Reaction score
Vipers finish 8 and 9.

GT Pro Podium: Porsche, Porsche, Aston Martin

Overall Podium: Audi, Toyota, Audi

GT Am Podium: Porsche, Ferrari, Ferrari

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And they finished 8 and 9 out of 10 running. Beat by Porsche and Corvette. Pretty sad again for SRT especially compared to the old Oreca GTSR that truly kicked butt. Not good for win on Sunday and buy on Monday either (for some). The talk of testing is over. Its been tested. Qualified toward the back too in class. On a more important note it amazes me that a memorial lap by all cars running did not happen after the end of the race, in dedication to Simonson who was killed in the opening minutes.

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it was a good running for Viper.First time back in a long time. New car and both finished. Remember that allthe cars are restricted. You pay your dues in development when it comes to thisrace.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's obvious that the cars are restricted to a point of castration. Time to stop crying about the old Oreca days, different rules, different cars, different era. Time to move forward and understand that these cars require more development for the current set of restrictions placed on them. The street car makes nearly 50% more power than the race car today. During the Oreca era the race cars made much more power than the street cars.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder to what extent these race results will play a role in future rule-making regarding the Viper, both in ALMS/UnitedSportsCar and at LeMans.

Common sense would seem to dictate that the GTS-R's are slightly over-restricted and unable to keep truly competitive pace. But a bit of cynicism by race series organizers might be difficult to overcome: they may believe that the team runs slow because of the learning curve in completely sorting out car set-ups and/or race strategies. Also possible (highly cynical, but possible) that this year's LeMans results will be seen in the context of SRT prioritizing finishing over reaching the podium.

I'm a new fan of GT racing, with incomplete knowledge. I guess I'd be interested to know some of the raw data from this year's LeMans, mainly top speeds (and perhaps turn exit speeds) that would allow us to evaluate the GTS-R's vs. their competitors from a strictly performance-based perspective. That said, it's understood that the car setup impacts these measures, and makes these comparisons less clear.

What can't be questioned are the performances of the drivers, and I congratulate them on successful finishes for both cars and thank them for all of the effort and preparation that they put into this race.

Rich