3m or XPEL Clear Bra ?

Elohim1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sure this has been discussed. I searched on this forum and could not find alot of input.
I have people that use XPel or 3M around my area.

I am seeing from a Google search that XPEL is a better coating.

1) Is this your guys opinion for the viper?

2) Is it necessary to do the front bumper ? It would seem this is the most prone to get knicked , but mine is not, maybe due to the material?

Rockers have some slight rash , so I will do them for sure.

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3M is a terrible film. I never recommend that product. Xpel is pretty good and is self healing. Of all the films I have tested Suntek is the best film out there for many reasons. More smooth than Xpel, he self healing top coat is much better, and the film is easier to remove (if needed)... not leaving behind any adhesive like 3M and Xpel does.

OP
OP
E

Elohim1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found a person locally who uses Avery Nano fusion Too.

This seems to be better than the ones mentioned and comes with a lifetime warranty.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3M is a terrible film. I never recommend that product. Xpel is pretty good and is self healing. Of all the films I have tested Suntek is the best film out there for many reasons. More smooth than Xpel, he self healing top coat is much better, and the film is easier to remove (if needed)... not leaving behind any adhesive like 3M and Xpel does.

Why do you say that 3M is bad? Are you an installer with experience working with 3M clear bra's, or any other film? If so, how many years experience do you have? Website?

hyph

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why do you say that 3M is bad? Are you an installer with experience working with 3M clear bra's, or any other film? If so, how many years experience do you have? Website?

Texas Venom (Thom) just did an install on a CTS for me. His work is superb and he is a all around good guy. I'm going to have him do my Viper as soon as I get it back.

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been installing film for 12 years now. I test all the films that come out and go with the films I find to be the best. 3M has never been one of those because: the film has a LOT of orange peel to it (looks terrible), uses acrylic for a top coat which will crack after years of exposure to the heat, has too strong of an adhesive (so when the film is removed the adhesive stays with the paint), and it is very difficult to get anyone at 3M to warranty the product. Xpel is a good film but I honestly prefer the Suntek film as it has a better self healing top coat (scratches and bug etchings heal themselves when parked in the sun) and it is perfectly smooth making it less noticeable. I used to install Avery Nano Fusion but they stopped production of the film a little over a year ago. It was down for 8 months and the new film is nothing like the original. It now has a lot of texture to it and it doesn't seem to hold up well to bugs. Its a shame as the original film was excellent. I have a website so if you want it just send me a PM.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been installing film for 12 years now. I test all the films that come out and go with the films I find to be the best. 3M has never been one of those because: the film has a LOT of orange peel to it (looks terrible), uses acrylic for a top coat which will crack after years of exposure to the heat, has too strong of an adhesive (so when the film is removed the adhesive stays with the paint), and it is very difficult to get anyone at 3M to warranty the product. Xpel is a good film but I honestly prefer the Suntek film as it has a better self healing top coat (scratches and bug etchings heal themselves when parked in the sun) and it is perfectly smooth making it less noticeable. I used to install Avery Nano Fusion but they stopped production of the film a little over a year ago. It was down for 8 months and the new film is nothing like the original. It now has a lot of texture to it and it doesn't seem to hold up well to bugs. Its a shame as the original film was excellent. I have a website so if you want it just send me a PM.

Thank you for posting your background. I like to know where a guy is coming from when he has a strong opinion that sounds as if he is part of the industry. It definitely adds weight to your opinion. :)

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure. I always try and help. There have been a lot of people over the years with bad experiences mainly because there are so many different films out there (some really good some really bad) and the level of installers experience varies greatly. So I try and help people out when it comes to the industry because I truly believe in the product. I had over 22,000 miles on my 2004 Viper without a chip on it... so it does work.

By the way I see you on a few forums and you have quiet the reputation. Keep up the good work.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For us non-experts in clear film, we tend to hear 3M is the standard. It is good to hear from industry experts, the guys that have to work and warranty the stuff. I recently had my Gen5 done, and the installer also said that 3M is not nearly his favorite. He used a brand called Avery, it is smoother (less orange peel) than the 3M on my CTS-V.

Tony

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Elohim1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For us non-experts in clear film, we tend to hear 3M is the standard. It is good to hear from industry experts, the guys that have to work and warranty the stuff. I recently had my Gen5 done, and the installer also said that 3M is not nearly his favorite. He used a brand called Avery, it is smoother (less orange peel) than the 3M on my CTS-V.

Tony

That is the Avery Nano fusion with lifetime warranty.

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like I said Avery Nano Fusion used to be a great film. But since they restarted the line for some reason it isn't anything like it was. I have to install it as part of a contract with Tesla motors... so I see it all the time. I would not offer that to my clients as it isn't as smooth as it was plus it doesn't have the self healing top coat.

OP
OP
E

Elohim1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well , I guess I am going with xpel, no suntek installers close to where I live. I am just doing rockers and sills.dont see any need for front bumper. I had 16K miles on a 03 and 6K miles on a 08 without a mark on the front bumper. The guy quoted me $350 for the job and wanted another $350 for the front bumper.

I guess I am stuck with covering the marks that already are on the rockers. Just dont want it to get worse.....

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
... By the way I see you on a few forums and you have quiet the reputation. Keep up the good work.

I'm a detailing *****. I get around. :D

It's a shame to hear about some of the better known brands going by the wayside. I've spoken with the Avery top dogs and they definitely know the business. It sounds as if profit margins are starting to rule the mindset at some of these places. Too bad.

XSTAR_007

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have XPEL on my Esky after a lot of debating varoius options. Debated doing it on the Viper for the stills, but I just had them resprayed and then bought the Stone Guards (Front and Rear) from Dan. My car is black and I think they blend in nicely. Have put about 2k miles of driving and they have keep the rocks away!

hyph

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just had my viper completed by Texas Venom and they did a great job! The film is very clear and no orange peel at all. Thom showed up at my house on time and completed the whole car in about 3 hours with the help of his assistant.

I highly recommend him if you're in the DFW area. His website is: http://www.pro-tectmobile.com/

mblgjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This ENTIRE McLaren 12C is wrapped in Xpel's current/best film.

I was just in the Mc showroom one day before looking at this car with Xpel. Outside in natural light, I'd say you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. Inside under the shop lighting; there is only *minute* change in look of the paint since the film mimics any orange peel; etc.

You must be registered for see images attach

For anyone in the Boston, MA area take a look @ Rick of Unique Car Care in Stoneham. He'll be done with mine tomorrow; doing the front end/lights/side sills in Xpel

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's why we prefer Suntek over Xpel Ultimate. Although both films are self healing Suntek is perfectly smooth. There is no texture difference between the paint and the film.

mblgjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh well. Xpel Ultimate *is* a nice film though. It's not something that is a total dealbreaker for me. In a few years I'm sure there will be something "better".

I went with Xpel because I knew the installer was excellent and it would look correct once on the car. And it does :)

To be clear, the Xpel film VIRTUALLY goes away. In natural sunlight, 99.99% of people aren't going to be able to tell the difference between the bare paint and where the film is. Viewing my car from the front (Shadow blue pearl) you really don't see the film. With the car clean, I can barely see the back edge of the film when standing at the drivers door getting into the car. It is NOTHING like the older films; or the 3M film of yore.

It's good to know there's at least 2 really good films on the market right now.

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh I agree. That's why I carry both films. Both are excellent films *** much better than what was out even 5 years ago. We just prefer the Suntek film as it is perfectly smooth. But either film will be a great choice.