Why this effect after waxing?

Raven

Viper Owner
Reaction score
See the weird stripe- like effect? I just waxed this car last Saturday and did not notice this. What is it and how do I fix it!

I used Maguire's carnauba paste. Waxed inside my garage away from sunlight.

You must be registered for see images attach

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please post a higher resolution photo. I can't tell much from that one shot. Thanks.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's probably nothing more than you did a poor job at removing all of the wax. Common issue. You have to not only use a lot of light to see what you've done, you then need to pull the car out into direct sunlight in order to check it twice. You'd be surprised at what you will find.

OP
OP
R

Raven

Viper Owner
Reaction score
But why the striping? I put the wax on like I've waxed other black cars hundreds of times. Paste with an applicator by hand, a clean soft terry towel turned frequently to buff it off,

It looked great Saturday. Today, it looks like this.

You must be registered for see images attach

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you talking about the multiple stripes running the length of the pic? It's hard to tell from the picture, but there's no way that THOSE lines are from waxing it. It honestly looks like a reflection. That, or there's something really weird going on with the car. Those stripes are perfectly spaced apart with clean edges.

OP
OP
R

Raven

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Are you talking about the multiple stripes running the length of the pic? It's hard to tell from the picture, but there's no way that THOSE lines are from waxing it. It honestly looks like a reflection. That, or there's something really weird going on with the car. Those stripes are perfectly spaced apart with clean edges.

Those are in the finish not a reflection. I then used the instant Detailer and they went away.

Bizarre.

OP
OP
R

Raven

Viper Owner
Reaction score

This is what happened. My car 'cover' sheets are the source of the symmetrical stripes. Apparently, the stripes had some effect on the wax as it cured.

I must not have left the Sheets off long enough because I put them on that evening. The stripes match perfectly. But now I have waxed with the detailer and everything is gone so it looks great.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is that cover brand new... possible chemicals for the dye? I'm wondering if you didn't get "all" the wax rubbed off and left residue??
That's weird but I'm glad you got it fixed.

OP
OP
R

Raven

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The 'cover' is really only cotton sheets that have a slightly darker stripe effect throughout. Apparently the wax wasn't cured enough and the stripes had some effect on absorbing or allowing the wax to cure evenly.

Dumb mistake and something I never thought of. Good lesson though.

And, I am getting a different cover. Thanks!