250 miles in on my Viper - a few things I don't like...

Status
Not open for further replies.

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen V looks like a Gen II - plain and simple. How about that OP?

Unclean entrance and exits - compared to what? Anyways, solution: try getting in and out of an elise with the top on a few times. That will fix this issue you are experiencing.

A

OP
OP
P

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had to chuckle at that comment... because we often chuckle at absurd statements.

If they weren't true then SRT wouldn't be trying to "broaden the market and reach new customers" with the Gen 5.

Bought new Viper in Stryker red and complains about attention. Check.

Did I? Or did I say something about people touching my car when it's parked. Yeah, it was the latter. I didn't buy the car for other people, I bough it for me BTW.

Your wrong about the hood. Lock the car and try to open it, mine won't open. There's a solenoid you can see on the latch mechanism when the hood is open that must be controlling that. If you can open yours then the solenoid isn't doing its job.

Or he has the key fob in his pocket which is allowing the hood and doors to open. PeerBlock--lock the car and take your key fob away from the immediate proximity of the car. Return to the car without the fob and try to open it up.....don't ask how I know LOL

No there's no solenoid that locks the hood, at least not on my car. I did not have the fob in my pocket which is how I discovered that the horn goes off if one attempts to open the hood while the car is locked. The fob was in my house, far from the car and the car was locked. Hood still opens.

Great way to welcome yourself, by ******* on all Viper owners of the previous generations. :rolleyes:

Not really. The previous generations of the viper were not complete cars which is why they appealed to such a small number of people. Learn to be objective. The Gen 5 is vastly better than any of the vipers before it and NOBODY is going to disagree with that unless they're a butthurt whiner. Time for you to trade in, trade up and shut up.

Agree, but he said this the wrong way.

No, I did not. I said it truthfully.

Agree, this statement irritated me. I don't think he meant it to come out like that though. It would be like saying: "no Ferrari prior to the 360 is worth owning (because they are mainainance nightmares, real or perceived)" .

Wait, how many ferraris per year are sold? How many vipers were sold Gen 1-4 combined and how often are they driven? People need to get over this whole nostalgia kick and false notion that owning a previous generation viper somehow makes them "better" than new owners.

This is the Gen 5 forum, not the "lets reminisce about how good we thought the Gen 4 and lower used to be".

Agree, and thank you. I've never been an "interior" guy. My Gen 3 has the basic stuff to get the job done. Not that I don't like super luxury, it's just that it's never been a deal breaker for me. I just had an issue with his disrespectful comments towards both the Viper and the Honda. No call for that.

Basic stuff to get the job done does not elevate it to a vehicle priced at $90K when GM offers a better equipped vehicle for $70K that gets the job done just as well and has an interior that is better than a Neon. If you have a problem with facts and truth then don't read my posts/threads. You seem to be struggling with denial. The older vipers were $20K sports cars with $40K powertrains sold for $30K too much...which is why the viper got axed while the corvette, 911 and other cars in that $100K-$200K price range lived on.

The Gen 5 is the first viper that gets it right and is fully justified in being priced in the $100-$150K range.
If you just want "basic performance" get a motorcycle - that's quite basic.

Gen V looks like a Gen II - plain and simple. How about that OP?

Unclean entrance and exits - compared to what? Anyways, solution: try getting in and out of an elise with the top on a few times. That will fix this issue you are experiencing.

How about what? Everyone knows what I say is true and that you're just making things up.

Pointing out that there are other cars that have challenging entrance/exit procedures does not change the fact that the viper does too and that it's a small point of contention for me. I was quite clear in explaining why I posted this.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not really. The previous generations of the viper were not complete cars which is why they appealed to such a small number of people. Learn to be objective. The Gen 5 is vastly better than any of the vipers before it and NOBODY is going to disagree with that unless they're a butthurt whiner. Time for you to trade in, trade up and shut up.

Trade in an ACR for Gen V? Naaaaa.
I would hope a Viper designed a decade later than the outgoing model would be vastly better. Just a shame doing so they had to bring the tools out of the tool shed.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LMFAO. SRT wasn't joking when they said they wanted to attract a new breed of Viper owner with the GenV. :rolaugh:

Ain't that the truth.. Such a shame my original post was removed ;)
( . )( . )

PeerBlock said:
This is the Gen 5 forum, not the "lets reminisce about how good we thought the Gen 4 and lower used to be".

OP
OP
P

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LMFAO. SRT wasn't joking when they said they wanted to attract a new breed of Viper owner with the GenV. :rolaugh:

Can you blame them? The existing viper owners seem very bitter and resentful while the new ones who became owners due to the Gen 5 are generally amicable and helpful people.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you blame them? The existing viper owners seem very bitter and resentful while the new ones who became owners due to the Gen 5 are generally amicable and helpful people.

And some wonder why existing owners don't want to be part of the VCA anymore....

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score

With one exception. See nearest mirror. Your problem is ego, and thinking you are the most intelligent person on this site. Your condescending nature speaks volumes about you. Buying the latest and greatest vehicle doesn't make you superior to everyone else here.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow! And for the record, I owned a 2000 Neon (very reliable, by the way) and the interior of my 2003 Viper is a "bit" better, LOL.

Peer Block, I understand the points you're trying to make. Believe me, I appreciate blunt honesty as much as the next guy, but your comments do come across as a bit disrepectful. We'll agree to disagree here, and I am glad you are enjoying the new car. If I could afford one, I probably be in one.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL Look there's nothing wrong with an ACR; in fact, its awesome! The Gen V is like a Gen II on steroids which is great too. I've always liked the brand in general and I'm glad to finally have one. I do think that the refinements and improved interior has convinced some cross over buyers to experiment here...guilty. But it would appear that 90% of orders were for the GTS model with the extra refinements and upgraded finishes(to the surprise of most including SRT) So clearly it was something that was in demand. I wonder if 50% of that 90% are owners of previous generations and if 50% of them are newbies. Would love to know the consumer demographic there. In any event its appealed to a broad range of enthusiast and I dont think thats a bad thing.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
70% orders were GTS. Now how many of those are from dealers trying to get the most revenue?
I am willing to bet if the Gen V was built only to order (sold cars) the comparison between the 2 would be much closer.

Case and point.. How many GTS' are sitting on dealer lots unsold right now compared to SRT's?

Last edited:

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL good point. there's many on lots..so many that guys like me canceled their order and just bought one already built. This thing is a beast...I havent gotten out of third gear yet....LOL

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
How about what? Everyone knows what I say is true and that you're just making things up.

Pointing out that there are other cars that have challenging entrance/exit procedures does not change the fact that the viper does too and that it's a small point of contention for me. I was quite clear in explaining why I posted this.

Hmmm, okay, so;

Gen III/IV's look like S2000's [what you said] - TRUE
Gen V looks like a Gen II [what I said] - Making things up

This thread is going to be interesting :eater::eater:

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've owned a Gen 2, two Gen 3s, and now two Gen 4s. I've also recently driven a Gen 5 (SRT not a GTS) for a bit over 100 miles. Here's what I like about the Gen 5:

1) Fit and finish of the exterior is simply superior to any previous Gen car. However, see dislikes below.
2) Interior is waaaaay better than any previous Gen car.
3) Stereo sounds great even in the SRT. I understand the GTS is even better.
4) Cruise control.
5) Electronic gauges - truly great.
6) Performance, this thing moves.
7) Exhaust note, except as noted below.
8) Rear end design is nice. **** actually.
9) Wheels are nice.
10) Rear tires are reallllllllly wide!
11) Window swtiches return to the doors.
12) The ride is much better than any previous gen car. Feels solid.

Things I didn't like:

1) I could not get comfortable in the seats no matter what I did. The owner of the particular car I drove echoed this sentiment. After 100 miles on the interstate my back hurt.
2) The hood vents look cheap, should have been stainless steel mesh or something more exotic.
3) Grille looks cheap and seems pretty flimsy. I think it would look better in body color too.
4) Gearing isn't to my liking. I live in CO and the distances out here are vast and the speed limits high. At 80mph the Gen 5 was revving much higher than my Gen 4 even in 6th. Exhaust note, while pleasant at lower rpms got tiring at 2300RPMs.
5) I don't like the front end design although this might be improved if the grille was body color (IMO).
6) Auto dimmiing mirror that has no off switch. I never dim my mirror, my eyes need all the light they can get. You simply should be able to turn the auto dimming feature off.
7) Other than Stryker Red, they need more in your face colors (SSG, VBB, VVO, whatever).
8) Front of car really hard to see. Where does the hood end? I suppose I'd get used to this.
9) No vert or ACR yet although you can see if you open rear hatch that it is already designed to accept a wing. :)
10) No glove box, or did I not see it??

There were probably a few other items in both lists but that's what I most remember.

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW this is a very interesting thread indeed. You do realize the bare bones of your car is still a Gen 4 with upgrades. Please park your car next to a gen 4 coupe and look closely.

BlueLIGHTNING

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Saying old Vipers are not worth owning is like saying 427 Shelby Cobra is not worth owning. The Viper was a updated Cobra, now its trying to be a Ferrari and trying to appeal to new owners who want cup holders.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
70% orders were GTS. Now how many of those are from dealers trying to get the most revenue?
I am willing to bet if the Gen V was built only to order (sold cars) the comparison between the 2 would be much closer.

Case and point.. How many GTS' are sitting on dealer lots unsold right now compared to SRT's?

The Viper and cars like it tend to be "loss leaders", that is they're sold more for image than for revenue. Dealers by their nature want to sell cars but the ones who sell Vipers do or should understand that they're not going to experience a deluge of sales for such an expensive car, especially with the obamaconomy still going strong.

I'm still curious as to why you won't get a Gen 5. Do you want to keep your ACR just to say you have it, as opposed to owning a car you'll actually use? I would be willing to bet money that whatever time you spend driving your ACR right now, you'll at least double that in a Gen 5.

With one exception. See nearest mirror. Your problem is ego, and thinking you are the most intelligent person on this site. Your condescending nature speaks volumes about you. Buying the latest and greatest vehicle doesn't make you superior to everyone else here.

If that's your takeaway of me then who am I to argue. I try to provide helpful and correct information, but mainly I'm here as a CAR enthusiast with no particular brand loyalties. I enjoy various makes and models, and I'm not so up tight about a pleasure hobby that I can't joke about it. You're taking comments posted casually on an internet forum way too seriously if you're that bent out of shape.

I would not trade my Gen II for your Gen V. <-----Not resentful or bitter.

Sure, but why not?

So clearly it was something that was in demand. I wonder if 50% of that 90% are owners of previous generations and if 50% of them are newbies. Would love to know the consumer demographic there. In any event its appealed to a broad range of enthusiast and I dont think thats a bad thing.

The new viper definitely has a broader appeal so I think that SRT is attracting new buyers, and I think it resonates with people who like cars in general since it has, in my opinion, dethroned the Corvette as America's top supercar.

Hmmm, okay, so;

Gen III/IV's look like S2000's [what you said] - TRUE
Gen V looks like a Gen II [what I said] - Making things up

The Gen 3 is a deviation but the Gen 4 gave up the **** lines that really gave the viper its distinct look.
The Gen 2 looked good, especially for its time, and the Gen 5 continues the viper look and modernizes it. It's hardly plain.

The bottom line is that the Gen 5 has it all; you're not giving anything up by stepping up to a Gen 5...and in fact, anyone who claims to be a Viper fan should buy a new one to support SRT and ensure that the car continues to be built and supported.

WOW this is a very interesting thread indeed. You do realize the bare bones of your car is still a Gen 4 with upgrades. Please park your car next to a gen 4 coupe and look closely.

This kind of argument holds no water with me. It's like saying that all humans are basically the same because they're all basically meat draped over a frame of bones - and we know that's not true...you're making a gross oversimplification with a statement like that. The differences between the Gen 5 and all previous versions culminate in a result that is far greater than the apparent subtleties of the changes themselves.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm still curious as to why you won't get a Gen 5. Do you want to keep your ACR just to say you have it, as opposed to owning a car you'll actually use? I would be willing to bet money that whatever time you spend driving your ACR right now, you'll at least double that in a Gen 5.

Based on what? All your previous Viper ownership experience?

I drove my ACR to the office twice last week, on 2 separate occasions yesterday and will be driving it into the office twice again this week. I drive it to the post office, to FedEx, to the grocery store. I picked up Pizza in it this weekend. Just because it's not a Gen V doesn't mean you can't drive it on the street. :drive:

Man your clueless ego shows through and through. Keep diggin.:crazy2:

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can appreciate all Vipers. Each year the car evolves into what it has become today. The Gen 5 is the culmination of every Viper with a little Ferrari DNA mixed in and modern technology thrown in. A lot of the issues on the previous Vipers have been addressed more drastically than previous GENS. Would I get rid of my ACR for a NEW car, Probably not, but I do not think any less of the previous versions either. The GEN 5 does bring in a whole new audience which is good for the brand and the car. Die hard Viper fans all have their favorites no matter what track times they run.

Enjoy every Gen Viper.

Bruce

BlueLIGHTNING

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gen 3 was a deviation and Gen 4 gave up the **** lines?? Only difference in looks between the two was the hood and mechanicals which you can't see and ACR package.

V

VCA Forum Staff

Please make sure we are keeping this thread on topic.

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure, but why not?

Because FOR ME the Gen II GTS is exactly what a Viper should be. I revel in it's primitive nature. You and I are both Viper fans, we just have different ideas of what that means. Your apparent belief that your opinion is more correct than mine is where you come off as arrogant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala