'13 GT500 vs '13 Viper - Video

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good run actually. I'm kind of surprised the Mustang got the hit on that. I would have figured the monster power the Mustang it putting out being hard to hook out of the whole. Good driving on the part of the Mustang driver, but the outcome is about what it should have been. The Vipers light weight and the Mustangs heavy weight did come into play. Once the Supercharged cars start getting a pulley and a little tuning, they will be hard to hang with. The GenV is just a beast, plain and simple. Now put them on a real track and let's see the spread.

NastyGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm waiting for a guy to post up a video similar to this from last weekend......except the GTS walked him not once, not twice, but three times. Of course this happened on a closed course.

Voice of Reason

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was surprised to see it get the jump out of the hole, looks like the Viper bogged for a second. GT500 has mild mods so this isn't unexpected.

Good run

OP
OP
J

jsd512

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing I wonder, is the GT500 owner disclosing all mods? People are liars, so I never trust people 100%. We know (pretty much) that there are no mods for the '13 Vipers yet, right? Either way, the second race was telling.

NO HEMI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That gt had more than that, once
You go with exhaust and intake on those cars u usually already have added a tune and a pulley which counts for more than 725 hp, so it was a good race for the viper

OP
OP
J

jsd512

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You go with exhaust and intake on those cars u usually already have added a tune and a pulley which counts for more than 725 hp, so it was a good race for the viper

That's what I'm thinking also. The guy did not reveal the true extent of his mods.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can see comparing the Viper to the Ford GT, since they're the two most exotic and best American supercars ever made; but mustang? not even close.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

With intake tube, throttle body and x pipe you must have a tune. I've had more than 7 mustangs, including and '11 GT500 and now a '14 GT500. Based on seeing the engine and hearing it, I'd say no pulley. On the 13-14s most guys don't bother with a pulley. I pulled my '11 but with the '14 they dyno at 600+ rwhp, throttle body, I take and tune are good for 70+rwhp, x pipe and you're at 100rwhp total increase and this comes with a tune. The pulley swap is only good for about 2psi, barely worth messing with when you're at 700 rwhp so easily and at less than $1500. This no surprise and the Viper ran well just keeping up. My GT500 would smoke my Viper, but it's no Viper. It's super cool and I love it, but they are very different.

Until the gen5 can be modded, you can tweak almost anything to be faster than it with the aftermarket. The GT500 just happens to be really cheap and easy to do and rock solid at anything under 850hp. But only a Viper holds the Laguna record, get them on a road course and all nets are off.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Voice of Reason

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can see comparing the Viper to the Ford GT, since they're the two most exotic and best American supercars ever made; but mustang? not even close.

The GT500 is a worthy opponent for a straight line race. It falls short in other areas because no matter how hard it tries its still based on the same $20k V6 that rolled off the assembly line before it. But Ford deserves a lot of credit for what they've done with that driveline, 662 hp and mod abibility is nothing to sneeze at.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the GT500...it pushes all the muscle car manufacturers to do better...offer more for less. Great motor for what you pay, hopefully it will push the C7 performance variants and future Vipers to outdo the GT500 on horsepower. The rest, well...it's a Mustang, so it is what it is... :smirk:

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are people really paying 10k+ over MSRP on these GT500s? nearly 80k :omg:

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The thing is that even if you lose a race in a viper, you're still winning just by being the guy in the viper. :D

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can see comparing the SSC Ultimate Aero to the Saleen S7, since they're the only two true American supercars ever made; The Viper stands alone as the most exotic and best American sports car ever made...but mustang? not even close.

Fixed it for you ;)

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like mine better. Have you seen the APPRECIATION in value on the Ford GT? Few years back you could grab a nice one for a buck and a half. Now it's not uncommon to see them listed well over 200k.

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GT500 is a worthy opponent for a straight line race. It falls short in other areas because no matter how hard it tries its still based on the same $20k V6 that rolled off the assembly line before it. But Ford deserves a lot of credit for what they've done with that driveline, 662 hp and mod abibility is nothing to sneeze at.

This is the absolute flaw of the shelby and the thing I don't like about mine, it is still based off a 20k v6.

I like mine better. Have you seen the APPRECIATION in value on the Ford GT? Few years back you could grab a nice one for a buck and a half. Now it's not uncommon to see them listed well over 200k.

The FGT now sells for around 200-220k depending on miles. The only time you could get them close to MSRP was around 1 year after the 2006 came out. After they announced them discontinued their values went through the roof.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In a GTR & McLaren world it seems that just throwing more horsepower at something by putting a bunch of parts together without any real engineering is insufficient.

A four cylinder Lotus with a suspension that allows it to bend and turn might be able to take most of these cars when the straight line starts to curve

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235