Have to say the Gen5 has the BEST exhaust sound of all generation Vipers

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Generally good. But, if you are cruising at a restricted speed say, 45-50 MPH, 2000-2400 RPM, the "drone" is horrible. I have about a 30mi. trip on back roads, with no passing, that forces me into this situation and it is not fun. Ear plugs required. In all other situations it is fine. Allan

If it's a drone, it likely is a harmonic occuring inside the cabin. Due to the frequency of the exhaust, the cabin creats standing sound waves that reinforce themselves. It's like sitting inside a drum! This usually will occure at a specific exhaust frequency or frequencies and has little to do with the magnitude of the exhaust sound. As an experiment, set up the condition and then lower the windows about 2 inches. Does the drone continue? Then put the widows down all the way. Does the drone continue? If either experiment caused the drone to discontinue, then Team Viper's NVH engineer needs to get on the job. If neither experiment makes an impact, then the harmonic is being set up elsewhere. The cure is the same, Team Viper's NVH engineer needs to get on the job.

The drone condition has NOTHING to do with how loud the exhaust is. :2tu:

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One other point on drones, they can be caused by tire/road interface vibrations and by engine vibrations. The needed element is something that will vibrate in harmony with the initiating vibration. The part(s) acts like a tuning fork. Again, this is a different issue than exhaust noise violume or exhaust sound qualities. The NVH people need to get on top of this.:2tu:

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is referred to as drone is typically exhaust gas resonance. In general increasing/decreasing pipe length and/or increasing/decreasing pipe pressure drop will move the drone to a different rpm. The resonance is initiated by a separate physical and parallel trigger frequency. If that parallel trigger frequency does not exist at the new resonant point , the drone is totally gone. Both Borla and Corsa have made a living getting rid of the drone on all past vipers.

One other point on drones, they can be caused by tire/road interface vibrations and by engine vibrations. The needed element is something that will vibrate in harmony with the initiating vibration. The part(s) acts like a tuning fork. Again, this is a different issue than exhaust noise violume or exhaust sound qualities. The NVH people need to get on top of this.:2tu:

Last edited:

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is referred to as drone is typically exhaust gas rsonance. In general increasing/decreasing pipe length and/or increasing/decreasing pipe pressure drop will move the drone to a different rpm. The resonance is initiated by a separate physical and parallel trigger frequency. If that parallel trigger frequency does not exist at the new resonant point , the drone is totally gone. Both Borla and Corsa have made a living getting rid of the drone on all past vipers.

That's good to hear. I've used both Borla and Corsa in the past with excellent results. And I like that their exhausts are typically not on the loud end (at least on the vehicles I've installed them on), because Laguna Seca has dB limits that are easy to exceed with aftermarket exhausts. I'd hate to have to lift if I get an aftermarket exhaust, that would just plain ****. Luckily I don't plan on running headers or cat delete, so Corsa or Borla will probably work at Seca.

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's good to hear. I've used both Borla and Corsa in the past with excellent results. And I like that their exhausts are typically not on the loud end (at least on the vehicles I've installed them on), because Laguna Seca has dB limits that are easy to exceed with aftermarket exhausts. I'd hate to have to lift if I get an aftermarket exhaust, that would just plain ****. Luckily I don't plan on running headers or cat delete, so Corsa or Borla will probably work at Seca.

I don't understand. Why is there a sound limit to race a car on a track? Can someone please explain this?

Though I wouldn't mind to quiet down the exhaust though probably because I've never been in a car with the exhaust pipe right next to my ear. Maybe Corsa will make something that will quiet it down. The car literally sounds like a truck it makes all others seem tame. It could be though it seemed louder because I turned and reved the car when it was inside the dealership show room. Because in the above Brian Zuk video it doesn't sound so loud.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't understand. Why is there a sound limit to race a car on a track? Can someone please explain this?

Though I wouldn't mind to quiet down the exhaust though probably because I've never been in a car with the exhaust pipe right next to my ear. Maybe Corsa will make something that will quiet it down. The car literally sounds like a truck it makes all others seem tame. It could be though it seemed louder because I turned and reved the car when it was inside the dealership show room. Because in the above Brian Zuk video it doesn't sound so loud.

I know, it seems silly. Build an expensive track, it receives legendary status, and the damned neighborhood complains about the sound levels. That's my guess, unhappy neighbors somehow forced the dB limit at the track. None of the other tracks that are near me have this limit, just Laguna Seca.

My guess is the Corsa will be a little louder than stock, but probably with less drone, so overall should be an excellent exhaust. Time will tell, looking forward to hearing reports when they come out with it.

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is referred to as drone is typically exhaust gas rsonance. In general increasing/decreasing pipe length and/or increasing/decreasing pipe pressure drop will move the drone to a different rpm. The resonance is initiated by a separate physical and parallel trigger frequency. If that parallel trigger frequency does not exist at the new resonant point , the drone is totally gone. Both Borla and Corsa have made a living getting rid of the drone on all past vipers.

Facinating.

When I lived in Ohio, I claimed I could tell crossing into Penn by the way the tires created droning on the PA concrete!!!

Apparently the "Viper Drone" is in the Viper DNA and needs some gene therapy from Borla and Corsa!!! :2tu:

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to try a cat delete when the Mopar PCM is available. Replacing the cat with a small bullet muffler is the goal. A while back SRT indicated both the Gen IV and Gen V respond very nicely to the cat delete, a good example were the gains on the 2010 ACRX.

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have to agree. the stock exhaust sounds pretty darn good...lots of burbles at idle and decel