done an excellent job of minimizing drone on other cars, it may be that they succeed in reducing drone for the Gen V while making it louder than stock at WOT. We will know soon, they have a Viper that they're doing development work on now.

I'll reserve judgement until I get a chance to hear the music of my own Gen V

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by PilotaX View Post
    Building exhaust systems has to feel like trying to prepare oatmeal for a population of Goldilocks.
    yes.......all that r/d time and hard work, trying to make something cool,
    then have to listen to everybody complain about how bad it sucks. (oem or aftermarket)

Enthusiast

My Gen 5 exhaust sound is the best I've heard on any generation. My Gen 3 had a higher pitch and more drone than the Gen 5 does. The new engine sounds more like an exotic engine with a bigger bass note. In order of preference:

1. Gen 5
    2. Gen 4
    3. Gen 3
    99. Gen 1/2 (sorry guys, but I really dislike the note)

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Nine Ball View Post
    My Gen 5 exhaust sound is the best I've heard on any generation. My Gen 3 had a higher pitch and more drone than the Gen 5 does. The new engine sounds more like an exotic engine with a bigger bass note. In order of preference:

1. Gen 5
    2. Gen 4
    3. Gen 3
    99. Gen 1/2 (sorry guys, but I really dislike the note)
    Stock for stock, yes.
    But with an aftermarket exhaust on any of the previous GENs, I have to disagree. Throw on a ROE B&B on the GEN1 and it sounds exactly like a GEN5. When I first heard the GEN5 fire up and rev, I thought I was hearing my GEN1. And the RPM drone range is very low. But the 96' - 99' GEN2 with B&B has to be the best sounding V10 exhaust note ever at every range. I have not heard a better V10 sound, not even from Lambo.

Enthusiast

Stock for stock is what we are discussing. My cammed/supercharged Gen 3 with custom exhaust and Bellanger headers sounds better than any other Viper I've heard. But, modified isn't what we are talking about, some like louder, some like quieter, some like metallic/raspy, some like deep/smooth.

I've rarely heard any Gen 2 cars sound good. Most sound like a pair of 5-cylinder import cars squaring off. I realize some people love that sound, however.

Viper Owner

My gen v sounds amazing. I do get a little drone on long drives and have found myself shifting to 5th to get te rpm's up. I'm doing 3 road trips 3 weekends in a row starting on June 8th so I'll know soon if Corsa's drone free set up will make my Xmas list.

Viper Owner

dude upload some vids!!!!!

Viper Owner

I think my first mod will be the Corsa. I hope they get it wrapped up soon.

Viper Owner

i will take more videos this weekend. this is all i have now.

Viper Owner

here are some exhaust clips

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Allan, White Mamba 200/200 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Allan, is yours a SRT or a GTS? The drone from 2100-2400 is quite loud, much louder than any car I've had in the past. I wonder if the extra sound deadening in the GTS is there just to combat the drone in this range because at all other times the sound is perfect.
    I can't speak for the base model but the GTS has no drone and I think this "problem" is being overstated on the forums by a lot of people. The car does make noise but it's not an unpleasant sound. I found my GTS to be a bit on the quiet side when just cruising with the engine below 3K RPM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H. View Post
    Can you not go one gear higher to lower revs just below 2000, or does that drop revs too low and cause lugging?
    The car seems to be comfortable with engine speeds at or above 2K RPM and at that engine speed you'd be traveling 60-65 MPH in 5th gear. Going to 6th does seem to bog the engine at those speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by PilotaX View Post
    Then offer three different options- Touring, Sport, and Race.

Viper Owner

I personally want it as loud as possible.

Question: It is my understanding that the car has 5 different modes of driving; Is the exhaust note different in the various modes? For example, I'd expect Sport Mode to sound more aggressive than the normal one?

Enthusiast

as long as you have traction the engine output is the same, therefore, the sound should not differ.

Quote Originally Posted by Policy Limits View Post

Question: It is my understanding that the car has 5 different modes of driving; Is the exhaust note different in the various modes? For example, I'd expect Sport Mode to sound more aggressive than the normal one?

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Policy Limits View Post

i have not noticed a difference between the modes in regards to exhaust note

Enthusiast

Why is there drone in an OEM 100k car?

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by SRTviper View Post
    Why is there drone in an OEM 100k car?
    Because Race Car

Enthusiast

Because Race Car

DING DING DING!!!! Love it!!

Enthusiast

I've notied a slight drone on the highway running in 6th between 2-3K.....but it's not at all bothersome. In fact, I drove about 10 hours on the highway and never grew weary of it.....not an issue IMO. The car sounds awesome even in stock form. I would not sacrifice that over the minimal drone.

Enthusiast

Because Race Car
    I wouldn't really call it a race car. The ACR yea but not a GTS. I've never heard any OEM exhaust have drone on any sports car today (gt500, porsche, corvette, ferrari) you name it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast