Have to say the Gen5 has the BEST exhaust sound of all generation Vipers

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have to say that I heard a Gen5 Viper in person and it is the best sounding exhaust tone of all the generations of Vipers. Very deep and rich sounding.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good to hear. was concerned about that & youtube vids audio is limited. not many exhaust mods available yet. hoping to keep it stock as I have heard good things about it in general. I remember the first time Jay Leno fired it up and his expression and question of the SRT reps about whether it was factory.

Reaction score
Generally good. But, if you are cruising at a restricted speed say, 45-50 MPH, 2000-2400 RPM, the "drone" is horrible. I have about a 30mi. trip on back roads, with no passing, that forces me into this situation and it is not fun. Ear plugs required. In all other situations it is fine. Allan

Voice of Reason

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Allan, is yours a SRT or a GTS? The drone from 2100-2400 is quite loud, much louder than any car I've had in the past. I wonder if the extra sound deadening in the GTS is there just to combat the drone in this range because at all other times the sound is perfect.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Generally good. But, if you are cruising at a restricted speed say, 45-50 MPH, 2000-2400 RPM, the "drone" is horrible. I have about a 30mi. trip on back roads, with no passing, that forces me into this situation and it is not fun. Ear plugs required. In all other situations it is fine. Allan
Can you not go one gear higher to lower revs just below 2000, or does that drop revs too low and cause lugging?

PilotaX

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There is definitely some drone in that RPM range and its very loud at WOT. Reminds me of my Gen 2 when it had the Belanger headers and exhaust.

I think exhaust systems are hard to get right for all buyers. Personally I think SRT needs to offer a "touring" version (i.e., quieter) because a lot of buyers are going to get tired of the noise level. Either that or move to a switchable exhaust, with an additional silencer that can be opened or closed for more or less sound volume. Porsche offers one, though I think it's too quiet in the touring mode and probably not loud enough in the sport mode. (I left it in sport mode all the time, which was fine for me but too quiet for half the guys I talked to.)

PilotaX

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Building exhaust systems has to feel like trying to prepare oatmeal for a population of Goldilocks.:)

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree!!! It is the BEST sounding stock exhaust. It actually doesn't sound stock......and it has a little bit of decel popping as well....loving it!!!

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will be interesting to hear the Corsa. Corsa has done an excellent job of minimizing drone on other cars, it may be that they succeed in reducing drone for the Gen V while making it louder than stock at WOT. We will know soon, they have a Viper that they're doing development work on now.

I'll reserve judgement until I get a chance to hear the music of my own Gen V :D

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Building exhaust systems has to feel like trying to prepare oatmeal for a population of Goldilocks.:)
yes.......all that r/d time and hard work, trying to make something cool,
then have to listen to everybody complain about how bad it *****. (oem or aftermarket)

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Gen 5 exhaust sound is the best I've heard on any generation. My Gen 3 had a higher pitch and more drone than the Gen 5 does. The new engine sounds more like an exotic engine with a bigger bass note. In order of preference:

1. Gen 5
2. Gen 4
3. Gen 3
99. Gen 1/2 (sorry guys, but I really dislike the note)

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My Gen 5 exhaust sound is the best I've heard on any generation. My Gen 3 had a higher pitch and more drone than the Gen 5 does. The new engine sounds more like an exotic engine with a bigger bass note. In order of preference:

1. Gen 5
2. Gen 4
3. Gen 3
99. Gen 1/2 (sorry guys, but I really dislike the note)

Stock for stock, yes.
But with an aftermarket exhaust on any of the previous GENs, I have to disagree. Throw on a ROE B&B on the GEN1 and it sounds exactly like a GEN5. When I first heard the GEN5 fire up and rev, I thought I was hearing my GEN1. And the RPM drone range is very low. But the 96' - 99' GEN2 with B&B has to be the best sounding V10 exhaust note ever at every range. I have not heard a better V10 sound, not even from Lambo.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock for stock is what we are discussing. My cammed/supercharged Gen 3 with custom exhaust and Bellanger headers sounds better than any other Viper I've heard. But, modified isn't what we are talking about, some like louder, some like quieter, some like metallic/raspy, some like deep/smooth.

I've rarely heard any Gen 2 cars sound good. Most sound like a pair of 5-cylinder import cars squaring off. I realize some people love that sound, however.

KB Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My gen v sounds amazing. I do get a little drone on long drives and have found myself shifting to 5th to get te rpm's up. I'm doing 3 road trips 3 weekends in a row starting on June 8th so I'll know soon if Corsa's drone free set up will make my Xmas list.

PilotaX

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think my first mod will be the Corsa. I hope they get it wrapped up soon.

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Allan, is yours a SRT or a GTS? The drone from 2100-2400 is quite loud, much louder than any car I've had in the past. I wonder if the extra sound deadening in the GTS is there just to combat the drone in this range because at all other times the sound is perfect.

I can't speak for the base model but the GTS has no drone and I think this "problem" is being overstated on the forums by a lot of people. The car does make noise but it's not an unpleasant sound. I found my GTS to be a bit on the quiet side when just cruising with the engine below 3K RPM.

Can you not go one gear higher to lower revs just below 2000, or does that drop revs too low and cause lugging?

The car seems to be comfortable with engine speeds at or above 2K RPM and at that engine speed you'd be traveling 60-65 MPH in 5th gear. Going to 6th does seem to bog the engine at those speeds.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally want it as loud as possible.

Question: It is my understanding that the car has 5 different modes of driving; Is the exhaust note different in the various modes? For example, I'd expect Sport Mode to sound more aggressive than the normal one?

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
as long as you have traction the engine output is the same, therefore, the sound should not differ.

Question: It is my understanding that the car has 5 different modes of driving; Is the exhaust note different in the various modes? For example, I'd expect Sport Mode to sound more aggressive than the normal one?

KB Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

i have not noticed a difference between the modes in regards to exhaust note

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've notied a slight drone on the highway running in 6th between 2-3K.....but it's not at all bothersome. In fact, I drove about 10 hours on the highway and never grew weary of it.....not an issue IMO. The car sounds awesome even in stock form. I would not sacrifice that over the minimal drone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadlick32