Thread: Paint Protection Film Recommendations and Prices

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 59
  1. #1
    Viper Owner
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    460

    Confused Paint Protection Film Recommendations and Prices

    Trying to get an idea of what the going rate is for having paint protection film (aka "clear bra") installed. My research has yielded several options:

    - Xpel Ultimate (10-year warranty; self-healing)
    - DuraShield+ (7-year warranty)
    - Avery Nano-Fusion (7-year warranty)
    - 3M VentureShield (5-year warranty; yellowing not covered by warranty)

    From the above list I think the Xpel product is the best of the bunch, but the quotes I've received for having it applied are all north of $3,000 and as high as $7,000 for non-custom work (meaning that they apply it from pre-cut "kits" rather than making minimal cuts as required to minimize seams). Seem like a bit much for what it is, but I guess since most of the people buying it are using it on expensive cars they feel like it's OK to fleece their customers.

    Now I'm sure that we might get a guy who sells this stuff chiming in and telling us how a ridiculously high price like that is "justifiable"...but here's what they never seem to mention:

    - You could have a damaged panel repainted for less, or if you purchase a paint warranty, for free.

    - Typical install is 6 hours, less if a pre-cut kit is used. If they charge you $3,000 to install a pre-cut kit and they take 4 hours you are paying them $750 an hour to apply a sheet of plastic to your car. Really?

    - The paint covering can be damaged by tree sap, bird poop and certain waxes/polishes, requiring it to be replaced. So after paying $5K plus to "protect" your car you need to worry about protecting the protection? GTFO!

    - Even the new films lose clarity over time, and become yellowish or cloudy. Long warranties do not ensure that the film will not degrade or discolor; only that they may replace the film if it does.

    - Who else charges $750-$1000 per hour for any type of service? DC lobbyists, Brain surgeons, Wall St Investment Consultants...and....uh...oh yea, that guy who uses windex and a squeegee to apply a piece of plastic film to your car.

  2. #2
    Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Tysons Corner, VA
    Posts
    2,918

    Default Re: Paint Protection Film Recommendations and Prices

    The higher end films aren't cheap. Look to spend $5,000 to get a car completely covered.

    Not quite $1000/hr for the pros, but they are in limited supply. Supply/demand issue.

  3. #3
    Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Greenwood Village, CO
    Posts
    2,248

    Default Re: Paint Protection Film Recommendations and Prices

    I have Venture Shield on all my cars. Cost around $750. Also have Clear Plex on windshield - $350 installed. I did have the Venture Shield replaced on my 07 white Saleen due to yellowing. It was done under warranty. $3-5K is ludicrous.

  4. #4
    Viper Owner
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    460

    Default Re: Paint Protection Film Recommendations and Prices

    Quote Originally Posted by ViperSmith View Post
    The higher end films aren't cheap. Look to spend $5,000 to get a car completely covered.

    Not quite $1000/hr for the pros, but they are in limited supply. Supply/demand issue.
    I've actually been quoted $7,500 for the full car with an estimated 7 hours time. They wash the car, clay bar it, then install the film. Sorry but I can't see the value in clear bra at that price, or even at $5,000. They quote prices for labor but they're also making a tidy profit on the film they sell you, and it's going to be around 50% since the markup on stuff like this is often up sky-high.

    I'd be speculating on this, but most places that install this stuff are also detailers/window tint shops and I'm fairly certain that paint protection is not their primary stream of revenue...so I can't fathom an overabundance of demand where people want to pay $5K plus to cover their car in plastic, or even $1,500 to do the front bumper. More like they get people who want paint protection once in a while, and when they do, they try to take them for a ride down rip-off lane.

    Quote Originally Posted by gbatejan View Post
    $3-5K is ludicrous.
    Yeah I think so too.

  5. #5
    Viper Owner
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    San Diego California
    Posts
    348

    Default Re: Paint Protection Film Recommendations and Prices

    i was quoted 2k to 2500 for the entire car to be covered in San diego. not sure what film type it was

  6. #6
    Viper Owner
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,372

    Default Re: Paint Protection Film Recommendations and Prices

    probably in the minority, but I've always gone naked

  7. #7
    Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Bay Area CA
    Age
    55
    Posts
    44

    Default Re: Paint Protection Film Recommendations and Prices

    Policy.....please DON'T post pics of that!

  8. #8
    Enthusiast

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    529

    Default Re: Paint Protection Film Recommendations and Prices

    Another member mentioned a paint warranty that any damage will be made perfect for far less than 3000 dollars

  9. #9
    Viper Owner
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Vacaville, California
    Posts
    1,523

    Default Re: Paint Protection Film Recommendations and Prices

    Quote Originally Posted by gbatejan View Post
    I have Venture Shield on all my cars. Cost around $750. Also have Clear Plex on windshield - $350 installed. I did have the Venture Shield replaced on my 07 white Saleen due to yellowing. It was done under warranty. $3-5K is ludicrous.
    Can you tell us more about the Clear Plex for the windshield? Can you use it on a daily driver, do the windshield wipers scratch it, etc. Love to put it on the wife's new car since it has an expensive heated windshield and would like to protect it from stone chips and pitting.

    To PeerBlock, regarding clear bras, almost all the top name brands are very good, 90% of your success is the installer doing the job. Definitely pop for a custom front end and complete hood coverage, you can get away with partial front fenders. With the new hood shape of the Gen 5, I don't know if there is a clear bra big enough to cover without seams, but a good installer can do it in a way that will minimize the visual evidence. I know that on wife's Range Rover, a custom front end, complete one piece hood, partial front fenders, door handle concave, door edges, leading edge of the roof above the windshield, complete rear wrap around the back bumper area, mirrors, headlights and rear lower quarter panels was around $2700.00. You can save over $1k by doing the pre-cut front, partial hood, but the first time a bird craps on the back half of your hood you'll remember my words.....do the complete hood!!

    Cheers,
    George

  10. #10
    Viper Owner
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    460

    Default Re: Paint Protection Film Recommendations and Prices

    Quote Originally Posted by SRTviper View Post
    Another member mentioned a paint warranty that any damage will be made perfect for far less than 3000 dollars
    Yeah, I got that warranty too and it's good for 7 years. I thought it would be nice to avoid damage in the first place by getting the film but there's no way in hell I'm forking out $5K for fancy saran wrap. lol

  11. #11
    Enthusiast

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    529

    Default Re: Paint Protection Film Recommendations and Prices

    That seems high to me. I was quoted 3200 for dork ultimate for my entire shelby. The viper is way smaller so it should be less

  12. #12
    Viper Owner
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    890

    Default Re: Paint Protection Film Recommendations and Prices

    I had xpel (not ultimate) put on my car 3 1/2 years ago and it needs redone. I have taken some pretty good hits that marred the film on the front bumper plus the film that was used gets scuffs easily on the side sills. I have white stripes and the film is starting to yellow as well.

    To remove everything which is bumper, headlights, fog lights, partial hood, front fenders, side sills and piece behind rear wheels and replace with xpel ultimate I was quoted $1750. I paid $1350 originally to have this installed.

    I have an appointment I made yesterday for next Tuesday and still wondering if I want to pull the old off, detail and roll without any.

    The guy who is supposed to do the work is highly recommended and does super high end including a couple bugattis plus lambos, ferraris, bentleys and is at the top of his game, but still, damn that's a lot of $$$ lol.

  13. #13
    Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Tysons Corner, VA
    Posts
    2,918

    Default Re: Paint Protection Film Recommendations and Prices

    Quote Originally Posted by PeerBlock View Post
    I've actually been quoted $7,500 for the full car with an estimated 7 hours time. They wash the car, clay bar it, then install the film. Sorry but I can't see the value in clear bra at that price, or even at $5,000. They quote prices for labor but they're also making a tidy profit on the film they sell you, and it's going to be around 50% since the markup on stuff like this is often up sky-high.

    I'd be speculating on this, but most places that install this stuff are also detailers/window tint shops and I'm fairly certain that paint protection is not their primary stream of revenue...so I can't fathom an overabundance of demand where people want to pay $5K plus to cover their car in plastic, or even $1,500 to do the front bumper. More like they get people who want paint protection once in a while, and when they do, they try to take them for a ride down rip-off lane.



    Yeah I think so too.
    You paid $15000 for a paint job and want to gripe over 5k to protect it?

    lmao

    Get real.

  14. #14
    Viper Owner
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    460

    Default Re: Paint Protection Film Recommendations and Prices

    Quote Originally Posted by ViperSmith View Post
    You paid $15000 for a paint job and want to gripe over 5k to protect it?

    lmao

    Get real.
    Faulty logic. Just because item (a) had a high cost does not somehow elevate the value of item (b).

    It's plastic. It's not worth $1,000 per hour or $500 per square foot...and whether or not the plastic protects it is debatable.

  15. #15
    Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    5,996

    Default Re: Paint Protection Film Recommendations and Prices

    ^^^^ correct.
    Some of these quoted prices are ludicrous. What is this cardiac surgery or applying plastic on a car?
    At MOST 2500.00 for the whole car (which I wouldn't do) and that is high.
    More than that is just price gouging because you have a higher end value car.
    Seriously, materials are inexpensive in bulk and paying someone 1000.00 an hour lol.
    And make damn sure they do a good job prepping the paint.
    Any swirls or imperfections will be visible and untouchable for a long time most likely, that's why I never do the whole hood or parts unlikely to be chipped. I like to be able to machine buff the paint and wax it when needed.

  16. #16
    Viper Owner
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Great State of Texas
    Posts
    483

    Default Re: Paint Protection Film Recommendations and Prices

    Quote Originally Posted by PeerBlock View Post
    Trying to get an idea of what the going rate is for having paint protection film (aka "clear bra") installed. My research has yielded several options:

    - Xpel Ultimate (10-year warranty; self-healing)
    - DuraShield+ (7-year warranty)
    - Avery Nano-Fusion (7-year warranty)
    - 3M VentureShield (5-year warranty; yellowing not covered by warranty)

    From the above list I think the Xpel product is the best of the bunch, but the quotes I've received for having it applied are all north of $3,000 and as high as $7,000 for non-custom work (meaning that they apply it from pre-cut "kits" rather than making minimal cuts as required to minimize seams). Seem like a bit much for what it is, but I guess since most of the people buying it are using it on expensive cars they feel like it's OK to fleece their customers.

    Now I'm sure that we might get a guy who sells this stuff chiming in and telling us how a ridiculously high price like that is "justifiable"...but here's what they never seem to mention:

    - You could have a damaged panel repainted for less, or if you purchase a paint warranty, for free.

    - Typical install is 6 hours, less if a pre-cut kit is used. If they charge you $3,000 to install a pre-cut kit and they take 4 hours you are paying them $750 an hour to apply a sheet of plastic to your car. Really?

    - The paint covering can be damaged by tree sap, bird poop and certain waxes/polishes, requiring it to be replaced. So after paying $5K plus to "protect" your car you need to worry about protecting the protection? GTFO!

    - Even the new films lose clarity over time, and become yellowish or cloudy. Long warranties do not ensure that the film will not degrade or discolor; only that they may replace the film if it does.

    - Who else charges $750-$1000 per hour for any type of service? DC lobbyists, Brain surgeons, Wall St Investment Consultants...and....uh...oh yea, that guy who uses windex and a squeegee to apply a piece of plastic film to your car.
    My god. I have been in this industry for 12 years now and those prices are CRAZY! I normally charge around $3000 for a full vehicle wrap with either Xpel Ultimate or Suntek. Either of those films are great... I wouldn't waste your time with another brand. Both are self healing and very smooth. I used to install Ventureshield but bugs can damage it easily. Avery Nano Fusion was a great film until about a year ago. The new line isn't that smooth and it seems to tear easily. 3M has always been a poor film for many reasons.

    Not sure what else to tell you except your shop is so overpriced I am surprised they can stay in business. Also the new films do not yellow or fade. Most of the yellowing issues were due to the adhesives they were using (which have been improved) or the films having a chemical reaction to synthetic waxes (naptha based). Both films I listed are resistant to chemicals and have held up very well.

  17. #17
    Viper Owner
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,279

    Default Re: Paint Protection Film Recommendations and Prices

    Out of all the films named, have you seen them installed on a vehicle? I've seen some films installed, that make the paint look like it has heavy orange peel, and makes your car look like it has been repainted. On my Gallardo, the clear bra was undetectable, as the finish was as smooth as the factory paint job, but the previous owner installed it, so I have no idea who did it, or what the film is.

    Also, many people will say that Premier is the best in the industry (and based on the photos and process work I have seen posted online, I would be hard pressed to say otherwise). There should be no way to tell the car has been clear bra'd after they are finished. They wrap all edges, and no lines are visible, even around badges. Take a look at their work on the website, and on other forums for reviews. They are mobile also.

    http://www.premiermobilegroup.com/

  18. #18
    Enthusiast

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    529

    Default Re: Paint Protection Film Recommendations and Prices

    Quote Originally Posted by texas_venom View Post
    My god. I have been in this industry for 12 years now and those prices are CRAZY! I normally charge around $3000 for a full vehicle wrap with either Xpel Ultimate or Suntek. Either of those films are great... I wouldn't waste your time with another brand. Both are self healing and very smooth. I used to install Ventureshield but bugs can damage it easily. Avery Nano Fusion was a great film until about a year ago. The new line isn't that smooth and it seems to tear easily. 3M has always been a poor film for many reasons.

    Not sure what else to tell you except your shop is so overpriced I am surprised they can stay in business. Also the new films do not yellow or fade. Most of the yellowing issues were due to the adhesives they were using (which have been improved) or the films having a chemical reaction to synthetic waxes (naptha based). Both films I listed are resistant to chemicals and have held up very well.
    3k I think is very resonable for a full vehicle wrap in xpel ultimate. I may be able to do better since by the time I get this car my detail guy will be a certified xpel film installer but yea I plan on wrapping the ENTIRE viper.

  19. #19
    Viper Owner
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Vacaville, California
    Posts
    1,523

    Default Re: Paint Protection Film Recommendations and Prices

    Quote Originally Posted by HyperViper View Post
    I had xpel (not ultimate) put on my car 3 1/2 years ago and it needs redone. I have taken some pretty good hits that marred the film on the front bumper plus the film that was used gets scuffs easily on the side sills. I have white stripes and the film is starting to yellow as well.

    To remove everything which is bumper, headlights, fog lights, partial hood, front fenders, side sills and piece behind rear wheels and replace with xpel ultimate I was quoted $1750. I paid $1350 originally to have this installed.

    I have an appointment I made yesterday for next Tuesday and still wondering if I want to pull the old off, detail and roll without any.

    The guy who is supposed to do the work is highly recommended and does super high end including a couple bugattis plus lambos, ferraris, bentleys and is at the top of his game, but still, damn that's a lot of $$$ lol.
    If the guy is Evan from Auto Armor, use him. He did my Viper when he was in Norcal but has sinced moved to Socal. $1750 for a quality install is cheap. Since he was not near me I used Premier for the wife's ML550 and now her Rangie. They are on the higher end of cost, but both installations had no flaws, etc. I've been to a lot of car shows and Viper meetings where you can see cars with clear bra that have some lifting, flaws, etc. I just don't have the time to take a car back to an installer because I wanted to save $300.00. (not to mention the aggravation).

    Spend the extra money and do the entire hood,.....lots of rocks and debris come over the top and hit the hood on back half, especially if you track the car and others are running sticky tires.

    Cheers,
    George

  20. #20
    Viper Owner
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    890

    Default Re: Paint Protection Film Recommendations and Prices

    Wow, you are good. Yep it is Evan

  21. #21
    Viper Owner
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Vacaville, California
    Posts
    1,523

    Default Re: Paint Protection Film Recommendations and Prices

    Quote Originally Posted by HyperViper View Post
    Wow, you are good. Yep it is Evan
    He has wrapped just about all the Veyrons in SoCal

    Tell him George said hi.

    Cheers,
    George

  22. #22
    VCA Member
    Midsouth

    3whitevipers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sarasota, Fl
    Posts
    647

    Default Re: Paint Protection Film Recommendations and Prices

    Have you guys looked into the new spray coating available at the auto stores? I just saw the stuff advertised on TV. Apparently you spray it on any area you want to protect and peal it off later. It's a clear coating. Might be the ticket for track days or for long trips. I've not seen it yet--just the advert.--Dave
    2005 Comm. Ed Conv, 2010 Coupe,2016 ACR Extreme

  23. #23
    Viper Owner
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Morton, IL
    Posts
    198

    Default Re: Paint Protection Film Recommendations and Prices

    Last week I ordered a 3' x 2' piece of Xpel Ultimate with the intention of of using it on the door sills. I just finished the install this afternoon and I must say it was a huge success! When I picked up the car I immediately had the aluminum VIPER door sill plates installed (GTS has these stock but SRT does not), but even with that I knew my 6 year old son and wife would eventually tear up the rest of the exposed door sill by accidentally dragging their feet getting in or out. You can buy Xpel Ultimate by the foot and the 3' width is perfect for our doors. They actually sent me a 3' x 3' piece so with the extra I'm going to see if I have enough to put some behind the rear wheels.

    The install could not have been easier. It's as smooth as everyone says it is and does not look at all like orange peel like I've seen in other products. I spent probably 2 hours total measuring and cutting the template to make sure everything was going to fit well and then the actual application took 20 min per side. There are no weird curves to deal with so I think anyone who takes their time could do this. This is in sharp contrast to when I tried to install 3m VentureShield on my G8's front bumper and mirrors. THAT was a nightmare with all the curves and it only resulted in an expensive wadded up piece of plastic.

    In total I spent about $75 and it was definitely worth it. I'll be paying someone to do the front bumper and partial hood and fenders because those would take significantly more work.

    I now have 2 templates (the backing paper from the film) that if anyone wants to try this install themselves PM me your address and I'll mail one to you (so I can help 2 people total). That should cut your install time by at least an hour.

  24. #24
    Viper Owner
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    890

    Default Re: Paint Protection Film Recommendations and Prices

    Quote Originally Posted by TrackAire View Post
    He has wrapped just about all the Veyrons in SoCal

    Tell him George said hi.

    Cheers,
    George
    Right on George. Will do

  25. #25
    Viper Owner
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Kings Park, NY
    Posts
    427

    Default Re: Paint Protection Film Recommendations and Prices

    Quote Originally Posted by 2whitevipers View Post
    Have you guys looked into the new spray coating available at the auto stores? I just saw the stuff advertised on TV. Apparently you spray it on any area you want to protect and peal it off later. It's a clear coating. Might be the ticket for track days or for long trips. I've not seen it yet--just the advert.--Dave
    I saw this advertised on Speed Channel last night (the tail end of the advertisement). It's called 3M Paint Defender. I am curious to find some reviews on it from people who have used the product. As quoted from the 3M website : "3M™ Paint Defender Spray Film sprays on anywhere on the car’s paint and dries to a clear, durable film for virtually invisible protection. This clear film defends against a range of elements, including love bugs and other airborne insects; gravel, sand and grit in warm-weather climates; winter road grime in cold-weather conditions; and rocks and other paint chip-causing road debris anywhere." Anyone else hear of this new stuff from 3M?

  26. #26
    Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    536

    Default Re: Paint Protection Film Recommendations and Prices

    Quote Originally Posted by gbatejan View Post
    I have Ventureshield on all my cars. Cost around $750. Also have Clear Plex on windshield - $350 installed. I did have the Venture Shield replaced on my 07 white Saleen due to yellowing. It was done under warranty. $3-5K is ludicrous.
    +1 Venture Shield is good. I have a 2008 GTS Blue Coupe, a carbon black BMW and Gunmetal Mercedes and all of them have Ventureshieild with no problems. Note: these colors would not show any yellowing since they are not white, etc.

    The price for the pre-cut kit installed by a good installer should be around $600--$800. I also did full fenders, rocker panels, and behind front and rear wheels. The kit on the middle of the hood looked fine. My cost was probably still under $1000 and my installer is GOOD. I would not wrap the entire car.

    On the BMW I did partial hood and then had to go full hood ($400) due to the color--the seam really showed on carbon black.

    Good luck.

  27. #27
    Viper Owner
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    890

    Default Re: Paint Protection Film Recommendations and Prices

    OK, I am rethinking this whole paint protection thing. I pulled the film off one of my mirrors and man is it yellow. Good thing my car is black, but I will say one mirror is blacker than the other now. The one with the xpel on it isn't as black. I am going to call the original installer and the person I had picked to do the reinstall and see what they say and probably the manufacturer as well. Maybe I am being too picky and reinstallation every 10,000 miles is normal.

  28. #28
    Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    1,318

    Default Re: Paint Protection Film Recommendations and Prices

    Yikes, reinstallation every 10,000 miles, at $3k or more a pop? I will be putting about 5k to 7k miles on it annually. That adds up quick, if that's the case.

  29. #29
    Viper Owner
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    890

    Default Re: Paint Protection Film Recommendations and Prices

    Ok, I just talked with Evan to cancel my appointment on Tuesday. He said the OLD film would yellow but it had a 5 year warranty. He and I are both going to call Xpel tomorrow and see if they can help out.

    The new Xpel ultimate has a 10 year warranty.

  30. #30
    Viper Owner
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    460

    Default Re: Paint Protection Film Recommendations and Prices

    I'm not convinced that the longer warranty indicates a longer-lasting product. Someone else also mentioned a good point, that is parts of the car that are not covered with clear bra may "wear" at a different rate than those that are. Seems like an overpriced hassle to me.

    You can save yourself thousands of dollars and ask if your dealer has "simoniz glasscoat". While it's highly unlikely that the glasscoat chemical will last more than a few months, the warranty you get along with glasscoat is good for 7 years...so you can essentially buy a 7 year warranty for your car's paint (if you buy this at the time of vehicle purchase) for whatever price you manage to negotiate with a dealer. Usually they offer glasscoat at $800-$1000 but you can talk them down to $500-$600, maybe even less - my guess is that it's a 80-90% markup product.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. protection film
    By loudog1001 in forum RT/10 and GTS Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-13-2011, 04:18 PM
  2. Looking to get 3M Paint Protection film, or similar. Any good NJ/PA installers?
    By TAXIMAN1 in forum SRT10 and SRT10 Coupe Discussions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-21-2008, 07:10 PM
  3. 3M Paint Protection Film
    By CitySnake in forum Viper Detailing Tips & Tricks
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-02-2008, 01:11 PM
  4. More info on paint protection film: some shrink/some don't
    By FASTRNU in forum SRT10 and SRT10 Coupe Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-25-2003, 08:46 PM
  5. 3M Paint Protection Film
    By BlueCrotalus in forum RT/10 and GTS Discussions
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-30-2003, 01:10 AM
Tags for this Thread

View Tag Cloud

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts