Thread: do tpms need to be dealer programmed??

Reply to Thread
    Enthusiast

Default do tpms need to be dealer programmed??

Hi Guys Im switching up my looks and got a new set of custom wheels, installer wants to swap my sensors over. Can I just buy a new set and install or does the dealer have to program these to the car?? Thanks.. Ps if anyone wants a perfect set of forgeline zx3p's pm me!!

VCA Member
    Virginia / Maryland

Default Re: do tpms need to be dealer programmed??

I seem to remember Gen IIIs have to be done at the dealer. I think Gen IVs can be done with the TPMS tool
    2008 Viper Coupe
    Previous Rides: 2006 Red Paxton Coupe,
    2006 Blue/Silver Coupe, 2003 Black Paxton Vert

Enthusiast

Hmm, thats interesting i was going to pm you. I figured if anyone knew it was you!!! Thanks bro. Looks like I may just swap them over then. any idea on the life span of them?

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutHank View Post
    I seem to remember Gen IIIs have to be done at the dealer. I think Gen IVs can be done with the TPMS tool
    You need a DRB to program Gen 3 and 4 TPM sensors

Enthusiast

whats a drb?

Viper Owner

DRB3 is a chystler scan tool

Viper Owner

About 3g for this tool, bartec makes tpms scan tools, but unfortunately none work for the Vipers. This is completely idiotic
    Or you couls remove your sensors from your old wheels, and install them in your new wheels. This would work.

Viper Owner

About $100 from the Dealer for a reprogram.

Viper Owner

Check out Custom Programmed Tire Pressure Sensors from Viper Speciality Performance. I had the local Dodge dealership read my existing TPMS codes (they did it for free by the way) and sent the codes to Viper Speciality Performance. They "cloned" my existing sensors and I mounted the new sensors in an extra set of wheels. I can switch out wheels without having to reprogram any sensors and without having any dash lights coming on. Works great.

Everyone says that gen 3 needs programmed at dealer, but I but bought some on eBay for my new wheels and had the new wheels and tires mounted and within one mile the light went out so I went to dealer anyways and they said they were fine didn't need programmed so is it possible that it learns new sensors on there own ?

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by defelix View Post
    Check out Custom Programmed Tire Pressure Sensors from Viper Speciality Performance. I had the local Dodge dealership read my existing TPMS codes (they did it for free by the way) and sent the codes to Viper Speciality Performance. They "cloned" my existing sensors and I mounted the new sensors in an extra set of wheels. I can switch out wheels without having to reprogram any sensors and without having any dash lights coming on. Works great.
    That sounds like an option, what did they cost you??

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Green viper 1 View Post
    Everyone says that gen 3 needs programmed at dealer, but I but bought some on eBay for my new wheels and had the new wheels and tires mounted and within one mile the light went out so I went to dealer anyways and they said they were fine didn't need programmed so is it possible that it learns new sensors on there own ?
    This sounds even better, do you have a link to where you got them?

[QUOTE=1bad540;3188670]This sounds even better, do you have a link to where you got them?[/QUOTE
    They were just a used set that I bought from LQK for 75 dollars they are awsome no problems. I thought I would need to get them programmed but they did it on there own maybe if they are new is the only time they need to be programmed

Enthusiast

By chance they prob had the correct hrz?? Thats great tho. i may just swap mine over.

I may have just got lucky maybe I should play the lottery

Viper Owner

I think the "cloned" TPMS sensors were about $63.00 each. I have a 2008 Gen IV and was told the sensors need to match the codes in the car to be able to switch wheels back and forth without having to have the dealer reprogram the car each time the wheels were switched.

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by defelix View Post
    Thanks for the plug!

We can take the codes from your TPMS computer, OR, if you have your old sensors in hand, you can simply send them to us and we can copy/return them. I recommend making a note of which sensor came from which corner if doing it this way, but its not 100% needed- the only potential problem is that IF you have an issue, figuring out which sensor is causing the problem cannot be done as easily.

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Green viper 1 View Post
    This is EXTREMELY rare. I have heard of it, but I have never, ever seen it actually occur, and I have never had one of these cars on a scanner to actually confirm that they are functioning as they should. There is no way that any of these Gen-3/4 cars can ascertain which sensor is in which corner or even know which sensor set is for the vehicle until programmed to recognize. The cars that "self learn" have FOUR receiver modules, one for each wheel- and that is how they can tell what is what. The Viper only has a single receiver.

Enthusiast

Dan what would a set run me? 03 srt10?

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad540 View Post
    Dan what would a set run me? 03 srt10?
    Sensors are 62.49 each, and in stock.