Thread: Dukes of Hazard General Lee #239, LEE 1, Mopar 383....sell it or not?????

Reply to Thread
    Enthusiast

Default Dukes of Hazard General Lee #239, LEE 1, Mopar 383....sell it or not?????

I have a chance to be involved of selling a piece of T.V. history, and was wondering if I should sell the car or not?
    It is one of the three original General Lee's from the show Dukes of Hazard. It is the real deal, documents, COA, build sheet fro Warner Bros, etc..
    I know that there alot of gearheads out there that would love to have a piece of history.

Any feedback?

VCA Member
    New Jersey

Default Re: Dukes of Hazard General Lee #239, LEE 1, Mopar 383....sell it or not?????

02 GTS graphite, 19/20 ISS 3 piece forged, cold air intake, smooth tubes, high flow cats, corsa, SCT by ROE, mopar shifter, SRT10 brakes,wireless cruise control, belanger headers, thermal wrap, 440/503

VCA Member
    NY / CT

Default Re: Dukes of Hazard General Lee #239, LEE 1, Mopar 383....sell it or not?????

I would assume that you would be selling this at a Barret Jackson, Russo and Steel, Mecum type of auction. You'd want as many people as possible to know that this car was for sale. Not only does it appeal to Mopar fans but it appeals to TV fans as well. The issue with selling it right now is that Mopar prices are still very depressed in a recovering market. Do you need the money?
    2010 ACR Roadster Yellow w/ driver's stripe (#9 of 20)
    2006 SRT-10 Bumblebee Coupe, VEC 3, Corsa Exhaust (SOLD)
    SUPPORT TATOR'S GARAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VCA Member
    Southern California
    W Zone Director

Be really careful here. That blond guy from the show seems to always have one of these for sale.
    Paul Hawker, San Diego
    Baby you can drive my car,
    beep beep, beep beep YEA!

VCA # 05669

Viper Owner

The car isn't really worth much. I would sell it.

I'll give you $5,000 for it, just as a consolation.

VCA Member
    Houston

Quote Originally Posted by mike1kmc View Post
    I have a chance to be involved of selling a piece of T.V. history, and was wondering if I should sell the car or not?
    It is one of the three original General Lee's from the show Dukes of Hazard. It is the real deal, documents, COA, build sheet fro Warner Bros, etc..
    I know that there alot of gearheads out there that would love to have a piece of history.

Any feedback?
    The longer you hold on to an ORIGINAL such as this, the price will only go up. There are many replicas running around now and makes originals even more worthy and desired.
    2009 ACR Hardcore

VCA Member
    Virginia / Maryland

What exactly does "I have a chance to be involved" mean?

If you are personally selling it I would suggest doing so as a last
    possible resort right now - The clone market is ridiculiously high
    right now on General Lees and combined with the really soft car
    market you're probably not going to see the returns youre hoping
    for.

Otherwise I wouldn't even try to sell a car of this "caliber" for
    another person ESPECIALLY considering the market. You will
    never get as much as the person is hoping for and I doubt the
    commission will be enough to pay for the envitible drama that
    will come from it.

Viper GTSR 91:
    There are many replicas running around now and makes originals
    even more worthy and desired.
    I couldn't disagree more. Collectables today are the focus of true
    automotive connoisseurs while the average guy with cash reserves
    would rather have a fully restored, drivable, clone that he could
    show off. And I will be honest, I don't have a problem with that in
    the least - seeing cars tucked away on a shelf, never even started
    up, just makes me a little sick to my stomach.
    Last edited by Bonkers; 07-13-2013 at 02:12 PM.
    I drive WAY too fast to be worried about cholesterol.

VCA Member
    Houston

mike1kmc let us know what happens if you do decide to get involved with the sale of this rare piece. Take a look at the many B. Jackson or Mecum auto auctions. Rare originals such as the 60's Shelby Cobra, 67 Vette, and some others such as this car command and get much higher bids than clones or replicas. I have a good friend who has a 100% clone of the Dukes car but he would give anything to own an original.
    2009 ACR Hardcore

Enthusiast

I'm of the belief that tv cars will always hold value as long as there are buyers nostalgic for that show. I was born in 1970 and loved watching Dukes of Hazzard and not just for Catherine Bach! I figure in 30-35 years from now the market will begin to taper off, so if you're buying the car as part of an investment, I'd target a 20-25 year plan to sell it at auction when guys like me will be 65-70 and should have time and money to buy and hold a tv icon car such as the General Lee.

The real batmobile just sold for crazy money and even the replicas aren't cheap.....maybe in the next few years they'll even do a Dukes of Hazzard movie for the young people of today.

Please keep us posted what you decide to do.

Regards,
    Aaron

Enthusiast

I can promise you that this is NOT a clone. This is #GL230. I have the build sheet from Warner Brothers, COA, it is autographed by Cathrine Bach, and all the documents that shows that this is the car that was used in the opening of the T.V. show. We got the car over a trade after he took it out of the museum he had it in. We are awaiting the original 318 engine - it has the Mopar one now.

Viper Owner

If you need the money, sell it.

If you don't need the money, keep it.

Viper Owner

The market will be high on that car when the generation that watched the show has money. When they get older and start to clear out there things the value of that car will fall. I am 40 and watched that show as a kid. I would think there is a good 10 year window on selling that car.

VCA Member
    Ontario, Canada

lets see some pics

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Chelseasnake View Post
    lets see some pics
    +1

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Viper Owner

[QUOTE=AFL in NJ;3196644.....maybe in the next few years they'll even do a Dukes of Hazzard movie for the young people of today.
    [/QUOTE]

They just did one in 2005. They had a Dukes of Hazzard reunion this past March near me, but I decided not to attend.OP, Good luck with whatever you decide.

Enthusiast

Let me know if your friend would like to own this original?

Enthusiast

Is this one of those "If you have to ask how much, you can't afford it" deals?

Enthusiast

No, it is being sold for $91,700.00
    And it will be shipped anywhere in the U.S. except Alaska and Hawaii.

Viper Owner

Always hard to beat an original! I'd love to have one but I'd rather get one cheaper and change things up a bit. Nothing to different just add a little bit here and there. I do like Kenny Wayne Shepard's Xtreme Lee and I found a different one the other day that was pretty cool. Good luck if you decide to sell it!

VCA Associate Member

^ that is one sick ride

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by CEJ View Post
    If you need the money, sell it.

If you don't need the money, keep it.

This makes way too much sense....

Viper Owner

can we jump a big ditch or something in it first to make shure it will still hold up?

Enthusiast