Looking for a gen 4 diff

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
So after a minor off-roading incident in my 04, the diff has been making some noise. The car seems to drive fine, but it's got a bit of a whine that's most noticeable at cruise to light throttle input above 40 mph. You can faintly hear it still under harder acceleration, but it's definitely loudest when cruising in high gears at low rpm (like doing 55-60 in 6th). Anyway, long story short I'm debating a rebuild/replacement. I figure if I'm going to be in there anyway and depending on what I might need to replace, it might be just as easy to upgrade. My preference would be a center section swap though to avoid messing with gear setup issues.

Does a gen 4 center bolt directly up to a gen 3 rear cover (or is the gen 4 cover different to begin with)? I've asked Unitrax about a Wavetrac or some other options, but I really don't feel like spending that much after what I've already had to spend on some body panels and paintwork. If it does fit, does anyone have a gen 4 takeout laying around and could give me an idea of price? I see a few gen 3 complete setups in the classifieds, but if it's not much more I'd rather go with the newer GKN over the gen 3 Hydra-Lok.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen IV cover will bolt right up.

If you go back with Gen III, I have one ill work a deal with you on.

Reaction score
I have a 5038307AC, newest part number would be an AE version though out of an 08', case and all or we can work a deal with us taking just the diff apart.

OP
OP
MoparMap

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
*** sent. My big question right now is how many times I feel like doing this job. I set up the rear in my 67 Dart, but it had shims and a collar instead of the crush sleeve, so I could get it wrong a few times until I was happy with the pattern. I'm debating taking mine out some time next week to assess the possible damage to see if I can fix it with just some new bearings, but I'd rather not get into the gear setup if I don't have to and really don't want to sideline the car for an extended period again. Going three weeks without it was hard enough on me while I waited for parts and paint.

Anyone have an idea where they think the problem is based on the symptoms? Doesn't seem to have any extra clunking noises in it (over the usual driveline lash of a Viper). The whine is noticeable as low as 30 mph or so, but you typically have to be in third or fourth for it to be more pronounced. The service manual suggests one of the pinion bearings (don't remember which went with which condition front/rear to coast/accel). Turning doesn't seem to have any effect on it either as far as I can tell. Will try some tests on the driveshaft and input yoke when I get home today to see if anything seems overly loose, but open to suggestions of what I should look for or test.

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the stock diff taken out of my 09 at 10,000km or 6000 miles if your interested? Ron

willworkforvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a gen 3 used diff, around 6000 miles on it. Differential in case and all only want 600 for it.

OP
OP
MoparMap

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for all the options everyone. Currently pursuing a trade possibility with someone since they're fairly local to me. Makes the shipping a little easier to bear and I can get rid of my diff without having it sit around for ages.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950