Throwing codes P0455 and P0442 after A&C SCT Tune installed . Evap codes ---

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am throwing codes P0455 and P0442 after I had my A&C SCT Tune installed (which could totally be a coincidence).

These are Evap System Codes ... "big leak" .

I have a locking gas cap , but I had that before the tune with no issues.

I was told to replace the gas cap first , for the quick easy fix.

I guess its possible my cap went bad after 6 months , but I am not too sure on this.

I am about to go buy a replacement gas cap this week.

If the gas cap doesn't work , what should I look at next?

The foam around the system under the passenger side "speaker vent" is all tweaked out and not making a seal ... but it looks pretty loose anyway. Could that be an issue? Isnt that the Evap System in that area?

Should I re-load the stock tune, and see if the tune is my issue? I would hate to drive around for 40 miles for the system to reset itself on a stock tune though.

I can clear them out, but once I hit that reset mileage it always comes back on.

I was told these codes will NOT affect my performance, but it ***** driving around with a check engine light on.

Thanks for the tips and help ! :) ---

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess that will be my next step , I haven't tried it yet.

I would hate to drive around for 40 miles for the system to reset itself on a stock tune though.

I don't have major mods, do you think I will have issues on a stock tune?

(1.7 roller rockers, high flow cats, 3" corsa exhaust, Hennessey air intake) ---

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not return the car to the stock tune, then tune should have no effect on the evap system. I believe you can turn off the Evap stuff with the SCT, but it may give you issues in your area if emissions checks are required. The evap system will never read "Ready" status if it's turned off via the SCT.

ACPERFORMANCE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nate,

I've posed this to SCT and they seemingly could not answer it as it's almost possible to get an answer sometimes. Even though we could turn it off in the software (which in your PCM code actually does not turn it off anyhow because SCT makes it "look" as if it's there but it is actually a "dead cell", it wouldn't help your readiness status. I thought of a few avenues for this and feel I may have a fix for you if it's tune related in the backround software of the SCT.

I'll give you a call tomorrow and advise my thoughts on a solution.

Todd
951-816-9111 cell

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Todd, I got your message and sent you a detailed email of the situation.

Thanks for the AWESOME customer service.

I appreciate your advice too Speed ... I actually erased the codes then drove around 30-40 miles, and luckily everything turned "ready" except the evap system , and in Missouri you are ok to have 1 system "not ready" (so I passed).

50 yards away from the shop the Evap system turned "ready" and threw the codes again LOL ... lucky for me it was just good timing.

I still need to get this fixed, it ***** riding around with a CEL on ... but now I don't feel rushed to do it luckily!!! ---

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK UPDATE:

I purchased a new gas cap ... codes thrown still.

I put the stock tune back on , codes thrown still.

It must have been a coincidence that it happened after the tune was installed.

It may have happened when the 1.7 H.Sharp Roller Rockers were installed or the Hennessey Air Intake? Those two things were the only things installed with the tune when I started throwing the codes.

Is there something around the valve covers or the intake that could have been bumped or a hose split?

Im looking into getting the Evap System tuned out since it wont affect any performance ... and I can have 1 system "not ready" and still pass emissions here.

I just want the Check Engine light to stop popping up every 20-30 miles LOL.

If I should head to the dealer and just get it fixed ... that's an option too.

If someone can let me know where to look, or any advice on what to do next ... it would help me a lot ... THANKS! :) ---

Tagoo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Always,
You are not alone, I had an issue like this too with my '00 GTs. I ordered my SCT from Roe and got the "canned" tunes from him. I got a couple of evap codes - i can't remember which, but one was for a purge valve. Error codes would not return if i cleared them and then reloaded the stock tune. I called Sean Roe and he asked me for my ECU serial number, then sent me some updated tunes. Problem was fixed.

A year or so later i did some head/cam changes. I used Chris at DC to tune the car. I was on a dyno. he was on the phone, logs and tune files were being emailed back and forth. After his first tune, i got the same error codes i'd gotten a year earlier. I brought to his attention and told him what Sean had done. He said no problem and sent new tunes that fixed the problem.

I don't know if either Sean or Chris actually fixed the problem or just permanently turned off the error code. However, because Sean asked for the ecu serial number, i suspect that it was the former. Either way, I've had no CELs for 2 or 3 years. My car passes local emissions test too.

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Tagoo ... I am waiting to hear back from Todd @ A&C and see what he thinks of the issue. I appreciate your advice :) ---

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper