Gen II GTS Fuel Tank Issue

Intrazel

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Curious on updates as well, I just bought a 2001 GTS and I find myself always checking for puddles after reading this thread.

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
You may not get an actual leak on the floor, but you will get a strong gas odor in your garage ...

This really *****, but with Luis V's help was able to switch out the tank with a newer one ... Jon B helped get me a very low milage tank.

This does ****!!!!

blownrunner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I looked up repairing these fuel tanks as, surprise, guess what mine did? I bought a 98' tank, which has a different OVRS setup than the 2000-2002's so the rollover valve and charcoal canister shutoff valve will need to be transferred to the new tank; it can be done but what a pain as two holes will need to be made in the new tank, then I was thinking to get an older pump assembly to go with the new tank so I wouldn't have to do any modifying, this is getting ridiculous. Took a closer look at the 98' tank: the construction on the 98 tank uses no glue or adhesives. It has what appears to be two halves of the tank 'plastic welded' together. The tank also has PEHD on it indicating the type of plastic it is made from.

BAD BAD NEWS: Nothing bonds to this type of plastic as it is resistant to chemicals, not permanently anyway so forget all that stuff at AutoZone. Even if I find a replacement, a replacement could have the same problem as my existing tank at the fill inlet. Talked to Doug Levin whom says that many 2002's have this problem and how to replace it. At the fill port there is the checkvalve for the refueling hose, which looks like it is inserted with maybe adhesive or a seal and you can definitely see an seam where it is inserted.

Did more research and it turns out that the fuel system is supposed to be closed and airtight. When you refill the tank and open the gascap, you should hear the pressure in the tank escaping, which of course mine doesn't indicating a leak. It seems BMW has problems with the plastic on their ORVS systems as well where it deteriorates and throws a code. Heard stories of people getting the MIL light on newer cars because they did not screw the gas cap on all the way. There is a pump that pressurizes the fuel system and the ECM can tell if there is a leak if there is a pressure drop, which tells the driver that there is a leak somewhere.

NOW FOR THE GOOD NEWS: You can repair plastics by welding back together but you can only use HDPE rods on the HDPE tank. I have not confirmed what the 2000-2002's tanks are made from as I need to look at the federal label on the tank and it will need to be removed to do this. So I need to get some HDPE rods and I will report back how it works in a few weeks to a month. Instead of messing around getting the fuel tank de-fueled, I am just going to take it auto events until it gets about 1/8 tank level and then dive into it, I do not see the advantage to removing the tank to do the repair compared to doing it in right rear wheelwell. The fuel smell went away after I got just below 3/4 tankful, so for a quick solution just fill it up with 10 gallons, no more, and it shouldn't leak, from the fill port anymore, is this safe? Thats a question you need to answer. BTW, it looks pretty simple to do this repair and it can be done for the cost of tools of $70.00...

Last edited:

blownrunner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finished the repair and buttoned everything up. I am pretty confident that the repair went well. Don't know if anyone still cares about updates though...

blownrunner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Used a wire brush with MEK to clean the area, then a soldering iron to repair the disbonded original weld, then applied a second weld over the original around the entire circumference of the filler neck. Look up plastic welding on utube. Pretty neat that I didn't have to remove the tank to make the repair.

blownrunner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never mind, talked to Doug Levin who stated the fumes could have started a fire, said I should have removed the tank first and filled with water before working on it, so proceed at your own risk.

Surfer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is this still going on? Any other members experiencing this problem? I am about to purchase a low mileage (14k miles) '02 GTS. Had a thorough PPI completed and all they found was an AC shrader valve leak, low on refrigerant. Never heard of this before now.

Last edited:

Surfer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
you realize the shrader valve is nowhere near the fuel tank right ? its on the intake
Yes, I do. That's why I specified in my post that the shrader valve was associated with the air conditioning system and not fuel. I was just wondering if gas tank leaks have become a common problem because I had never heard of gas tank leaks until now (days away from buying this car). The shrader valve is scheduled to be replaced and the refrigerant topped off next week. I noticed on the test drive that although cold, the AC could have been colder. A PPI located the problem, completely unrelated to fuel. I just thought since it is scheduled to go back in, I should probably have the tech inspect the gas tank and filler neck for cracks and/or leaks.

Attachments

• IMG_1260.jpg
    IMG_1260.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 10

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 01 GTS is fine. Not sure as to why some are having issues. We kicked a few ideas around...ethanol mix, race gas, some other octane improvement concoction folks were running that effected these tanks. We never nailed anything definative dwn. I think 4-5 yrs ago when this issue hit he interweb, I researched these tanks and discovered they were made in some former Soviet Country. I had to laugh at that.

Edt: Oh snap...that thread was on page 2 of THIS thread!! BahhHahhh.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper